Posted to rec.woodworking
Par Par is offline

Default your thoughts on metric

Andrew Barss :
A common thought about metric, and a fallacy as far as I'm concerned.
It's easier to divide and multiply by multiples of 10 in metric, but so what?
"Jeez, I think the overhang on that tabletop looks a bit scanty, so I
think I'll try ten times more"? "Heck, that shelf is too long. Better
try a tenth that length and see how it looks"?

"Hmm, two feet is a wee bit too long, I'll try two inches..."

If you think about it, imperial measurements (in 16ths and 12ths) have more
integral divisors (2, 3, 4, 6, 8) than metric ones do (2 and 5).

But with metric it is easy to "upgrade" your precision. If m is to
coarse, try cm, if that still too coarse try mm, or even micrometers if
you are truly finicky ("1 meter, no make that 102 cm, 1023 mm to be
precise"). How do you sanely add precision to 3 feet and 14/64 inch?

The power of metric is that you can easilly add 14 mm to 17.3 cm, and
then place that on top of 1.05 m. Worst case with imperial you end up
with 16ths, 12ths, inches feet and yards. All at once.

/Par

--
Par
It would be relevant at events if people were making a reasonable attempt
Posted to rec.woodworking
Par Par is offline

Morris Dovey :
Then I needed button head cap screws to attach the thin pieces to the
edges of the thick one. Hmm - M5 x .8 x 12 (3mm key) are $14.27/C and
#10-32 x 1/2 (1/8 key) are $7.76/C. At this point my enthusiasm for
metric was beginning to fade a bit.

Abnd your Swedish customer better not ever have to replace any of the
screws.

/Par

--
Par
Cooking without animal products is like doing sysadmin work without vi.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default what the hell did I start?

I'm in England and we use imperial and metric, I also have a house in
France where they have no comprehension of imperial lengths, weights
or volumes.

We co-exist with both; it's no big deal. My son is 20 years old and
has only been taught metric at school and Uni, but if you ask him how
tall and how much he weighs, he will tell you "6 3 and a half and 15
stone" (we don't use pounds to describe body weight).

Now the French being French, like to be different when it comes to
using metric. When I've been working on my place in France with a
French builder, he will use centimeters rather than millimeters. So a
measurement of 65 becomes 6.5 and when I ask, "is that meters" he says
"no it's centimeters". A 18mm thick sheet of ply becomes 1.8 thick and
9mm (3/8") plaster board is point 9.

This can become quite confusing when working together- fitting out a
kitchen or plaster boarding a room and on top of that I'm also
translating the language at the same time.

I'd rather use metric, imperial is illogical when measuring or
planning a structure. However, because of my age and education, I
still can't help thinking in feet and inches initially.

People will always disagree, that's just the way it is.

Cheers,

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

#10-32 x 1/2 (1/8 key) are $7.76/C. At this point my enthusiasm for
metric was beginning to fade a bit.

What you need is a new supplier. Check McMaster prices $7.16

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:59:40 +0100, wrote:

[...]

I can relate... We moved to Mexico a year ago and we're still not sure how much
gas is (I think it's about $2.25 a gallon) or which measurement to expect..

The AC and heaters are in Celsius, the cistern is in gallons, the house plans
were in feet, the windows are imperial and the screens are metric.. The stove is
in C. and the frig is in F degrees.. lol
It would be nice to have just one measurement, whichever they use..

Oh.. we're in the process of cementing the carport so my tools roll better and
the re-bar and wire were imperial and the cement mixers are in metric volume..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message

Let's keep things in perspective.

1 liter lead-free gas (Euro 95) costs about Euro 1,35 in Wageningen, the
Netherlands

1 Euro = US $1.418 as of 10/14/07
1 gallon (US, liquid) = 3.78 liter

So lead-free gas (Euro 95) costs:
3.78*1.418*1.35= US $7.24/gallon
Near here in New Jersey, a cheap station (Woroco) sells unleaded regular
for $2.45/gallon

Happy driving in Europe!

Yeah buttttt. Every thing in Europe is closer. A cross country drive in
the U.S. probably costs as much as a Cross country drive in Europe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Hmm. Saw a report today that China is creeping up on $1 trillion in
exports. Much of that to the US and all in Imperial measure. Point is, if
countries want to export to the US, it better not be metric.

