James Hart

Default Inches or Metric?

Owain wrote:
"Terry" wrote
Now in the UK, AFIK, you measure
distance in miles but also use litres. Confusing eh?

That's because petrol got so expensive per gallon the pumps didn't
have enough digits, so it was sold by litres, aprtly to save
replacing the pumps and partly because the gov'mint hoped that people
wouldn't realise how expensive the price per gallon was if it was in
litres.

One of the filling stations I use has a litre/gallon conversion chart
attached to the canopy uprights so you can easily work out the real cost of
the fuel. It starts at a pretty reasonable 30p/litre and goes all the way up
to a collossal 50p/litre, I used to wonder what could ever happen to cause
the price to reach that upper bound.

--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk/

IMM

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
Just wondering whether people still use inches or whether they've
converted to metric?

I'm still into measuring using the old imperial system - a piece of 4
by 2 sounds a whole lot better than 100 by 50

4 by 2 sounds better? Strange one. use metric, as it just is better.

---

Andrew McKay

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:49:40 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

4 by 2 sounds better? Strange one. use metric, as it just is better.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. It really depends
a lot on when you went to school I think.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
IMM

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:49:40 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

4 by 2 sounds better? Strange one. use metric, as it just is better.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. It really depends
a lot on when you went to school I think.

I was brought in imperial and as soon as I was old enough to use it we
started to go metric. Metric is far, far better. When doing calcs it is so
easy. Think metric, never convert back. The problem is the country were to
go metric but stopped half way through. We buy petrol in litres, yet the
cars are rated at mile per gallon. That is very silly. Very silly. We
should go all the way to metric ASAP and finish the job off properly.

---

Paul Mc Cann

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:12:53 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:49:40 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

4 by 2 sounds better? Strange one. use metric, as it just is better.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. It really depends
a lot on when you went to school I think.

I was brought in imperial and as soon as I was old enough to use it we
started to go metric. Metric is far, far better. When doing calcs it is so
easy. Think metric, never convert back. The problem is the country were to
go metric but stopped half way through. We buy petrol in litres, yet the
cars are rated at mile per gallon. That is very silly. Very silly. We
should go all the way to metric ASAP and finish the job off properly.

---

There is a lot of truth in this. For many years I have preferred
working in metric but it wasn't until I switched to metric only tapes
that it all gelled completely.

I still think in miles though.

Interestingly, on the change to the Euro, in Ireland they switched
over completely within a very short period of time. No mention at all
now about punts (The Irish word for pound rhymes with ' bank manager
'), or pennies (Terrible freudian slip narrowly avoided. I nearly
mis-spelled that last word).

In France items are still priced in both francs and euros and people
still think in francs.

Spain is similiar. Euros and pesetas still being shown in the shops
and I know from dealing with Spanish suppliers they still think in
pesetas and do the conversion to euros in their head

Paul Mc Cann

John Towill

"Paul Mc Cann" wrote in message
[...]

I prefer imperial, but for all that I wish that we would whole heartedly
switch to metric.
I'm looking to replace my fridge freezer, though it is several years old its
capacity was measured in litres. Now as I ago around browsing I find some
stores use litres and some cubic feet, what a headache.
Incidentally I am trying to find a fridge freezer with a larger freezer than
fridge, any suggestions?
Cheers
John T

Capitol

Welcome to the club. I've only found a couple with the fridge smaller than
the freezer and they were both uprights, with one door above the other.
Electrolux do a vertical 2 door, +1 drawer fridge freezer, but I personally
did not like the operation of the drawer. I've been looking for 3 years,
here, in Europe and the US, without success for a large side by side fridge
freezer as you described it. If anyone find it please post the details.
Regards
Capitol

John Towill wrote in message ...

[...]

parish

Capitol wrote:

I've been looking for 3 years,
here, in Europe and the US, without success for a large side by side fridge
freezer as you described it. If anyone find it please post the details.
Regards

Shedloads here

http://www.appliancesdepot.co.uk/dep...idgeration.asp

Capitol

John Towill wrote in message ...

"Paul Mc Cann" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

parish

Bob Mannix wrote:

"parish" parish_AT_ntlworld.com wrote in message
Capitol wrote:

I've been looking for 3 years,
here, in Europe and the US, without success for a large side by side

fridge
freezer as you described it. If anyone find it please post the details.
Regards

Shedloads here

http://www.appliancesdepot.co.uk/dep...idgeration.asp

Err, that would be none then (that I could see): "as you described it" was
with the freezer part bigger than the fridge part.

