Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vegan children have stunted growth

I've not read the article but I've been vegan for about 18 years.
A well-planned and thought out vegan diet is required. Then in my opinion it's incredibly healthy.
There are issues with possible zinc deficiency and B12 but I can counter these by saying that soil has become depleted of minerals by generations of intensive farming. It's thought that over a billion people are zinc deficient. Safe to say, they're not all vegan, though many will be vegetarians if they live in India.
B12 is actually misunderstood. People think it only comes from meat. It actually is a bacterium that lives on leaves, which the animals eat.
I do supplement with B12 and zinc picolinate but if we were living thousands of years ago, growing our own food, etc. I doubt I'd need to.
To the person who called veganism a "crackpot religion", it's neither of those things.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 19:18, Ed wrote:
I've not read the article but I've been vegan for about 18 years.
A well-planned and thought out vegan diet is required. Then in my opinion it's incredibly healthy.
There are issues with possible zinc deficiency and B12 but I can counter these by saying that soil has become depleted of minerals by generations of intensive farming. It's thought that over a billion people are zinc deficient. Safe to say, they're not all vegan, though many will be vegetarians if they live in India.
B12 is actually misunderstood. People think it only comes from meat. It actually is a bacterium that lives on leaves, which the animals eat.
I do supplement with B12 and zinc picolinate but if we were living thousands of years ago, growing our own food, etc. I doubt I'd need to.
To the person who called veganism a "crackpot religion", it's neither of those things.

You sound reasonable.
Perhaps you could persuade the resident zealot to tone it down a bit.
Just post with OT:Ping T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You sound reasonable.
Perhaps you could persuade the resident zealot to tone it down a bit.
Just post with OT:Ping T i m

To be honest I only went to this newsgroup to ask about my kitchen sink.
I've not read the entire thread but they usually go a similar way of militant replies from both sides. I don't preach to anyone about what they should eat. Veganism has been politicised but I just want people to get the whole story that not eating meat is completely fine.
It always amazes me how het up people get about diet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 09/06/2021 20:00, Richard wrote:

Perhaps you could persuade the resident zealot to tone it down a bit.

ROFLMAO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqCT...nel=Movieclips

might be possible

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 19:18, Ed wrote:
I've not read the article but I've been vegan for about 18 years.

There are a number of articles that associate a child's vegan diet with
poor brain development and reduced IQ. The same is not true for
vegetarians or omnivores who consume some fish, meat and/or meat products.

A well-planned and thought out vegan diet is required. Then in my
opinion it's incredibly healthy.

Without evidence it's difficult to make generalisations. Certainly
vegetarians live longer, and the cause and effect are out for debate. Do
more intelligent people live longer anyway.

There are issues with possible zinc
deficiency and B12 but I can counter these by saying that soil has
become depleted of minerals by generations of intensive farming.

And so animal feed is sometimes supplemented with the various trace
elements. Much soil used for pasture is near fallow, and less likely to
be overgrazed.

It's
thought that over a billion people are zinc deficient. Safe to say,
they're not all vegan, though many will be vegetarians if they live
in India.

And the age expectancy in India isn't the same as the western world.

B12 is actually misunderstood. People think it only comes
from meat. It actually is a bacterium that lives on leaves, which the
animals eat.

And that bacterium, together with cobalt minerals is processed into B12.
Normally in ruminants' stomachs, hence why milk and other meat products
are also important sources of these vitamins.

I do supplement with B12 and zinc picolinate but if we
were living thousands of years ago, growing our own food, etc. I
doubt I'd need to.

There are known vitamins, and some unknown, unknown vitamins vital for
health and development. There is so little we understand of the human
body. Personally I prefer my family have a natural balanced diet which
we have evolved to consume. There are articles that show longevity is
associated with diets our ancestors lived on.

To the person who called veganism a "crackpot
religion", it's neither of those things.

I have great respect for the average vegan, one that doesn't abuse those
around them when he finds out that we eat meat, and don't have any major
issues in doing so. I put you in this category, if I might call it one.

The boundary is crossed if I call you names, or if you call me names,
something a fellow poster seems keen to do to anyone who consumes meat,
or is a vegetarian consuming animal products, and can stand up and
justify their position. I would correctly describe him as a fanatic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The boundary is crossed if I call you names, or if you call me names,
something a fellow poster seems keen to do to anyone who consumes meat,
or is a vegetarian consuming animal products, and can stand up and
justify their position. I would correctly describe him as a fanatic.

