Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Mostly Vegan - Ping Tim

I bake most of the bread we eat, and it's nearly all vegan. But, for one
thing!

I need/like to glaze some of the loaves, and I haven't found a decent
substitute for egg to do that. I've tried the liquid from tinned
chickpeas, but it's really naff compared to nice shiny egg.

So, can you suggest a decent vegan substitute, please?

We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly
glazed bread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote

I bake most of the bread we eat,

I bake all I eat.

and it's nearly all vegan. But, for one thing!

I couldnt care less if its vegan or not or how badly
the wheat etc was tortured getting the grains off the
plants with some ****ing great machine costing a
decent chunk of a megabuck and moved in ****ing great
polluting trucks from where its grown to where I bake it.

I need/like to glaze some of the loaves, and I haven't found a decent
substitute for egg to do that. I've tried the liquid from tinned
chickpeas, but it's really naff compared to nice shiny egg.

So, can you suggest a decent vegan substitute, please?

We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly
glazed bread.

I'd tell them to like it or lump it or bring their own.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 19:03, GB wrote:
We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly
glazed bread.

Why on earth do you let these lunatics in your house, never mind humour
their dietary obsessions?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

I haven't found a decent substitute for egg

Not tried it, but I've seen something called "Oggs" on the supermarket
shelf?

https://www.loveoggs.com/product-oggs-aquafaba-egg-alternative/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 19:03, GB wrote:
I bake most of the bread we eat, and it's nearly all vegan. But, for one
thing!

I need/like to glaze some of the loaves, and I haven't found a decent
substitute for egg to do that. I've tried the liquid from tinned
chickpeas, but it's really naff compared to nice shiny egg.

So, can you suggest a decent vegan substitute, please?

We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly
glazed bread.

There are many alternatives that are alternatives to egg wash but don't
give a glaze finish.

I have read that brushing oil after baking is a way of getting a glaze
effect.

Do let us know how you get on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 May 2021 19:03:13 +0100, GB
wrote:

I bake most of the bread we eat, and it's nearly all vegan.

So do I (but only from kits). ;-)

But, for one
thing!

Ok ...

I need/like to glaze some of the loaves, and I haven't found a decent
substitute for egg to do that. I've tried the liquid from tinned
chickpeas, but it's really naff compared to nice shiny egg.

Oh.

So, can you suggest a decent vegan substitute, please?

No, sorry mate I can't (well not from personal experience) but there
do seem to be various solutions (one you have tried).

The loaves I bake are just a wholegrain and seem to 'brown up'
perfectly well on their own. ;-)

We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly
glazed bread.

Have you asked them if they care? The chances are if you are
accommodating them in general I think they would be happy with that or
what about asking them?

I do know a professional baker and I'll ask him if he glazes his vegan
range and if so, what he uses (and get back to you).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/05/2021 19:46, williamwright wrote:
On 06/05/2021 19:03, GB wrote:
We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly
glazed bread.

Why on earth do you let these lunatics in your house, never mind humour
their dietary obsessions?

The guests are only allowed into the garden under current covid rules.

They me be allowed into the house to use the toilet but how do they know
if the toilet paper or soap is vegan?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 19:03, GB wrote:
We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly
glazed bread.

Why on earth do you let these lunatics in your house, never mind humour
their dietary obsessions?

Vegan guests mean more Zebra left for GB? And he can argue that he's
doing his bit to save the planet by not inviting, say, you and Adam.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 19:03, GB wrote:
I bake most of the bread we eat, and it's nearly all vegan. But, for one
thing!

I need/like to glaze some of the loaves, and I haven't found a decent
substitute for egg to do that. I've tried the liquid from tinned
chickpeas, but it's really naff compared to nice shiny egg.

So, can you suggest a decent vegan substitute, please?

We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly
glazed bread.

milk works if they are not agin it

I guess you need a protein? Lentils boiled to destruction?

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/05/2021 19:03, GB wrote:
We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly
glazed bread.

Why on earth do you let these lunatics in your house, never mind
humour their dietary obsessions?

Vegan guests mean more Zebra left for GB? And he can argue that he's
doing his bit to save the planet by not inviting, say, you and Adam.

Swordfish steak tonight for tea.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 19:03, GB wrote:
We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly
glazed bread.

Why on earth do you let these lunatics in your house, never mind
humour their dietary obsessions?

Vegan guests mean more Zebra left for GB? And he can argue that he's
doing his bit to save the planet by not inviting, say, you and Adam.

Swordfish steak tonight for tea.

lovely jubbly

but after the zebra et al I can't help but wonder if you've been working
at a zoo lately

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Fri, 7 May 2021 04:35:58 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 19:03, GB wrote:
I bake most of the bread we eat, and it's nearly all vegan. But, for one
thing!