Ah, OK. I'd just looked at the pictures on the main pages and assumed
that the dispensers in the door would be in the fridge section; seems
they are actually in the freezer door.

Andrew McKay

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:35:50 +0100, "John Towill"
wrote:

I prefer imperial, but for all that I wish that we would whole heartedly
switch to metric.

To be perfectly honest I can work with either imperial or metric, and
often do.

But I can visualise 6in much easier than I can 150mm. When presented
with a dimension such as 145mm I invariably do a quick mental
conversion to inches, because that's meaningful to me.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

parish

Capitol wrote:

I've been looking for 3 years,
here, in Europe and the US, without success for a large side by side

fridge
freezer as you described it. If anyone find it please post the details.
Regards

Shedloads here

http://www.appliancesdepot.co.uk/dep...idgeration.asp

Err, that would be none then (that I could see): "as you described it" was
with the freezer part bigger than the fridge part.

Ah, OK. I'd just looked at the pictures on the main pages and assumed
that the dispensers in the door would be in the fridge section; seems
they are actually in the freezer door.

Reading the blurb more (I only knew about the site 'coz I stumbled on it
yesterday whilst Googling for something) reveals that they are ice, as
well as chilled drink, dispensers, which explains why they are in the
freezer door ;-)

Terry Simpson

I've been looking for 3 years, here, in Europe and the US, without
success for a large side by side fridge freezer as you described it.
If anyone find it please post the details.

I am updating my kitchen and would like to sell my large side by side fridge
freezer. It is an Amana SXD 520S and the dimensions are approx
1700x910x660mm. It says that the gross volume is 559 litres of which the
freezer is 198 litres. It has an icemaker in the freezer door.

Reply by email and I can send pictures.

Regards
Terry

Andrew McKay

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:40:43 +0000, parish parish_AT_ntlworld.com
wrote:

Seems like the inch/metric thing is a universal hot potato.

I do ask some interesting questions don't I?

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
Owain

"parish" wrote
| According to Google Groups it runs to 227 articles (obviously a few more
| than that now).

Google however threads by subject. It's quite possible for completely
unrelated posts from years back to be brought into current threads because
they have the same subject line.

parish

Owain wrote:
"parish" wrote
| According to Google Groups it runs to 227 articles (obviously a few more
| than that now).

Google however threads by subject. It's quite possible for completely
unrelated posts from years back to be brought into current threads because
they have the same subject line.

True, but in this instance that isn't the case

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...N%26filter%3D0

Thomas Prufer

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:50:33 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Gnube
writes
Is this the longest thread this group has ever had now?

Not been here very long then?

"Should electromagnetic descalers be metricated?"

Thomas Prufer
Andy Hall

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 08:02:18 +0200, Thomas Prufer
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:50:33 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Gnube
writes
Is this the longest thread this group has ever had now?

Not been here very long then?

"Should electromagnetic descalers be metricated?"

Thomas Prufer

No. Decimated.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
James Kemp

Richard Caley MY_FIRST_NAME @ MY_LAST_NAME.org.uk wrote in message ...
In article , huge (h) writes:

h Who said anything about "UK".

Imperial measurements are UK measurements. The clue is in the name.

h Oh, and it's not a "well known fact". America works on miles, feet
h and inches and (their own) gallons.

But not the imperial system. They, for the usual bizzare US reasons,
call it the `English' system, but it is used only in the US. I think
because they were choosing between the then current English and French
(metric) systems at one point.

Interestingly, the English government voted on whether or not to drop
Imperial units and adopt the metric system. This was in the late 18th
century (I think). We decided to keep imperil units for a while
because the states were not able to make the change.

Okay .. pop quiz time ...
Only 5 countries (other than Britain) do not use the metric system.
America is one, anybody name the other 4.

James

Huge

wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:50:33 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Gnube
writes
Is this the longest thread this group has ever had now?

Not been here very long then?

"Should electromagnetic descalers be metricated?"

Thomas Prufer

No. Decimated.

Only 1 in 10? What about the other 9?

Andy Hall

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:38:04 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Should electromagnetic descalers be metricated?"

Thomas Prufer

No. Decimated.

