Posted to rec.woodworking

Default your thoughts on metric

J. Clarke wrote:
: Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
: "HeyBub" wrote in message
: Look, MKS (Meter/Kilogram/Second) is okay for science and whatnot,
: but it just doesn't work for human use.
:
:
: It works in 80% of the world. It CAN work here if we want it to.

: So give us a reason to want it to. If you don't like the US then move
: somewhere more to your liking. Part of freedom is the freedom to
: leave.

And no country hs ever voluntarily adopted the metric system -- it's always
been legislated and forced upon the citizenry.

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Edwin, are _you_ going to buy me a new planer, new saw fences, a full
set of twist, brad point, and Forstner bits, new wrenches and sockets,
new tape measures and rulers, and redimension all my drawings? If
not, are you going to pay me the the cost of all of this? If not,
then why should I be in favor of something that puts me out of pocket
a quite large amount of money and confers to me no benefit that I can
discern.

So tell me, exactly, why you need a new planer and saw fences? Mine not
only do metric, they do Witworth too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 11, 5:12 pm, "Lee" wrote:
I am getting a bit fed-up with the 15/32...13/64... and the rest of the crap
measurements we use here. Why shouldn't I go to what the rest of the world
uses? Metric. Please no political BS. Seems like using 10's is a lot
easier.No I'm not too old to change (62).G

Ever since I bought this:
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...OD&ProdID=5412

I've had no trouble with all those thirtysecondses and sixtyfourths.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Lee" wrote in message
et...
I am getting a bit fed-up with the 15/32...13/64... and the rest of
the crap measurements we use here. Why shouldn't I go to what the
rest of the world uses? Metric. Please no political BS. Seems like
using 10's is a lot easier.No I'm not too old to change (62).G

There are absolutely no valid reasons NOT to use metric.

So what? What are the valid reason to NOT use the system we're
already using? If you want people to change their behavior you have
to give them a reason to do so, not simply tell them that there's no
reason not to.

I don't really give a damn if people change or not. It is just that there
is no valid reason to say one system is superior if both can get it done,
making no valid reason NOT to use it.

There are
plenty of people afraid of change. Use it steady for a few days and
you'll wonder why we did not change decades ago. We use it for our
money, we use it for some beverages.

Why would one wonder that after "using it steady for a few days"?

Because those closed minded individuals that think it is a bad system will
find that is not so bad, it is simple to use, and makes us compatible with
the rest of the world. Many people are afraid of change and fear having to
learn something new. After a couple of days you will have learned it an be
able to estimate how many meters a room dimension is.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Default what the hell did I start?

Thought I asked a simple question and it ended up with the "love it or leave
it" crap(don't ask an American native about that ) and mail / credit
cards. big grin
Seems to be even anger being expressed.
Oh well At least I got everyone thinking

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
... making no valid reason NOT to use it.

I contend comfort and familiarity _is_ a valid reason to retain it for
everyday activities...

....After a couple of days you will have learned it an be
able to estimate how many meters a room dimension is.

Meanwhile, still knowing that a gallon of paint covers about 350 sq-ft...

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Fri, Oct 12, 2007, 11:02am (EDT-3)
(Lew*Hodgett) doth sayeth:
Debit cards, the biggest screw job foisted on the public by the credit
card industry yet.
The day in hell has not yet gotten cold enough for me to have a debit
card.

Not the way I see it. Granted I pay a small monthly charge for
using a debit card. But I can go to an ATM machine and check just how
much I've got in my account. If I don't have enough in my account to
buy something, I don't get it then. Pretty simple, and keeps me from
geting things I don't really need. I like my debit card.

Credit card now, another matter. With one of those, I can go into a
store flat broke, and run up a $2-3000 debt in minutes. And pay heavy
interest if I don't pay it all off when the bill comes in. I was
getting hurt on credit card interest. Got a quick bank loan, paid 'em
all off, and the bank took a fraction of the interest to do it for me.
I DO still have a credit card. For emergency use only. And I haven't
had an emergency big enough yet to even dream about using it. It'd
basically have to be a life and death emergency before I'll even
consider using a credit card again. I can go to my bank and get a $2500
signature loan, pay very low interest, and even have them make automatic
payments - so why even consider a HD or Lowes credit card if I wanted to
buy new tools, or whatever? Debit card, yes; credit card, no.