I don't think there's a perfect diet that works for everyone. We have to find what works for us. I *became* a vegan rather than being born into it so I've been able to tune my diet accordingly.
I predict within 30 years people in the western world will have practically stopped eating meat because of the push for sustainability and alternatives developed that are so similar that nobody will need to eat meat.
It'll be become like smoking. It's quite rare to see people smoking cigarettes these days, at least in the city I'm in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 11:18:07 -0700 (PDT), Ed
wrote:

I've not read the article

Nor did I. Most are BS and posted by zealots. ;-)

but I've been vegan for about 18 years.

Good on you. ;-)

A well-planned and thought out vegan diet is required.

Any diet (and by 'diet' we mean what you eat every day to survive of
course) should be well planned. The funny thing is few seem bothered
what anyone eats until you mention you are a 'vegan' diet then all of
a sudden they become 1) interested in your diet and 2) become
nutrition experts themselves! Up to that point, they assume everyone
must be eating a 'Balanced diet' and we know that's rarely the case.

Then in my opinion it's incredibly healthy.

It is indeed. Lower LDL cholesterol, less chance of bowel cancer,
heart attacks or diabetes. It's also better as a consequence to us all
not having to live in so much pollution, lower risk of zoonotic
pandemics and antibiotic resistance.

There are issues with possible zinc deficiency and B12 but I can counter these by saying that soil has become depleted of minerals by generations of intensive farming.

Quite. And why they supplement the feed we grow (in places like the
Amazon) and feed the animals, along with providing it via implants in
their digestive systems.

It's thought that over a billion people are zinc deficient. Safe to say, they're not all vegan, though many will be vegetarians if they live in India.

It is suggested that 40% of the general population are B12 deficient
and as you say, the majority of those will (statistically) be meat
eaters.

B12 is actually misunderstood. People think it only comes from meat. It actually is a bacterium that lives on leaves, which the animals eat.

That and the water they / we used to drink that contained the same
bacteria. Now it's all chlorinated etc.

I do supplement with B12 and zinc picolinate

As do we, both directly and via the many foods that rare already
supplemented ... and that seems more sensible than generating the B12
and feeding it to animals (70% of the B12 created is fed to livestock)
in the hope that 1) we eat the meat (and many don't for many reasons)
and that we actually absorb it. It is known that we absorb the B12
more efficiently in the crystalline form (as found in supplements)
than trying to extract it from the meat protein.

but if we were living thousands of years ago, growing our own food, etc. I doubt I'd need to.

Quite, but we aren't and there are way more of us vieing for the same
resources (land, food, water) than there were 1000 years ago. ;-(

To the person who called veganism a "crackpot religion", it's neither of those things.

Of course it isn't, as humanity moving to a plant based diet is being
recommended by many experts as what we are doing now isn't sustainable
and because of cold hard facts, not any 'beliefs'.

In fact, the 'belief' seems to only come from those who 'believe' it's
'normal' for us to still be causing innocent sentient creatures
unnecessary pain, suffering, exploitation and death in 2021 when for
the vast majority there are so many alternatives available (and often
were of course). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 21:30, Ed wrote:
The boundary is crossed if I call you names, or if you call me names,
something a fellow poster seems keen to do to anyone who consumes meat,
or is a vegetarian consuming animal products, and can stand up and
justify their position. I would correctly describe him as a fanatic.

I don't think there's a perfect diet that works for everyone. We have to find what works for us. I *became* a vegan rather than being born into it so I've been able to tune my diet accordingly.
I predict within 30 years people in the western world will have practically stopped eating meat because of the push for sustainability and alternatives developed that are so similar that nobody will need to eat meat.
It'll be become like smoking. It's quite rare to see people smoking cigarettes these days, at least in the city I'm in.

Smoking was eventually proven to be harmful. It was known by the tobacco
companies to be harmful while the public was told smoking was healthy.

I'd wager as time passes on the same will be said for veganism.

Currently there are many proponents saying eating a plant based diet is
healthy, and the possible impact on the environment.

However, even now there are a number of studies which show that children
are harmed by following a vegan diet and some authorities are waking up
to this.

I predict less meat consumption but until we have a greater
understanding of out diet and how it effects growth in children I can't
see it changing to the extent you imagine in 30 years time. Even then I
don't expect a tray of chicken thighs to have a warning "eating meat kills".

Anyway, this is a DIY group and best to stick to that. I believe there
are some vegan groups that might cater to your desires.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 09/06/2021 11:26, Spike wrote:
On 09/06/2021 09:57, T i m wrote:
Spike wrote:

On 08/06/2021 13:59, T i m wrote:
Spike wrote:

On 07/06/2021 19:15, T i m wrote:

Just did a nice pasta meal
(her fave), had a vegan Magnum chock ice for pudding and I'm about
start my second beer.

