Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default your thoughts on metric

"mac davis" wrote in message

I prefer metric for wrenches, sockets and drill bits... beats the hell out
of
figuring out the fractions..

If 12mm doesn't fit, go to 11 or 13 simple!

I question this oft quoted yet misapplied analogy. If you grab a 10mm
socket and it's too small what do you do? You try to figure out if it's one
size, two sizes or whatever, too small. You don't really care about 11 or
12 or 22 for that matter. Same with fractional measurements. If 1/2 does
not fit, then is it one or two or 5 sizes off? The number written on the
wrench is totally meaningless. In fact, you can intemix your metric and
your ASE sockets with equal results in attempting to find the right "bigger"
socket. It has nothing at all to do with the numbering scheme and the
numbering scheme has nothing at all to do with ease of use or anything else
except foolish attempts at bragging rights for a "superior" system.
Rubbish.

As for 15/32 and such, if the plywood people would/wood go back to 3/4"
and
such, it wouldn't be a problem..

Preach it brotha!

Related rant:
Why can't hardwood people use nominal sizes like the rest of the lumber
industry?

I just bout 3 one foot sections of 16/16 cocobolo... why not just a
friggin'
4x4"?

What? Blasphemy! Woodworkers the world over work hard to learn these
fractions to sound knowledgeable. And you want to reduce this secret
language to the level of the common layman? Balderdash!

--

-Mike-