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
And there you have it. People _want_ to. Nobody has suggested that a
person who _wants_ to change to metric should be prohibited from doing
so. So what are you on about?

I just like to irritate the hell out of you. I see it is working.

Hey, I never said we must change. I did said there is not a good reason
NOT to use it. You are getting all emotional as if you fear change.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

... and just how do you figure that, old man?

Simple.

If you use a credit card and something goes wrong, you dispute it and
retain the use of your money while the dispute.

If your credit card gets stolen and unauthorized charges are made, it
is the credit card companies responsibility to clean it up.

If you use a debit card is used, payment is instantenous.

If something goes wrong, you are on your own.

If the debit card is stolen and they drain your account, it's your
problem.

As I said, just another way for the credit card company to screw you.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Swingman" wrote:

... and just how do you figure that, old man?

Simple.

If you use a credit card and something goes wrong, you dispute it and
retain the use of your money while the dispute.

If your credit card gets stolen and unauthorized charges are made, it
is the credit card companies responsibility to clean it up.

If you use a debit card is used, payment is instantenous.

If something goes wrong, you are on your own.

If the debit card is stolen and they drain your account, it's your
problem.

On ours, notification within two days of loss limits liability of loss
to $50. Only after 60 days does it become unlimited.

Whether that is part of revised law or simply a particular card-issuer
policy, I couldn't say, but it was something I checked carefully before
taking it.

I rarely use it, however, preferring the float of the c-c instead.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Simple.

If you use a debit card is used, payment is instantenous.

If something goes wrong, you are on your own.

You're a bit behind times, Lew ... there are Federal laws now in effect
protecting the consumer for debit transactions.

If the debit card is stolen and they drain your account, it's your
problem.

Only if you wait 60 days after the fact before reporting a "problem" ... a
highly unlikely circumstance for one, like me, who does all his banking
online and checks balances daily, or more often.

As I said, just another way for the credit card company to screw you.

In my case, it not a credit card company that issued my bank check card,
it's my bank.

Repayment takes the same amount of time as if someone had
stolen/fraudulently cashed a check ...with the same proviso that they are
notified in a timely manner.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message

On ours, notification within two days of loss limits liability of loss
to $50. Only after 60 days does it become unlimited.

Whether that is part of revised law or simply a particular card-issuer
policy, I couldn't say, but it was something I checked carefully before
taking it.

Federal law is your above, plus ... providing notification is made _before_
the debit card is fraudulently used, there is zero liability.

My youngest daughter has a real DEBIT card issued by a bank and tied to
Visa's international network, but with no bank account that backs up the
card.

It is funded solely by my funds transfers, which can be made with a
credit/debit card, online or by phone, and which are real time INSTANTANEOUS
(when she was in Europe I was able to keep her funded to _my_ comfort level,
instantaneously, and without her having to carry more cash than necessary on
her person ... same when attending an urban cesspool high school, or doing
any traveling)

She has had it since jr high, and she's now a senior in college.

She momentarily lost it last semester, called me within a few minutes of
realizing the loss, and I logged on and "suspended" the card within minutes
of her losing it ... I could have done the same by phone.

I also notified the issuing bank on their 24 hour service just to be safe
.... their response was that their records indicated it was "suspended" and
could not be used, but thanks for the call anyway.

It was found and returned to her the next morning ...it took all of 30
seconds for me to logon and "unsuspend" the card, no further calls were
necessary.

It has proven to be one of the handiest, most convenient, safest ways of
insuring that she always has funds for whatever arises, from text books to
emergency cash, 24/7, no matter what country she's in, and as long as she
can get to a Visa merchant/ATM ... they're indeed everywhere.

For the better part of nine years it has been a source of convenience and
monetary peace of mind for me on her behalf ... I would NOT want her to
"leave home without it".

