James Hart

Default Inches or Metric?

Owain wrote:
"Terry" wrote
Now in the UK, AFIK, you measure
distance in miles but also use litres. Confusing eh?

That's because petrol got so expensive per gallon the pumps didn't
have enough digits, so it was sold by litres, aprtly to save
replacing the pumps and partly because the gov'mint hoped that people
wouldn't realise how expensive the price per gallon was if it was in
litres.

One of the filling stations I use has a litre/gallon conversion chart
attached to the canopy uprights so you can easily work out the real cost of
the fuel. It starts at a pretty reasonable 30p/litre and goes all the way up
to a collossal 50p/litre, I used to wonder what could ever happen to cause
the price to reach that upper bound.

--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk/