Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default Vegan children have stunted growth

On 09/06/2021 19:18, Ed wrote:
I've not read the article but I've been vegan for about 18 years.

There are a number of articles that associate a child's vegan diet with
poor brain development and reduced IQ. The same is not true for
vegetarians or omnivores who consume some fish, meat and/or meat products.

A well-planned and thought out vegan diet is required. Then in my
opinion it's incredibly healthy.

Without evidence it's difficult to make generalisations. Certainly
vegetarians live longer, and the cause and effect are out for debate. Do
more intelligent people live longer anyway.

There are issues with possible zinc
deficiency and B12 but I can counter these by saying that soil has
become depleted of minerals by generations of intensive farming.

And so animal feed is sometimes supplemented with the various trace
elements. Much soil used for pasture is near fallow, and less likely to
be overgrazed.

It's
thought that over a billion people are zinc deficient. Safe to say,
they're not all vegan, though many will be vegetarians if they live
in India.

And the age expectancy in India isn't the same as the western world.

B12 is actually misunderstood. People think it only comes
from meat. It actually is a bacterium that lives on leaves, which the
animals eat.

And that bacterium, together with cobalt minerals is processed into B12.
Normally in ruminants' stomachs, hence why milk and other meat products
are also important sources of these vitamins.

I do supplement with B12 and zinc picolinate but if we
were living thousands of years ago, growing our own food, etc. I
doubt I'd need to.

There are known vitamins, and some unknown, unknown vitamins vital for
health and development. There is so little we understand of the human
body. Personally I prefer my family have a natural balanced diet which
we have evolved to consume. There are articles that show longevity is
associated with diets our ancestors lived on.

To the person who called veganism a "crackpot
religion", it's neither of those things.

I have great respect for the average vegan, one that doesn't abuse those
around them when he finds out that we eat meat, and don't have any major
issues in doing so. I put you in this category, if I might call it one.

The boundary is crossed if I call you names, or if you call me names,
something a fellow poster seems keen to do to anyone who consumes meat,
or is a vegetarian consuming animal products, and can stand up and
justify their position. I would correctly describe him as a fanatic.