Only 1 in 10? What about the other 9?

Anecdotally it seems to line up with the reported success rate :-)

What figures do you have to substantiate this article of faith.

First of all I said it was anecdotal - this means that I am not
suggesting anything scientifically derived.

Secondly the context is this NG, since I didn't introduce any other
source of information, so that is obviously the information source.

Thirdly, if you look through the many threads on this subject and add
up the people who claim any form of success, I estimate a factor of
10:1 of people who say the opposite.

But you have terrible memory.

Actually not, but all the threads are there to be read again anyway.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:38:04 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Should electromagnetic descalers be metricated?"

Thomas Prufer

No. Decimated.

Only 1 in 10? What about the other 9?

Anecdotally it seems to line up with the reported success rate :-)

What figures do you have to substantiate this article of faith.

First of all I said it was anecdotal - this means that I am not
suggesting anything scientifically derived.

Secondly the context is this NG, since I didn't introduce any other
source of information, so that is obviously the information source.

Thirdly, if you look through the many threads on this subject and add
up the people who claim any form of success, I estimate a factor of
10:1 of people who say the opposite.

But you have terrible memory.

Actually not, but all the threads are there to be read again anyway.

Best you read them.

---

Alan Holmes

"Chris Hodges" wrote in message
Stephen wrote:
In message
parish parish_AT_ntlworld.com wrote:

Stephen wrote:

I'll have a pint of err, 550 ML of bitter please, doesn't sound right.

But a litre sounds just fine. Think how much more drinking time you'd
have due to less trips to the bar if beer went metric (spirit measures
already are)?

Of course but being a slow drinker the beer would be flat by the time
I'd finished it

In my local there is yard of ale glass hanging on the wall and the
landlord has put a sign under it which reads:

"Due to EU regulations, the 'yard of ale' is now the '0.9144 metre of
ale'. Price: £2/foot"

You mean £2 per 30.5cm, LOL

Just came back from a local walk and while we were out popped into a pub
(as you do) and asked for two glasses of coke and a pint of mild,
"Don't do mild said pub Landlord", Err OK I'll have a bottle of brown
instead which hardly filled the small glass he gave me,
"That will be three pounds 95 pence please Sir said Landlord",

Blimey nearly four quid for two cokes and a small bottle of brown,
I don't know what liquid volume the glasses are but shudder to think
what that simple order would cost by the litre

It's probably the coke. The pub I'm going to later on charges £2.22
(usually) for a pint of lemonade, £1.80 and up for beer. The lemonade
costs them under 10p/pint.

The pub I use sells lemonade at £1 per pint!

Alan

Alan Holmes

"Richard Caley" MY_FIRST_NAME @ MY_LAST_NAME.org.uk wrote in message
In article , Andrew McKay (am)

writes:

am Decimal is good in terms of being able to add and subtract in your
am head (for most people anyway).

Ah, but, that is not inherent in 10 or in people. It is just the base
you have been taught to use from when you were small.

The only excuses for picking 10 are tradition and that we have 10
digits on our hands. The latter only sounds important until you
try and think how often you count on your fingers.

Actually, base 6 is better for counting on your fingers (left hand
units, right hand sixes).

Of course the tradition argument is pretty bullet proof, it would be
painful to change all the numbers written anywhere to another base, to
say the least, we can only sulk and think how much better life would
have been if some indian inventing our modern positional notation had
stopped and thought for a moment and picked base 12.

Anyway, the point is that the bases used in traditional measures are
not (all) arbitrary. Most of them were chosen (actually emerged from
the darwinian selection of centuries of use) to suit the tasks the
units were used for. Just like binary or hex for computers actually.

Mind you, 14 pounds in a stone is completely weird, but that's why we
don't use stones for anything we need to do arithmetic on.

I used to do my arithmetic on a slate using chalk!

Alan

Alan Holmes

"Owain" wrote in message
"Andrew McKay" wrote
| Just wondering whether people still use inches or whether they've
| converted to metric?
| I'm still into measuring using the old imperial system - a piece of 4
| by 2 sounds a whole lot better than 100 by 50

I see little problem with mixing measurements where useful. Millimetres

are
better for anything less than an inch. Milk is in pints, but beer is in
half-litres.

Not where I drink, beer in britain is sold by the pint.