Huh?

Reality check: Do Japanese autos imported to the US have speedometers in
KPH?

They absolutely do.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Leon wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

Reality check: Do Japanese autos imported to the US have speedometers in
KPH?

They absolutely do.

In mph as well (not exclusive of)...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 14, 7:55 pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 14, 7:06 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message

If metric ever comes to this country (US), we should dress up as Amerinds
and toss the whole lot into the harbor. :-)

Better get dressed. Metric has been here for decades and is becoming more
prominent all the time.

What metric really is, is a transfer from design lab to fabrication
floor.
If the boys designed it in mm, they expect the quotes and subsequent
samples to be all metric.
It is not some kind of secret language, as you know, but a preferred
method to some. Not all. Some.

It is the close-minded "it's the USA-thereore BEST" crowd that hinders
flexibility and advancements in adaptation to world markets. IOW...
arrogance. Like Doug Miller.

Uh, not quite. I seldom agree with Doug, but on this point, I wonder:
the U.S. is the world's largest customer, yet we're being told we HAVE
to accept a different measurement standard. When I want to sell an
article or a book, I'm the one facing the "have to" parts of the deal.
The customer may or may not be right, but he is the guy paying the
money.

Of course, we could all be like the hotshot CEO of Mattel who
apologized to the Chinese for not telling them that lead paint in
children's toys was a bad idea. In that case, we've become too large a
customer, so that the seller swings the cat by the tail and U.S.
buyers, on any scale, get to duck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 14, 10:31 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

I have to wonder where they will be in five, ten, fifteen years. Remember
when the local gas station would not work on imported cars because they did
not have the tools?
--

As a matter of fact, no, and I worked in the place in '53 and '54 and
some of '55. Mostly SAE, but also Whitworth (Brit motorcycles mainly),

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 15, 4:18 pm, (J T) wrote:
Sun, Oct 14, 2007, 2:39pm (EDT+4) (Han) doth sayeth:
snip Near here in New Jersey, a cheap station (Woroco) sells unleaded
regular for $2.45/gallon snip

The down side there would be living in New Jersey.

Hey, be nice. I lived in Joisey for eight years one time. Oops. Make
that eight weeks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you think about it, imperial measurements (in 16ths and 12ths) have more
integral divisors (2, 3, 4, 6, 8) than metric ones do (2 and 5).

this is the real strength of the old system, and why it's better for
design.

Plus, the imperial units correspond better to humanscale proportions (as
le Corbusier and othr designers discovered when they switched ou of metric).

indeed, many systems of measurement historically were based on human
measure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Peter Huebner wrote:

According to their Web site they're made in Taiwan. Might be really
good but selling them using infomercials has pretty well shot their
credibility.

Actually, one of the best ladders on the market, it has been cloned by all,
is the Wing Little Giant is sold on infomercials and so is the Fein
Multimaster. Infomercials are not always a sign of cheese.

I googled them and the consensus among users seems to be
that they actually work as advertised but have a lot of slop which
makes wrenching in tight quarters problematical.

Probably would not fly in an automotive shop where some brands of ratchets
don't have enough clicks to be functional in tight spaces.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

Actually, one of the best ladders on the market, it has been cloned by
all, is the Wing Little Giant is sold on infomercials and so is the Fein
Multimaster. Infomercials are not always a sign of cheese.

Ugh!!! I hate those things. They will indeed bend into every shape known
to man, but they are such a royal pain to move around and use. Try using
one of those in all but the most open and unencumbered spaces. They're
expensive too. I've used them and gone back to regular ladders of differing
size and style.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

Ugh!!! I hate those things. They will indeed bend into every shape known
to man, but they are such a royal pain to move around and use. Try using
one of those in all but the most open and unencumbered spaces. They're
expensive too. I've used them and gone back to regular ladders of
differing size and style.