Pasta meals usually involve lots of (cheap) tomatoes - a known
trigger
for arthritic pain.

The Aldi pasta sauce contains tomatoes but I didn't add any extra in
this instance.

So, you constantly harass me because you are concerned about my wife's
*choice* to eat such things (because she likes to, even with her
arthritis)

I never mentioned your wife.

Liar. As soon as I mentioned my wife had arthritis previously you
mention the link to tomatoes (or some other troll, they all smell the
same to me).

T i m : "As soon as I mentioned my wife..."

Spike: "I never mentioned your wife"

T i m : "Liar"

Hmmm. I think we can see who is telling porkies here...

But now you have dragged her into the discussion, I take it you
lecture
her constantly about her cognitive dissonance concerning tomatoes and
joint pain. No?

Nope,

That's a pity, as you put yourself forward as an expert on the subject
of CD, but obviously daren't mention the topic at home. Are you
hen-pecked? Perhaps you ought to stamp on that.

T i m is ****ed that his wife won't let him eat meat. He misses those
kebabs he used to munch on but won't dare to say this.

Thats not my understanding of how they operate.

You sure you arent projecting ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 21:48, T i m wrote:

snip

It is suggested that 40% of the general population are B12 deficient
and as you say, the majority of those will (statistically) be meat
eaters.

Since there are 30 times more non-vegans than vegans that is a given.

But even with your own statistics you posted a while ago, you showed you
were vastly more likely to be deficient in B12 if you were following a
strict vegan diet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 07:44:19 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 20:22, Ed wrote:
You sound reasonable. Perhaps you could persuade the resident
zealot to tone it down a bit. Just post with OT:Ping T i m

To be honest I only went to this newsgroup to ask about my kitchen
sink.

And you are very welcome - nice to have a bit of DIY round here from
time to time :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 07:44:19 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snip

That’s not my understanding of how they operate.

And you would be right.

You sure you arent projecting ?

Of course he is, so he's desperately trolling to try to get me to
engage with him when I won't (no matter what lies he tells or BS he
makes up).

Daughter said she was going to go from a vegetarian to vegan (after
considering how dairy / eggs also exploited animals) in Veganurary
2020 and we said we would try it with her, partly to support her
efforts / good intentions and partly because we thought it would be 'a
good thing'.

We hadn't been buying / drinking cows milk, cheese or yogurt for 5
years previously (but would sometimes have cows milk when out if
offered tea / coffee and they didn't have any alternatives).

We had also been cutting back on our red meat over a similar period
and weren't big meat eaters before that. I'd also not eaten much
outside the few main species we typically eat in the UK (cow, sheep,
pig, chicken ...) and the Mrs has had rabbit a handful of times via
her Ex's Mum but would never choose it if it was available as an
option.

Once we had started only eating non-animal based foods and as we
learned more about the sort of things that go on 'behind the scenes'
in the livestock industry we became even more determined to never go
back there again.

So se don't ... and given I do all the shopping and cooking and so
could easily buy / cook meat if I wanted, I don't because *I* don't
want to. The Mrs feels the same and is not only very happy with the
food I prepare for her, is actually amazed how I can so quickly and
easily come up with so many different things that are both tasty and
reasonably nutritionally balanced. That's not to say we still don't
eat junk / chocolate / crisps now and again (I have 10 bars of dark
chocolate in the fridge as we speak), we are just eating better more
often.

The Mrs is looking forward to the lockdown easing properly because she
really needs to get some new jeans as she's lost quite a bit of
weight. I also no longer have to squeeze into fresh jeans and had to
make some extra holes in my belt.

Tonight we walked to the local park to water some memorial trees for a
friend, then we walked to my Mums to water her plants for her before
walking home. When we got in I did more pretend chicken salad wraps
and the Mrs was saying how impressed she is with the consistency /
spread of the contents throughout the wrap, especially compared with
the chicken donor / salad wraps we used to get from the kebab shop.
;-)

I just need to get some vegan garlic sauce as we used to like a drop
of that in our kebabs / wraps.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 09:57, T i m wrote:
Â* Spike wrote:

On 08/06/2021 13:59, T i m wrote:
Spike Â* wrote:

On 07/06/2021 19:15, T i m wrote:

Just did a nice pasta meal
(her fave), had a vegan Magnum chock ice for pudding and I'm
about to
start my second beer.

Pasta meals usually involve lots of (cheap) tomatoes - a known
trigger
for arthritic pain.

The Aldi pasta sauce contains tomatoes but I didn't add any extra in
this instance.

So, you constantly harass me because you are concerned about my
wife's
*choice* to eat such things (because she likes to, even with her
arthritis)

I never mentioned your wife.