Alan

Alan Holmes

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 00:21:27 +0000, parish parish_AT_ntlworld.com
wrote:

It was actually by design; the Imperial gallon was specifically defined
as the volume of 10lbs of water. Prior to that, there were several
different "gallons".

In fact US and imperial gallons are still different, are they not?

Well the americans always get things wrong.

Alan

Owain

"Alan Holmes" wrote
| "Owain" wrote
| I see little problem with mixing measurements where useful. Millimetres
| are better for anything less than an inch. Milk is in pints, but beer
| is in half-litres.
| Not where I drink, beer in britain is sold by the pint.

Draught beer in pubs. I don't pay pub prices :-) Half-litre bottles/cans in
Tesco.

And I use a half-litre beer mug as a tea mug. Visitors who accept the offer
of a 'large' tea get a litre mug (two teabags, and don't drop the spoon).

Owain

Richard Savage

IMM wrote:

I was brought in imperial and as soon as I was old enough to use it we
started to go metric. Metric is far, far better. When doing calcs it is so
easy.

I would disagree with what you say about the decimal system being easier than
duodecimal for calculations. Think of how many numbers divide evenly into 12
and compare that with number for 10.

Unfortunately, I went through priamry school at a time when not only was the
metric system just in place but mental arithmetic and, in particular, wrote
learning of tables were completely out of favour. Thus, my maths is not up to
properly argueing the benefits of duodecimal systems over decimal systems.

IIRC (probably not!) the Summarians (sp?) had a duodecimal numbering system and
the method of time divison may be attributed to them. (Someone will no doubt
correct me on that one!)

Richard

parish

Owain wrote:
And I use a half-litre beer mug as a tea mug. Visitors who accept the offer
of a 'large' tea get a litre mug (two teabags, and don't drop the spoon).

Ah, next time the Betterware or Klenezee (can't remember which) drops
through the door, order a set of their extra long teaspoons (£4.99 for 4
IIRC).

Great for getting to the bottom of the Branston jar but probably ideal
for your tea "cups" as well.

Owain

Steve

Peter Twydell wrote:

That's all very well, but if you need to divide, say, 4 ft 6 3/8 inches
by 7, what a pain. 4 foot *12 is 48 inches, plus 6 is 54, so divided by
7 is 7, with remainder 5, which *8 is 40 eighths, plus 3 is 43, divided
by 7 is 6, i.e 6/8ths, which is 3/4, so the answer is 7 3/4 inches with
an odd eighth left over. The same distance is 1381 mm, which divided by
7 is 197 with 2mm to lose in inaccurate marking, etc.

Boy you like making hard work out of it.
54.375 /7 = 7 3/4 within about 17 thou. Is 1381/7 easier than 54.375/7 ?

Steve

Peter Twydell

In article , Steve
writes
Peter Twydell wrote:

That's all very well, but if you need to divide, say, 4 ft 6 3/8 inches
by 7, what a pain. 4 foot *12 is 48 inches, plus 6 is 54, so divided by
7 is 7, with remainder 5, which *8 is 40 eighths, plus 3 is 43, divided
by 7 is 6, i.e 6/8ths, which is 3/4, so the answer is 7 3/4 inches with
an odd eighth left over. The same distance is 1381 mm, which divided by
7 is 197 with 2mm to lose in inaccurate marking, etc.

Boy you like making hard work out of it.
54.375 /7 = 7 3/4 within about 17 thou. Is 1381/7 easier than 54.375/7 ?

No, but you still have to convert to the 54.375 to start with.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
IMM

"Peter Twydell" wrote in message

Learning by rote works. That's the way I learnt tables back in the
fifties,

We learnt them by singing them. Even now I sing the tables to myself to get
say the nine X table, which I always thought was the hardest. Calculators
mean we need to know them not so much.

After years of working at home with the metric system, I'm having to re-
learn the size of things in feet and inches because we're looking for a
new house and all the estate agents quote dimensions that way. Some do
include metric, but not many.

The law has stepped in prosecuting fruit sellers in Sunderland selling only
by the lb. They should sep in and prosecute anyone not using metric. Do
both by all means, but metric should be there and the fits figires in larger
type. The same with car mpg's

---

Nick Finnigan

When you go to B and Q W to buy some plywood cut to length,
what is the best way to give the measurement: 79 15/16 inches or
2.005m or 200.5cm or 2005mm or 2m 5mm or 2m 0.5cm... ?