Perhaps you have used one that looks similar. I have 2 of them and see that
the local dish installers use them. They are not a pain to use as are the
ones that are all one piece. These ladders can easily and quickly come
apart into 3 pieces. They are very easy to use in confined spaces.
And really, they DO NOT bend in more than 3 positions. Closed, A-frame and
straight open, no other position is possible.
Yes they are expensive but most any quality product is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

Ugh!!! I hate those things. They will indeed bend into every shape
known to man, but they are such a royal pain to move around and use. Try
using one of those in all but the most open and unencumbered spaces.
They're expensive too. I've used them and gone back to regular ladders
of differing size and style.

An additional note here, I think you are thinking about the ones that have 4
sections that are connected by 3 hinged joints. Those truly are a PIA.
The Little Giant is really great. It telescopes on both sides and only
pivots open at 1 hinged joint similar to a regular step ladder.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Lee" wrote:

I am getting a bit fed-up with the 15/32...13/64... and the rest of

the crap
measurements we use here. Why shouldn't I go to what the rest of the

world
uses? Metric. Please no political BS. Seems like using 10's is a lot
easier.No I'm not too old to change (62).G

Time is on the side of metric.

40 years ago when the metric change was proposed, the investment in
tooling, supplies, supporting infrastructure in the USA was
tremendous.

Today a lot of that investment has become obsolete or consumed.

Yeah - dream on, McDuff - any tool investment going on today still
has to be backwards compatible, so will continue to be English.... Seem
to recall published details more than a year ago that said "Metrication"
has been abandoned as not practical.

'Sides, if fractions bother so much, English dimensions can also be
indicated in decimals - have been for AGES..... Ever read a micrometer?

Lazy modern generation, anyway..... Leave 'em without a calculator
& they can't give correct change.

The change today would be easier, tomorrow easier yet.

Lew

Sorry - this is nothing more than an emotional issue - no science to
it at all.
NGA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Not Gimpy Anymore" wrote in news:cycRi.35258
:

*snip*

Lazy modern generation, anyway..... Leave 'em without a calculator
& they can't give correct change.

You know, I once had a person use a calculator to give me change... and
she gave me the wrong amount! This was at the bank too!

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

Perhaps you have used one that looks similar. I have 2 of them and see
that the local dish installers use them. They are not a pain to use as
are the ones that are all one piece. These ladders can easily and quickly
come apart into 3 pieces. They are very easy to use in confined spaces.
And really, they DO NOT bend in more than 3 positions. Closed, A-frame
and straight open, no other position is possible.
Yes they are expensive but most any quality product is.

The ones that I used were really a pain, for the task at hand. I was doing
installations of in-grid ceiling sound systems and in that environment,
you're working among too many tradesmen. Electricians are there, masons and
tile guys, carpenters, painters, and more, all working in the same small
areas with all of their stuff scattered all over the place. It's a bad
working environment, but it's the way it is. These ladders were very
awkward to use since they have such a large footprint and require so much
farting around to set up and to move. A regular step ladder is so much
faster to open up, close up, move around, etc. It's much easier to move a 8
footer around in these environments and open it up than it is to set up one
of these. Granted - that 8 footer is not as versatile, but I really hated
using the little giant. The other thing that quickly became annoying was
that with not a lot of use, the latches become difficult to work. Not real
difficult, but sticky - kinda.

I know this - I can walk in with a standard 8 footer while someone else
walks in with a Little Giant, and I can get my ladder on the floor, opened
up and be up in the grid while the other person is still flipping those
latches. For me, that is more important than the versatility that the
Little Giant offers. For others, the opposite is true.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

Ugh!!! I hate those things. They will indeed bend into every shape
known to man, but they are such a royal pain to move around and use.
Try using one of those in all but the most open and unencumbered spaces.
They're expensive too. I've used them and gone back to regular ladders
of differing size and style.

An additional note here, I think you are thinking about the ones that have
4 sections that are connected by 3 hinged joints. Those truly are a PIA.
The Little Giant is really great. It telescopes on both sides and only
pivots open at 1 hinged joint similar to a regular step ladder.

You're right about the different ladders - I have used both styles and of
the two I really hate the 3 hinge style the most. They are the most awkward
to use. There's no question that the single hinge style of the Little Giant
is far less awkward than the 3 hinge style, but I still prefer a straight up
step ladder to those.