I need/like to glaze some of the loaves, and I haven't found a decent
substitute for egg to do that. I've tried the liquid from tinned
chickpeas, but it's really naff compared to nice shiny egg.

So, can you suggest a decent vegan substitute, please?

We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly
glazed bread.

I've eaten challah with a maple syrup glaze. I think diluted as the
flavour was mild but then so are some syrups.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 19:03, GB wrote:
I bake most of the bread we eat, and it's nearly all vegan. But, for one
thing!

I need/like to glaze some of the loaves, and I haven't found a decent
substitute for egg to do that. I've tried the liquid from tinned
chickpeas, but it's really naff compared to nice shiny egg.

So, can you suggest a decent vegan substitute, please?

We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly
glazed bread.

can you not use sugared water as thats whats used onhot cross buns?

It does mean you'd have to get used ot teh sweetness though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/05/2021 19:58, T i m wrote:

We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly
glazed bread.

Have you asked them if they care? The chances are if you are
accommodating them in general I think they would be happy with that or
what about asking them?

The main guest is our son in law, and he's perfectly happy with the
vegan glaze. Thinking about it, it's the rest of the family who are
disappointed by it.

I do know a professional baker and I'll ask him if he glazes his vegan
range and if so, what he uses (and get back to you).

Thanks. That would be appreciated.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 19:03, GB wrote:
I bake most of the bread we eat, and it's nearly all vegan. But, for
one thing!

I need/like to glaze some of the loaves, and I haven't found a decent
substitute for egg to do that. I've tried the liquid from tinned
chickpeas, but it's really naff compared to nice shiny egg.

So, can you suggest a decent vegan substitute, please?

We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly
glazed bread.

milk works if they are not agin it

You seem to not grasp the "vegan" bit of this.

I guess you need a protein? Lentils boiled to destruction?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 May 2021 19:46:11 +0100, williamwright
wrote:

On 06/05/2021 19:03, GB wrote:

We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly
glazed bread.

Why on earth do you let these lunatics in your house, never mind humour
their dietary obsessions?

Bill

Don't apologise - ask them how to glaze it acceptably.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 06:30, Richard wrote:
milk works if they are not agin it

You seem to not grasp the "vegan" bit of this.

Vegans won't have milk because milking a cow kills it.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 08:34, williamwright wrote:
On 07/05/2021 06:30, Richard wrote:
milk works if they are not agin it

You seem to not grasp the "vegan" bit of this.

Vegans won't have milk because milking a cow kills it.

Bill

There is a range of vegan milk options available:

Soya milk
Oat milk
coconut milk
Peanut milk
cashew milk
Almond milk
Pistachio milk

(from
https://www.independent.co.uk/extras...-a8485246.html)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

P.S.

There is a vegan cheese shop in london:

https://secretldn.com/la-fauxmagerie-cheesemonger/

https://shop.lafauxmagerie.com/

Apparently you can have cheeses through the post if London is too far
away for you to travel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

and while on the subject of baking glazes:

http://www.veganbaking.net/recipes/c...gs/sugar-glaze
Posted to uk.d-i-y

And believe it or not, there is a vegan substitute for egg:

https://followyourheart.com/products/veganegg/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 May 2021 01:30:55 +0100, GB
wrote:

On 06/05/2021 19:58, T i m wrote:

We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly
glazed bread.

Have you asked them if they care? The chances are if you are
accommodating them in general I think they would be happy with that or
what about asking them?

The main guest is our son in law, and he's perfectly happy with the
vegan glaze. Thinking about it, it's the rest of the family who are
disappointed by it.

See, and they say vegans are 'fussy'! (Well, yes we are, we 'prefer'
our food didn't come with others suffering pain, suffering and death).

I do know a professional baker and I'll ask him if he glazes his vegan
range and if so, what he uses (and get back to you).

Thanks. That would be appreciated.

He replied with something about 'orange' but I'm not sure he
understood the question so I've re-stated it in my reply (we are going
to try some of his sourdough bread and I think he though we wanted it
(vegan) glazed).

OOI, what is the main purpose of the glaze for you as it seems it can
change the flavour and so there are some for sweet and some for
savoury? If it's just the colour, wouldn't that only really be visible
when the loaf is sitting there whole, rather than cut up in slices?

I guess it might be more relevant if you were making rolls etc?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 May 2021 22:23:04 +0100, SH wrote:

snip

can you not use sugared water as thats whats used onhot cross buns?

It does mean you'd have to get used ot teh sweetness though.

That was my question after a quick Google on bread glazes (I've never
glazed any of mine and so wasn't sure what the key purpose was). GB
mentioned the colour but as a utilitarian I wouldn't really care about
that and the wholegrain loaves I bake generally come out the colour I
am used to seeing bread being in any case?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 May 2021 06:30:17 +0100, Richard

On 06/05/2021 19:03, GB wrote:
I bake most of the bread we eat, and it's nearly all vegan. But, for
one thing!

I need/like to glaze some of the loaves, and I haven't found a decent
substitute for egg to do that. I've tried the liquid from tinned
chickpeas, but it's really naff compared to nice shiny egg.

So, can you suggest a decent vegan substitute, please?

We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly
glazed bread.

milk works if they are not agin it

You seem to not grasp the "vegan" bit of this.

Unfortunately this is the sort of thing we (vegans) get all the time,
people arguing against 'it' when they really don't understand what
'it' is. It is very very simple:

"Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is
possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty
to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose."

What they (and the vegetarians) don't get is the cruelty involved in
the industrial production of milk and eggs, they think something has
to die to have suffered.

They say stupid things like 'Vegans won't have milk because milking a
cow kills it.' but even as a wind-up it's both ignorant and childish
because 'of course' vegans know that the only way you can get milk is
to get a cow pregnant (typically artificially), let it give birth then
deny that calf the milk by killing it, either then (specifically if
it's a male as they are 'no use' for milk production), or after a few
months (after containing it in a small pen (rose veal)) or subjecting
it to the same slavery of producing 'industrial' levels of milk till
it's exhausted and then it's killed at about 7 of it's 20+ year life.

http://www.skoolofvegan.com/if-we-do...yll-burst.html

So why anyone would consume the growth fluid of a different species,
especially after they have weaned is simply because that's how they
were conditioned from a child and now can't actually see it for the
bizarre process it is.

https://ibb.co/VDR6Mny

They consider 'milk' a thing, a commodity and that we are supposed to
have, when it's just the opposite and always has been.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 May 2021 08:51:42 +0100, SH wrote:

On 07/05/2021 08:34, williamwright wrote:
On 07/05/2021 06:30, Richard wrote:
milk works if they are not agin it

You seem to not grasp the "vegan" bit of this.

Vegans won't have milk because milking a cow kills it.

Bill

There is a range of vegan milk options available:

Soya milk
Oat milk
coconut milk
Peanut milk
cashew milk
Almond milk
Pistachio milk

They aren't actually 'vegan milk options', they are 'human milk
options' as we should never have been consuming the growth fluid of a
different species in the first place!

Once you have undone all the indoctrination you (we) have been
subjected to for (for most here), many many years you should be able
to see it for the weird behaviour that it has always been.

Now, 'I get' you might stoop to all sorts of levels to do things to
survive but we aren't talking about survival in 2021, well not for a
vast proportion of the population in any case. And given 65% of the
population are lactose intolerant (more intolerant of cows milk than
pretty well anything else), that should give you the clue that maybe
we weren't ever meant to drink it.

Building up a tolerance to something we weren't naturally tolerant to
(because it wasn't meant for us) makes as much sense of keeping
smoking even though it makes you sick until you can do it without
being sick.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/05/2021 10:44, T i m wrote:

I guess it might be more relevant if you were making rolls etc?

That's indeed what I am making. I'll try to post a picture later.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 May 2021 08:53:58 +0100, SH wrote:

P.S.

There is a vegan cheese shop in london:

https://secretldn.com/la-fauxmagerie-cheesemonger/

https://shop.lafauxmagerie.com/

Apparently you can have cheeses through the post if London is too far
away for you to travel.

Or you can buy it in pretty well any supermarket. ;-)

I used to like the occasional bit of cheese, a strong cheddar
typically but was warned off 'dairy' by my doctor for health reasons a
good few years ago (as has my BIL).

Vegan cheese (scheese) isn't the same taste as cows milk cheese but
the general texture is there , as is the meltability (as in cheese on
toast) and is fine on say a pizza (Pappa John's do a fair range of
vegan pizzas, as do most of them of course now) but it's not yet quite
the same.

However, what we are doing then is comparing the taste of something we
are used to, something we shouldn't have been consuming in the first
place ('cows milk' was meant for 'cows', not humans (same with goat
milk etc)) the same applies to anything made from it, like butter and
cheese.

So, it's not 'going without' anything, it's not assuming you can have
something you have stolen from someone else.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 11:31, T i m wrote:
[...]

Well mothers do produce human milk for their babies. Its also documented
that mothers can breast feed for several years..... I've heard of kids
still breast feeding at age 6.

So clearly humans can at least drink & digest human milk.....

What would your thoughts be on harvesting human milk and making cheese,
butter, yoghurt etc out of it?

(a genuine question rather than an attempt to wind anyone up... :-) )
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

https://imgur.com/hhkmIVX

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 12:13, T i m wrote:
Vegan cheese (scheese) isn't the same taste as cows milk cheese

I bet it isn't!

