Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Just got a bandsaw

On 7/12/11 11:14 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in

*snip*

7. Reduce tension until you next need to saw

Note that wood is going to drift when ripping/resawing; i.e., the
wood will want to go through the blade at an angle. That is normal.

Is reducing tension, say two or three twists on the tensioning knob
sufficient, or should I release it as much as I can?

I make it good and floppy...about 2 1/2 full turns. Just do the same each
time so you can retension it by reversing the number of turns.

Just for the sake of discussion...
There's a camp that says practicing this procedure actually decreases
the life of the blade, because it accelerates the work hardening of the
metal. Tension, release, tension, release, tension, release, over and
over again acts like the old bending a paper clip until it breaks
illustration.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)