Some of our experiences may be reflective of the equipment we've used. I
don't know how you use your ladders, and who else uses them, or how well
they are cared for. I take care of my equipment as I suspect you do yours,
but the equipment I have the (dis)pleasure of using from time to time is not
always so well cared for. It gets thrown into trucks, jammed in to make it
fit, buried under everything and yanked out from below it all, knocked
around, left out in the weather, etc. You know - the basic don't care sort
of thing. They don't work as well when exposed to this treatment. Subject
the more simple step ladder to this same abuse and there isn't as much to go
wrong. It just opens up and it's there. You have to deal with a regular
step requiring more storage space, and you have to deal with keeping more
ladders on hand, but I prefer that. If I need a 5 footer, that's what I
use. As I'm fond of saying, it's all a matter of perspective.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Spray a little Endust on the latch and or extension slides.

I know this - I can walk in with a standard 8 footer while someone else
walks in with a Little Giant, and I can get my ladder on the floor, opened
up and be up in the grid while the other person is still flipping those
latches. For me, that is more important than the versatility that the
Little Giant offers. For others, the opposite is true.

The single cheap step ladder is easier but if you need to get up high the
Little giant wins out.
Mine works well when painting a winding star well, or any stair well, ;~)
or getting up into a tree, one of mine will extend to 19'. Then I ended up
buying a 3' clone version for working inside a house when you need something
more than a step stool. If I had job specific applications I would do like
you and get job specific equipment. I tend to take what ever comes my way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

The single cheap step ladder is easier but if you need to get up high the
Little giant wins out.
Mine works well when painting a winding star well, or any stair well, ;~)
or getting up into a tree, one of mine will extend to 19'.

Huh? What are you - crazy Leon? 19 feet? In the air? That's almost 20
feet up man! I only get that high in a tree stand - not on any damned
ladder. Ain't supposed to be that way. Never was.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

The single cheap step ladder is easier but if you need to get up high the
Little giant wins out.
Mine works well when painting a winding star well, or any stair well,
;~) or getting up into a tree, one of mine will extend to 19'.

Huh? What are you - crazy Leon? 19 feet? In the air? That's almost 20
feet up man! I only get that high in a tree stand - not on any damned
ladder. Ain't supposed to be that way. Never was.

LOL.. A buddy and I were up on our ladders, we wrestled with his 20'
extension ladder and easily put mine up 6' away. We were in an entry way
that had no ceiling until you reached the second floor ceiling. Both floors
had 10' ceilings and we were hanging "BIG GAME" trophies. He grabbed one
end of the antler and I grabbed the other and we went up one step at a time
until the mounting hole met up with the lag bolt 16' up off the floor. We
hung Moose, Elk, and a few bigger ones that I could not recognize. Thank
goodness they were basically hollow as they 60 -80 pounds each. We balked
when the customer said that he also had an elephant head to hang.
That said, he, 18 years my senior had no problem shooting up his 40'
extension ladder while I stood at the bottom making sure the bottom did not
slide out from under him. Now that is one hard ladder to raise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
That's almost 20
feet up man! I only get that high in a tree stand - not on any damned
ladder. Ain't supposed to be that way. Never was.

I'll only do it in a an airplane.

I'm totally afraid of heights. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee" wrote:

I am getting a bit fed-up with the 15/32...13/64... and the rest of

the crap

measurements we use here. Why shouldn't I go to what the rest of the

world

uses? Metric. Please no political BS. Seems like using 10's is a lot
easier.No I'm not too old to change (62).G

Time is on the side of metric.

40 years ago when the metric change was proposed, the investment in
tooling, supplies, supporting infrastructure in the USA was
tremendous.

Today a lot of that investment has become obsolete or consumed.

Yeah - dream on, McDuff - any tool investment going on today still
has to be backwards compatible, so will continue to be English.... Seem
to recall published details more than a year ago that said "Metrication"
has been abandoned as not practical.

It's practical, just not feasible.
'Sides, if fractions bother so much, English dimensions can also be
indicated in decimals - have been for AGES..... Ever read a micrometer?

Lazy modern generation, anyway..... Leave 'em without a calculator
& they can't give correct change.

The change today would be easier, tomorrow easier yet.

