Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default your thoughts on metric

Fri, Oct 12, 2007, 11:02am (EDT-3)
(Lew*Hodgett) doth sayeth:
Debit cards, the biggest screw job foisted on the public by the credit
card industry yet.
The day in hell has not yet gotten cold enough for me to have a debit
card.

Not the way I see it. Granted I pay a small monthly charge for
using a debit card. But I can go to an ATM machine and check just how
much I've got in my account. If I don't have enough in my account to
buy something, I don't get it then. Pretty simple, and keeps me from
geting things I don't really need. I like my debit card.

Credit card now, another matter. With one of those, I can go into a
store flat broke, and run up a $2-3000 debt in minutes. And pay heavy
interest if I don't pay it all off when the bill comes in. I was
getting hurt on credit card interest. Got a quick bank loan, paid 'em
all off, and the bank took a fraction of the interest to do it for me.
I DO still have a credit card. For emergency use only. And I haven't
had an emergency big enough yet to even dream about using it. It'd
basically have to be a life and death emergency before I'll even
consider using a credit card again. I can go to my bank and get a $2500
signature loan, pay very low interest, and even have them make automatic
payments - so why even consider a HD or Lowes credit card if I wanted to
buy new tools, or whatever? Debit card, yes; credit card, no.

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."