IIRC, Edwin might have done the same thing for his daughter at one point.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"dpb" wrote in message

[...]

Damn, that sounds good.

Any chance that you adopt me and give me one of these loving father debit
cards?

silly grin

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lou Newell" wrote in message
Main problem with Al's film is the title .. S/B "an Incomplete Truth"

The title is correct, An Inconvenient Truth. Inconvenient that the Truth is
not covered by the film.
20-25 years ago the political swing was that we were headed into the next
Ice Age. Now that all this change has come into effect the earth is
starting to warm. LOL. I was reading that one of the reasons that
hurricanes are becoming more frequent and stronger is because we are
cleaning up the upper atmosphere. With less of what ever the spray cans
were releasing the atmosphere is clearer and the sun heats the oceans up
more. The cure is killing us.
Today I heard that the storms 40-50 years ago were just as strong. I
agree, I went through a hurricane when I was 15 and thought I would be
killed. The official winds were recorded at less than 140 mph. Local wind
meters had sustained winds of over 160 mph. More thorough record keeping
makes storms seem stronger now. The storm I went through has recorded wind
speed at 12 noon and 6 that evening. The highest winds were between 3 and 4
pm. Another inconvenient truth.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Robatoy wrote:

Big Al's too busy destroying the credibility of the Nobel Prize
committee to be bothered with that right now.

They really should have just created a new category, the Nobel
Slinging Bull**** Prize.

I wonder what factor was used to decide that a film qualified for a Peace
Prize.
Jimmy Carter and Yassar Arafat won that prize which only points out its
absurdity.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Martin wrote:

Will it be the 1250x2500? Easier to work with the numbers, and it
will fit metric-built existing structures. But I'll have to trim
every piece to get it to fit, won't I?

Wonderful.

John Martin

How are you going to handle changing out a passage door? ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

{snip}
Why shouldn't I go to what the rest of the world uses? Metric.
{snip}

As for my Father, may he rest in peace, the conversion from the current
system to metric was an insult to his membership in the dominate culture of
the USA and his experience in WWII. He was a total flag waving, anthem
singing blue-collar union man who hated the prissy-management-class bosses.
He also hated the cronies and lickspittle of the bosses, the bankers.
Mention the conversion to Metric, and you got an hour long lecture (with
only occasional stops for breath) about communism, politicians, whores,
thieves, and worst of all, non-Protestant Irishmen (or something to do with
Orange and Ulster, I don't know as I stopped listening some 20 years before
his death.) None of his ranting was rational, logical, or supportable. But
he was still my Father.

There is a word in the dictionary for his attitude that America and its
dominate culture has a God mandated RIGHT to be correct in all things it
does and produces with only contempt for all things not USA. It is called
chauvinism. My father was an American AFL-CIO auto-worker Chauvinist.
Period. Any conversation about metric reminds me of my Father's ranting
about the evils of succumbing to the influences of Foreigners. (Foreigners
should be in bold, all caps, and underlined.)

Personally I don't care. I now have almost two tool towers and one tool
box. I have both Imperial and metric tools, plus some traditional
woodworking tools. IMHO, the story stick is where more woodworking should
be, not in arguments over tape measurement units. Remember, inches, feet,
yards and meters were imposed by the Bosses onto the workers of the world
for the convenience of the industrial revolution, factories, and
interchangeable parts.

(Oops, did I just show my unjustified, unsupported, and irrational
opinions?)

I am ONLY talking about myself and my father. I intend no smear or insult
to any others or any opinions they may hold.

Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Simple.

If you use a debit card is used, payment is instantenous.

If something goes wrong, you are on your own.

You're a bit behind times, Lew ... there are Federal laws now in effect
protecting the consumer for debit transactions.

