Posted to rec.woodworking

Default your thoughts on metric

"Phil-In-Mich." wrote in message

As for my Father, may he rest in peace, the conversion from the current
system to metric was an insult to his membership in the dominate culture
of the USA and his experience in WWII. He was a total flag waving,
anthem singing blue-collar union man who hated the prissy-management-class
bosses.

IMHO, the story stick is where more woodworking should be, not in
arguments over tape measurement units. Remember, inches, feet, yards and
meters were imposed by the Bosses onto the workers of the world for the
convenience of the industrial revolution, factories, and interchangeable
parts.

Your dad sounds like an interesting guy that would be fun to talk with over
a cold one.

You bring up a very good point about the measuring system. Industrial
revolution and interchangeable parts. They have made the US one of the most
productive countries in the world. What many people fail to notice though,
is that other countries have been taking over much of that manufacturing and
we are being left out. They don't always want our products because they are
not interchangeable, just as you'd have a difficult time getting your Saab
repaired back in 1960.

It is not that one system is superior to the other, but it simplifies life
if we all work towards the same goals. If my company insisted on buying
only machines made with Imperial measure, we'd be out of business as no more
machines are made in the US for our industry. Using metric, other
countries have put rockets in space, built nuclear reactors, race cars, fine
watches and heavy machinery. The standard of the photo industry was the 35
mm camera, the 8mm and 16mm movie cameras.

Those here that vocalize the superiority of the Imperial system have been
using metrics all of their life, but are just afraid to admit it. I'd
venture to say that many have not visited other countries to see how they do
survive.

All of that said, I'm going to pour me a couple of ounces of adult sipping
beverage from the 750 ml bottle.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/