Paul Mc Cann

Default Inches or Metric?

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:12:53 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:49:40 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

4 by 2 sounds better? Strange one. use metric, as it just is better.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. It really depends
a lot on when you went to school I think.

I was brought in imperial and as soon as I was old enough to use it we
started to go metric. Metric is far, far better. When doing calcs it is so
easy. Think metric, never convert back. The problem is the country were to
go metric but stopped half way through. We buy petrol in litres, yet the
cars are rated at mile per gallon. That is very silly. Very silly. We
should go all the way to metric ASAP and finish the job off properly.

---

There is a lot of truth in this. For many years I have preferred
working in metric but it wasn't until I switched to metric only tapes
that it all gelled completely.

I still think in miles though.

Interestingly, on the change to the Euro, in Ireland they switched
over completely within a very short period of time. No mention at all
now about punts (The Irish word for pound rhymes with ' bank manager
'), or pennies (Terrible freudian slip narrowly avoided. I nearly
mis-spelled that last word).

In France items are still priced in both francs and euros and people
still think in francs.

Spain is similiar. Euros and pesetas still being shown in the shops
and I know from dealing with Spanish suppliers they still think in
pesetas and do the conversion to euros in their head

Paul Mc Cann