Liar. As soon as I mentioned my wife had arthritis previously you
mention the link to tomatoes (or some other troll, they all smell the
same to me).

T i m : "As soon as I mentioned my wife..."

Spike:Â* "I never mentioned your wife"

T i m : "Liar"

Hmmm. I think we can see who is telling porkies here...

ButÂ* now you have dragged her into the discussion, I take it you
lecture
her constantly about her cognitive dissonance concerning tomatoes and
joint pain. No?

Nope,

That's a pity, as you put yourself forward as an expert on the subject
of CD, but obviously daren't mention the topic at home. Are you
hen-pecked? Perhaps you ought to stamp on that.

T i m is ****ed that his wife won't let him eat meat. He misses those
kebabs he used to munch on but won't dare to say this.

Thats not my understanding of how they operate.

Not sure who's operating.

A while ago I asked what would his wife say if he wanted to eat meat. In
a roundabout way it wasn't something she would entertain.

You sure you arent projecting ?

I have no need on a dietary basis. Family generally eat what I cook and
likewise the other way round. There are no hard and fast rules, just
likes and dislikes, without needing to pander to a fanaticism.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2021 00:16, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 07:44:19 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snip

Thats not my understanding of how they operate.

And you would be right.

You sure you arent projecting ?

Of course he is, so he's desperately trolling to try to get me to
engage with him when I won't (no matter what lies he tells or BS he
makes up).

I'm not the one creating threads like this, and I only respond to
correct your lies. If you call correcting lies, tolling, then so be it.

Daughter said she was going to go from a vegetarian to vegan (after
considering how dairy / eggs also exploited animals) in Veganurary
2020 and we said we would try it with her, partly to support her
efforts / good intentions and partly because we thought it would be 'a
good thing'.

We hadn't been buying / drinking cows milk, cheese or yogurt for 5
years previously (but would sometimes have cows milk when out if
offered tea / coffee and they didn't have any alternatives).

Wasn't that from a medical issue? One member of the family was given
goats milk, but they can now consume normal cows milk.

We had also been cutting back on our red meat over a similar period
and weren't big meat eaters before that. I'd also not eaten much
outside the few main species we typically eat in the UK (cow, sheep,
pig, chicken ...) and the Mrs has had rabbit a handful of times via
her Ex's Mum but would never choose it if it was available as an
option.

Once we had started only eating non-animal based foods and as we
learned more about the sort of things that go on 'behind the scenes'
in the livestock industry we became even more determined to never go
back there again.

So why not improve those behind the scenes issues? Why are you so dead
against improvements in animal welfare?

[...]

That all sounds very nice. Why can't all your posts be like this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed wrote

I've not read the article but I've been vegan for about 18 years.

Thats obvious from your posts.

A well-planned and thought out vegan diet is required.
Then in my opinion it's incredibly healthy.

But you have no scientific basis for that opinion.

There are issues with possible zinc deficiency and B12
but I can counter these by saying that soil has become
depleted of minerals by generations of intensive farming.

But its trivial to fix that.

It's thought that over a billion people are zinc deficient.

But thats because of where the food they eat is grown.

Safe to say, they're not all vegan, though many will be vegetarians if
they live in India.

B12 is actually misunderstood. People think it
only comes from meat. It actually is a bacterium
that lives on leaves, which the animals eat.

I do supplement with B12 and zinc picolinate but
if we were living thousands of years ago, growing
our own food, etc. I doubt I'd need to.

But you have no scientific basis for that doubt and
its irrelevant anyway, we dont live like that anymore.

To the person who called veganism a "crackpot
religion", it's neither of those things.

Bull****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed wrote

The boundary is crossed if I call you names, or if you call me names,
something a fellow poster seems keen to do to anyone who consumes
meat, or is a vegetarian consuming animal products, and can stand up
and justify their position. I would correctly describe him as a fanatic.

I don't think there's a perfect diet that works for everyone.

Depends on how you define works.

We have to find what works for us.

But that isnt possible lifespan wise.

I *became* a vegan rather than being born into
it so I've been able to tune my diet accordingly.

But wont ever know how successful that
was, even when you are about to die.

I predict within 30 years people in the western
world will have practically stopped eating meat

Not a chance, you watch.

because of the push for sustainability and alternatives developed
that are so similar that nobody will need to eat meat.

Thats bull****. Most dont give a **** about sustainability
and realise that fake meat doesnt fix that anyway.

It'll be become like smoking.

Nope, nothing like.

It's quite rare to see people smoking cigarettes
these days, at least in the city I'm in.