Lew

Sorry - this is nothing more than an emotional issue - no science to
it at all.
NGA

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:

Ralph wrote in news:rppQi.10257$GO5.992@edtnps90:

dpb wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
Meanwhile, still knowing that a gallon of paint covers about 350
sq-ft...

So will 4 liters That is the same as what you get in two of those
big 67.6 ounce soda bottles.

Wouldn't that be 3.8 l?

--

Would that be an Imperial gallon or US gallon?

Let's keep things in perspective.

1 liter lead-free gas (Euro 95) costs about Euro 1,35 in Wageningen, the
Netherlands

1 Euro = US $1.418 as of 10/14/07
1 gallon (US, liquid) = 3.78 liter

So lead-free gas (Euro 95) costs:
3.78*1.418*1.35= US $7.24/gallon
Near here in New Jersey, a cheap station (Woroco) sells unleaded regular
for $2.45/gallon

You forgot to add the three quarter of a trillion dollars YOU and I
have spent on Iraq - so far. The 3,800 lives - well how do you put
a dollar value on them? Don't know about NJ gas prices but
I just pumped $3.119 per gallon for 87 octane here in CA and a
barrel of oil was at $89 today. Was hovering around $60 a barrel
BII (Before Invading Iraq). Far as I can tell, based on the profits
statements of the major oil companies, we're paying more than
just the pump price for our gasoline. Now I know that some of
the price increase is attributable to increased demand from
China and India - but . . .

charlie b

having an imperial and metric tape measure and a digital caliper
that can be switched between decimal inches, fractional inches
and mm does make transitioning / converting.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

charlieb wrote in
:

You forgot to add the three quarter of a trillion dollars YOU and I
have spent on Iraq - so far. The 3,800 lives - well how do you put

much snipped.

Churchill said something like democracy is the worst system on earth, but
there is nothing better.

Somebody else said that if ou repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the
"truth"
As an immigrant in 1969 I have fared rather well.
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:45:13 GMT, Han wrote:

charlieb wrote in
:

You forgot to add the three quarter of a trillion dollars YOU and I
have spent on Iraq - so far. The 3,800 lives - well how do you put

much snipped.

Churchill said something like democracy is the worst system on earth, but
there is nothing better.

Somebody else said that if ou repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the
"truth"

Han... A version of that one that I use often is: "Perception becomes reality if
you can get enough people to share the perception"

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

"willshak" wrote in message
on 10/11/2007 7:33 PM Lew Hodgett said the following:
"Lee" wrote:

I am getting a bit fed-up with the 15/32...13/64... and the rest of

the crap

measurements we use here. Why shouldn't I go to what the rest of the

world

uses? Metric. Please no political BS. Seems like using 10's is a lot
easier.No I'm not too old to change (62).G

Time is on the side of metric.

40 years ago when the metric change was proposed, the investment in
tooling, supplies, supporting infrastructure in the USA was
tremendous.

Yes, and those companies that made tools, now could sell twice as many
tools than if there was only one measurement.
"A set of SAE wrenches and a set of Metric wrenches, please."

Autos need metric (with a few exceptions) and everything else of any size
uses SAE, so they do sell both. My auto set in metric is growing.

Today a lot of that investment has become obsolete or consumed.

The change today would be easier, tomorrow easier yet.

Lew

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to rec.woodworking

It has always confused me that while many Americans were vehemently
opposed to metric, they still measure weapons in it. 9mm etc.

I'm numerically dyslexic, which makes numbers hard for me anyway. I
also have the disadvantage of going to school so that I finished here
in Australia in 1972. This meant I was taught in imperial but those in
the year behind me were taught in metric. So now I have both in my head
arguing with each other.

On the whole though, with my particular disability metric is easier.

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , v wrote:
It has always confused me that while many Americans were vehemently
opposed to metric, they still measure weapons in it. 9mm etc.

Acually, for the most part, we don't. Most rifle and pistol calibers in the
U.S. are measured in decimal inches, e.g. .22, .308, .243, .357, etc.

And we still use the old Imperial gauge sizes for shotguns. (The .410 being an
exception, but that's decimal inches again.)