Consumer Reports.org September, 2007 article states:

"Under federal law, your liability for fraudulent charges on a debit
card can be greater than it is for a credit card. With a credit card,
you're only responsible for up to $50 in unauthorized purchases. But
with a debit card, you can lose up to $500 if you don't report the theft
or loss of your card or PIN within two business days of discovering the
problem. And if you fail to report the unauthorized charges within 60
days of the date of the statement that lists them, you could be held
liable for any unauthorized withdrawals after that date. Those include
the full value of credit lines and funds in savings linked to your
checking account for overdraft protection."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...f-debit-ov.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default your thoughts on metric Nova

Lee wrote:

Your missing my point. I am talking about using metric in the current time
for measuring...not replacing what we have now when it comes to tools

With the crew I've been working with the last few days "Ticks" seems to
work best. ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" "Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Simple.

You're a bit behind times, Lew ... there are Federal laws now in effect
protecting the consumer for debit transactions.

Anything from the feds that happens on Bush's watch is at best looked at
with a jaundiced eye.

Having had my share of exchanges with the banking industry, stick wiith a
credit card any pay if off as perscribed.

At my age, it works for me.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message

Meanwhile, still knowing that a gallon of paint covers about 350 sq-ft...

So will 4 liters That is the same as what you get in two of those big
67.6 ounce soda bottles.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phil-In-Mich." wrote in message

As for my Father, may he rest in peace, the conversion from the current
system to metric was an insult to his membership in the dominate culture
of the USA and his experience in WWII. He was a total flag waving,
anthem singing blue-collar union man who hated the prissy-management-class
bosses.

IMHO, the story stick is where more woodworking should be, not in
arguments over tape measurement units. Remember, inches, feet, yards and
meters were imposed by the Bosses onto the workers of the world for the
convenience of the industrial revolution, factories, and interchangeable
parts.

Your dad sounds like an interesting guy that would be fun to talk with over
a cold one.

You bring up a very good point about the measuring system. Industrial
revolution and interchangeable parts. They have made the US one of the most
productive countries in the world. What many people fail to notice though,
is that other countries have been taking over much of that manufacturing and
we are being left out. They don't always want our products because they are
not interchangeable, just as you'd have a difficult time getting your Saab
repaired back in 1960.

It is not that one system is superior to the other, but it simplifies life
if we all work towards the same goals. If my company insisted on buying
only machines made with Imperial measure, we'd be out of business as no more
machines are made in the US for our industry. Using metric, other
countries have put rockets in space, built nuclear reactors, race cars, fine
watches and heavy machinery. The standard of the photo industry was the 35
mm camera, the 8mm and 16mm movie cameras.

Those here that vocalize the superiority of the Imperial system have been
using metrics all of their life, but are just afraid to admit it. I'd
venture to say that many have not visited other countries to see how they do
survive.

All of that said, I'm going to pour me a couple of ounces of adult sipping
beverage from the 750 ml bottle.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
Meanwhile, still knowing that a gallon of paint covers about 350 sq-ft...

So will 4 liters That is the same as what you get in two of those big
67.6 ounce soda bottles.

Wouldn't that be 3.8 l?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message

I know of no company that doesn't make metric products for the export
market if that is their target. It's a strawman argument. US automakers
have switched, for example.

Since you don't know of them they don't exist? I know of two companies that
have not had success in Europe because they don't want to change to metric.
One no longer tries, the other is going to make the change. It may be a
strawman argument today because the auto industry finally figured out it
would be wise to change. They are still fighting right hand drive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
Meanwhile, still knowing that a gallon of paint covers about 350
sq-ft...

So will 4 liters That is the same as what you get in two of those big
67.6 ounce soda bottles.

Wouldn't that be 3.8 l?

--

Could be, but you said "about" leaving room for either to do that 32.5
square meters.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

.... snip
IMHO metric is simply a different distance but no easier.

That's pretty much how I see it too. The 'metric' generation can't
make change at a cash register without a calculator, and that money
has been metric forever.

My daughters are all totally metric, as I once was. But still, when
they were talking about a 1 metre high hedge, I had to convert to
about 3 feet before I had a concept of the heigth of that hedge.
3 Feet is about 'that' high...one metre?? WTF?