For a different reason. Its much harder to smoke
now and stupidly expensive and only fools dont
realise that it ****s your health severely.

Eating meat is nothing like that. Its much harder
to be a vegan than an omnivore and costs more
too and it doesnt **** your health either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 09/06/2021 21:30, Ed wrote:
[...]

More is much more likely in the bulk of the world.

but until we have a greater understanding of out diet and how it effects
growth in children I can't see it changing to the extent you imagine in 30
years time. Even then I don't expect a tray of chicken thighs to have a
warning "eating meat kills".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 09:57, T i m wrote:
Spike wrote:

On 08/06/2021 13:59, T i m wrote:
Spike wrote:

On 07/06/2021 19:15, T i m wrote:

[...]

Tim and his wife.

A while ago I asked what would his wife say if he wanted to eat meat. In a
roundabout way it wasn't something she would entertain.

Didnt see that but I dont read most of the vegan threads.

You sure you arent projecting ?

I have no need on a dietary basis.

I meant being afraid to do what the wife doesnt approve of.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:29:29 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile asshole's latest senile drivel

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:13:35 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I predict less meat consumption

More is much more likely in the bulk of the world.

Of COURSE, you auto-contradicting senile pest! pat pat

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:08:17 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the auto-contradicting trolling senile asshole's latest troll****
unread

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 13:45:19 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Who or What is Rod Speed?
man" on the InterNet."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 20:48, T i m wrote:

The funny thing is few seem bothered
what anyone eats until you mention you are a 'vegan' diet then all of
a sudden they become 1) interested in your diet and 2) become
nutrition experts themselves! Up to that point, they assume everyone
must be eating a 'Balanced diet' and we know that's rarely the case.

I don't expect Ed to go back over the posts, but you became vegan in
January 2020. Until the end of March in that year your posts on the
group could be said to have carried on in the same manner as previously.
From about the end of March you suddenly launched into vitriolic attacks
on meat-eaters, labelling them as 'murderers' and 'rapists'. It quickly
became clear from the way your postings then progressed that your real
agenda was not veganism per se, but that of anti-meat-eating veganist
crusade, which is something completely different. It was this that
prompted people to counter what you put across as 'facts', and against
which you have no real answer except to resort to abuse. HTH.

--
Spike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 17:22, T i m wrote:
Spike wrote:

snip

Even someone a thick as you should be able to come up with something,
even if it's just more lies and BS?

You're really struggling with the concept of freedom, aren't you.

Nope.

You're really struggling with the concept of freedom, aren't you. I
suppose that stems from your dystopian vision of a meat-free world and
your anti-meat-eating veganist crusade, and removing freedom is your way
to attain these aims.

Right, given

Given what? You've just made that up in order to save face.

you can now go back in my
'Ignore the stupid troll' list and just carry on wittering on to
yourself. Nutjob.

And so you end the discussion with abuse. Well done.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 09:57, T i m wrote:
Â* Spike wrote:

On 08/06/2021 13:59, T i m wrote:
Spike Â* wrote:

On 07/06/2021 19:15, T i m wrote:

[...]

I don't have a wife to disapprove.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2021 09:35, Spike wrote:
On 09/06/2021 20:48, T i m wrote:

The funny thing is few seem bothered
what anyone eats until you mention you are a 'vegan' diet then all of
a sudden they become 1) interested in your diet and 2) become
nutrition experts themselves! Up to that point, they assume everyone
must be eating a 'Balanced diet' and we know that's rarely the case.

I don't expect Ed to go back over the posts, but you became vegan in
January 2020. Until the end of March in that year your posts on the
group could be said to have carried on in the same manner as previously.
From about the end of March you suddenly launched into vitriolic attacks
on meat-eaters, labelling them as 'murderers' and 'rapists'. It quickly
became clear from the way your postings then progressed that your real
agenda was not veganism per se, but that of anti-meat-eating veganist
crusade, which is something completely different. It was this that
prompted people to counter what you put across as 'facts', and against
which you have no real answer except to resort to abuse. HTH.

I wasn't aware of the time-line. So that must all have happened when his
B12 stores ran out.

He really needs help.

Mostly Vegan - Ping Tim GB UK diy 193 May 12th 21 07:15 PM
Massive 'Become a Pork Lover' bus sparks vegan protest as mounted police forced to intervene p-0''0-h the cat (coder) Home Repair 4 July 26th 18 10:49 PM
ot? the Vegan Imperetive; T.Alan Kraus Metalworking 25 February 2nd 11 12:01 AM
Letter from the children of Israel to the children of Lebanon and the devd Home Repair 2 March 9th 07 03:02 AM