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 29, 3:16 am, Mekon wrote:
It has always confused me that while many Americans were vehemently
opposed to metric, they still measure weapons in it. 9mm etc.

I'm numerically dyslexic, which makes numbers hard for me anyway. I
also have the disadvantage of going to school so that I finished here
in Australia in 1972. This meant I was taught in imperial but those in
the year behind me were taught in metric. So now I have both in my head
arguing with each other.

On the whole though, with my particular disability metric is easier.

Mekon

Miller won't admit to such trivial weapons as the 105 mm and 20 mm
canons, he just wants you to be wrong..

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mekon" wrote in message
. ..

It has always confused me that while many Americans were vehemently
opposed to metric, they still measure weapons in it. 9mm etc.

Some weaponry, but far from all, or even most. Think of all of the decimal
calibers out there. Everything from .22 to .308 to .45 to .50.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 29, 10:56 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , v wrote:
It has always confused me that while many Americans were vehemently
opposed to metric, they still measure weapons in it. 9mm etc.

Acually, for the most part, we don't. Most rifle and pistol calibers in the
U.S. are measured in decimal inches, e.g. .22, .308, .243, .357, etc.

And we still use the old Imperial gauge sizes for shotguns. (The .410 being an
exception, but that's decimal inches again.)

--
Regards,

Come on, Doug. You know damn well that the only pistol worth having
is a nine. And that you have to hold it sideways.

John Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote on 30/10/2007 :
"Mekon" wrote in message
. ..

It has always confused me that while many Americans were vehemently opposed
to metric, they still measure weapons in it. 9mm etc.

Some weaponry, but far from all, or even most. Think of all of the decimal
calibers out there. Everything from .22 to .308 to .45 to .50.

I am just surprised there are any at all given the resistance I have
seen here and elsewhere. It always reminds me of the debate between Mac
and PC or some sort of religious conflict.

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mekon" wrote in message
. ..
Mike Marlow wrote on 30/10/2007 :
"Mekon" wrote in message
. ..

It has always confused me that while many Americans were vehemently
opposed to metric, they still measure weapons in it. 9mm etc.

Some weaponry, but far from all, or even most. Think of all of the
decimal calibers out there. Everything from .22 to .308 to .45 to .50.

I am just surprised there are any at all given the resistance I have seen
here and elsewhere. It always reminds me of the debate between Mac and PC
or some sort of religious conflict.

Mekon

Naw - not as complicated as that - more like 50 vs. 60 Hz, & which side
of the road you drive on.... Just the practical aspects of having to
overcome
social inertia of two large worlds that grew up as part of different
families....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mekon wrote:

It has always confused me that while many Americans were vehemently
opposed to metric, they still measure weapons in it. 9mm etc.

I'm numerically dyslexic, which makes numbers hard for me anyway. I
also have the disadvantage of going to school so that I finished here
in Australia in 1972. This meant I was taught in imperial but those in
the year behind me were taught in metric. So now I have both in my head
arguing with each other.

On the whole though, with my particular disability metric is easier.

Mekon

I think most of those calibers were imported from Europe. Most small arms
are measured in decimal inches: 0.22-250, 0.22, .38, .357, .44, .45, .243,
etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , v wrote:
It has always confused me that while many Americans were vehemently
opposed to metric, they still measure weapons in it. 9mm etc.

Acually, for the most part, we don't. Most rifle and pistol calibers in the
U.S. are measured in decimal inches, e.g. .22, .308, .243, .357, etc.

And we still use the old Imperial gauge sizes for shotguns. (The .410 being an
exception, but that's decimal inches again.)

Come on, Doug. You know damn well that the only pistol worth having
is a nine. And that you have to hold it sideways.

g I *have* a nine. But I don't hold it sideways.

--
Regards,

Metric tap set El Cazador Metalworking 4 August 9th 07 05:41 AM
Where to get a metric grease gun? [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 25th 05 01:35 AM
looking for new and used Metric endmills [email protected] Metalworking 0 November 2nd 05 12:01 AM
METRIC Rivets Fuhh Metalworking 2 October 23rd 05 08:29 AM
Inches or Metric? James Hart UK diy 54 July 25th 03 10:13 PM