On a business trip a couple of weeks ago, we finished our meeting early
and got to spend some time touring a local attraction. One of the younger
guys in the group pointed to one of the exhibits and asked, "how many
meters high to you think that is?" My answer was, "I don't know, but in
real people units, it looks to be about 120 feet or so" (turned out to be
117 feet) when we found the appropriate plaque.

As others have said, the imperial system is geared more toward human
dimensions. A foot is pretty close to an average person's foot length, a
yard one step of one's stride, and the human body can pretty well sense 1
degree F temperature changes (are thermostats controlled by 1/2 degree C
increments on digital thermostats?). One of the early criticisms levied by
the metric crowd was the ridiculous units used as bases of measure in
imperial (3 barleycorns to an inch). The metric system was no more
rational for its basis measure; the meter being based upon the division
such that 1000 km reached from equator to North Pole. It was later
discovered that the original computation was incorrect. The meter is now
defined as a certain number of Krypton wavelengths of light -- but that is
not a whole number, nor divisible by 10.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee wrote:

Thought I asked a simple question and it ended up with the "love it or
leave
it" crap(don't ask an American native about that ) and mail / credit
cards. big grin
Seems to be even anger being expressed.
Oh well At least I got everyone thinking

Well, it has been a couple of years since rec.ww has had a metric thread.
Used to be one of these every couple of months. As you can see, it can
generate a few comments. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
t...
Lee wrote:
I am getting a bit fed-up with the 15/32...13/64... and the rest of the
crap measurements we use here. Why shouldn't I go to what the rest of the
world uses? Metric. Please no political BS. Seems like using 10's is a
lot easier.No I'm not too old to change (62).G

Liquid measurements, as well.

I'd much rather deal with (milli)litres, rather than fractions of ounces,
when mixing finishes.

You deal with WHAT???? Barry - we've got to talk...

Go to the automotive paint supply store and get yourself a set of paint
sticks. They will be calibrated on both sides for different ratios of mix.
Two sticks should cover all you will ever need. Need a 4:1:1 mix? Forget
about ounces. Pour the components in to the measurements on the sticks.
Wipe 'em off with solvent and put them away for the next job. It should not
take you any longer to pour mixtures to the proper ratios than to simply
pour the component parts. You're doing way too much math.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message

I prefer metric for wrenches, sockets and drill bits... beats the hell out
of
figuring out the fractions..

If 12mm doesn't fit, go to 11 or 13 simple!

I question this oft quoted yet misapplied analogy. If you grab a 10mm
socket and it's too small what do you do? You try to figure out if it's one
size, two sizes or whatever, too small. You don't really care about 11 or
12 or 22 for that matter. Same with fractional measurements. If 1/2 does
not fit, then is it one or two or 5 sizes off? The number written on the
wrench is totally meaningless. In fact, you can intemix your metric and
your ASE sockets with equal results in attempting to find the right "bigger"
socket. It has nothing at all to do with the numbering scheme and the
numbering scheme has nothing at all to do with ease of use or anything else
except foolish attempts at bragging rights for a "superior" system.
Rubbish.

As for 15/32 and such, if the plywood people would/wood go back to 3/4"
and
such, it wouldn't be a problem..

Preach it brotha!

Related rant:
Why can't hardwood people use nominal sizes like the rest of the lumber
industry?

I just bout 3 one foot sections of 16/16 cocobolo... why not just a
friggin'
4x4"?

What? Blasphemy! Woodworkers the world over work hard to learn these
fractions to sound knowledgeable. And you want to reduce this secret
language to the level of the common layman? Balderdash!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee wrote:

I am getting a bit fed-up with the 15/32...13/64... and the rest of the crap
measurements we use here. Why shouldn't I go to what the rest of the world
uses? Metric. Please no political BS. Seems like using 10's is a lot
easier.No I'm not too old to change (62).G

Getting a Festool DOMINO forced me into metric. Thinking in metric took
a while - 25.4 mm/inch a became one of those numbers to add to my
instant recall list - which includes much harder to remember 7 and 10
digit phone numbers, PIN numbers, drivers license number, license plate
numbers etc. No big deal.

After a while I thought and calculated in metric when using the DOMINO.
And calculating mainly in integers is a LOT easier than with mixed
fractions.
The DOMINO cuts mortises for loose/floating tenon joinery. When
you're playing with mortise and tenons joinery, lets say for a table
apron
to leg joint, you want "outside faces" either flush or "set back" some
specific distance. Working out where the center of the mortise in the
leg should be, and where the center of the tenon, or the center of the
mortise, in the end of the apron should be - in order to get the outside
face flush, or set back a desired distance - can be "challenging if you
use "imperial". MUCH easier using metric. Here's a link to a page
that shows what I'm trying to describe.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/D...O_Reveals.html

If you do ply "case work", there are several metric systems - and tools
- to make producing parts quickly, accurately and efficiently. The
"32 mm System" has been around for quite a while - for a reason.

If you do solid wood furniture, and mill your own stock you don't need
imperial or metric. If you need something to be "this tall" - you mark
a stick for "this tall" and cut the needed parts "that long". If you
need something to fit "between here and there" you use slip sticks
to get "this wide" or "this long" and cut your parts "this wide" and
"this long". No numbers at all required. And it's easy to find the
centerline of a board. All that colonial furniture was done without
measuring tapes or rulers, divided into 32nds or 64ths.

I'm still using imperial, but the DOMINO is changing that.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 00:46:53 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Go to the automotive paint supply store and get yourself a set of paint
sticks. They will be calibrated on both sides for different ratios of mix.
Two sticks should cover all you will ever need. Need a 4:1:1 mix? Forget
about ounces. Pour the components in to the measurements on the sticks.
Wipe 'em off with solvent and put them away for the next job. It should not
take you any longer to pour mixtures to the proper ratios than to simply
pour the component parts. You're doing way too much math.

Thanks! I actually was planning a trip to check out 3M PPS cups.
I'll look for the cups, too.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
I know of no company that doesn't make metric products for the export
market if that is their target. It's a strawman argument. US automakers
have switched, for example.

Since you don't know of them they don't exist? I know of two companies that
have not had success in Europe because they don't want to change to metric.

That's a given. You do have to cater to the client. My point was, if
perhaps not well stated, that if you're going for a market for which it
is important, you will have made the change as part of that effort -- if
you try the other way, you're not very serious. Ergo, those that have
serious intents have made the change. I think in large part, that's
true, whether there happen to be a few holdouts or not. That's a
different subject imo than whether it should be universal for common usage.

One no longer tries, the other is going to make the change. It may be a
strawman argument today because the auto industry finally figured out it
would be wise to change. They are still fighting right hand drive.

While I'll agree that _eventually_ it might become common in the US, I
don't foresee the shift from driving on the right in NA ever changing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 07:11:29 -0400, B A R R Y
wrote:

Thanks! I actually was planning a trip to check out 3M PPS cups.
I'll look for the cups, too.

I meant STICKS! G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
Lee wrote:

SNIP

I'm still using imperial, but the DOMINO is changing that.

Yeah! the really hard part is what depth plunge setting to use. Will 15 mm
go all the way through? LOL

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Ask the companies that have not been able to sell their products and
machines overseas because the other countries want metric. It may not
affect you, but it certainly does affect some people. If you don't
want to participate in a world economy, you don't have to.

Hmm. Saw a report today that China is creeping up on $1 trillion in exports.
Much of that to the US and all in Imperial measure. Point is, if countries
want to export to the US, it better not be metric.

Reality check: Do Japanese autos imported to the US have speedometers in
KPH?

Metric tap set El Cazador Metalworking 4 August 9th 07 05:41 AM
Where to get a metric grease gun? [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 25th 05 01:35 AM
looking for new and used Metric endmills [email protected] Metalworking 0 November 2nd 05 12:01 AM
METRIC Rivets Fuhh Metalworking 2 October 23rd 05 08:29 AM
Inches or Metric? James Hart UK diy 54 July 25th 03 10:13 PM