However, what we are doing then is comparing the taste of something we
are used to, something we shouldn't have been consuming in the first
place ('cows milk' was meant for 'cows', not humans (same with goat
milk etc))

"Was meant for"? Who by? God? Your mindset is very weird.

So, it's not 'going without' anything, it's not assuming you can have
something you have stolen from someone else.

How can you steal from a cow that you own? Cows with full udders are
damned glad when milking time comes.

Humans assume that we can make full use of the natural world because
there's no reason why not. We are the dominant species after all. Rape
loot and pillage, that's what I say.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 12:25, Tim Streater wrote:
On 07 May 2021 at 08:53:58 BST, SH wrote:

P.S.

There is a vegan cheese shop in london:

Prop: Michael Palin, no doubt.

Well it's true that a vegan cheese shop would be 'completely
uncontaminated' by nice cheese.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 May 2021 12:41:03 +0100, SH wrote:

snip

Building up a tolerance to something we weren't naturally tolerant to
(because it wasn't meant for us) makes as much sense of keeping
smoking even though it makes you sick until you can do it without
being sick.

Well mothers do produce human milk for their babies. Its also documented
that mothers can breast feed for several years..... I've heard of kids
still breast feeding at age 6.

Ok ...

So clearly humans can at least drink & digest human milk.....

Ah, yes, 'human milk', milk from and for humans, not milk from a
different species designed (only) for that species. ;-)

What would your thoughts be on harvesting human milk and making cheese,
butter, yoghurt etc out of it?

Well, at least it would be natural (for us to consume, pre weaning)
and as long as the people involved were doing so voluntarily (so
*their choice*) and didn't need to have their babies taken away and
killed ...

(a genuine question rather than an attempt to wind anyone up... :-) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnhO2uOTW3w

I think Ricky's reaction is typical of most people that have been
weaned. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 11:31, T i m wrote:

They aren't actually 'vegan milk options', they are 'human milk
options' as we should never have been consuming the growth fluid of a
different species in the first place!

Why not? Who says? Where does this ruling come from? You're doing what
the greeny nutters do, trying to make rules for everyone based on your
minority crackpot ideas.

Once you have undone all the indoctrination you (we) have been
subjected to for (for most here), many many years you should be able
to see it for the weird behaviour that it has always been.

I'm a member of a species that has co-existed with farm animals for
millennia. That's not indoctrination, it's the natural world as it's
evolved.

Now, 'I get' you might stoop to all sorts of levels to do things to
survive but we aren't talking about survival in 2021, well not for a
vast proportion of the population in any case. And given 65% of the
population are lactose intolerant (more intolerant of cows milk than
pretty well anything else), that should give you the clue that maybe
we weren't ever meant to drink it.

Got a source for that figure? As it applies to our indigenous
population? I know some effniks have problems with milk.

Building up a tolerance to something we weren't naturally tolerant to
(because it wasn't meant for us) makes as much sense of keeping
smoking even though it makes you sick until you can do it without
being sick.

No it isn't comparable because smoking is bad for you and milk is good
for you.

Bill

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 11:22, T i m wrote:
They say stupid things like 'Vegans won't have milk because milking a
cow kills it.'

No it's true. It happened to a cow in our village. Something to do with
the earth connection coming off the milking machine I believe.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 06/05/2021 19:58, T i m wrote:

We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly
glazed bread.

Have you asked them if they care? The chances are if you are
accommodating them in general I think they would be happy with that or
what about asking them?

The main guest is our son in law, and he's perfectly happy with the
vegan glaze. Thinking about it, it's the rest of the family who are
disappointed by it.

See, and they say vegans are 'fussy'! (Well, yes we are, we 'prefer'
our food didn't come with others suffering pain, suffering and death).

Death is a certainty, pain and suffering are optional. Shame you don't
care about animal welfare while the animal is alive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SH" wrote in message
On 07/05/2021 08:34, williamwright wrote:
On 07/05/2021 06:30, Richard wrote:
milk works if they are not agin it

You seem to not grasp the "vegan" bit of this.

Vegans won't have milk because milking a cow kills it.

Bill

There is a range of vegan milk options available:

Soya milk
Oat milk
coconut milk
Peanut milk
cashew milk
Almond milk
Pistachio milk

that's well known

ITYF that the point that the OP is making is that these alternatives don't
adequately substitute when used as a glaze for baking

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 11:31, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 7 May 2021 08:51:42 +0100, SH wrote:

On 07/05/2021 08:34, williamwright wrote:
On 07/05/2021 06:30, Richard wrote:
milk works if they are not agin it

You seem to not grasp the "vegan" bit of this.

Vegans won't have milk because milking a cow kills it.

Bill

There is a range of vegan milk options available:

Soya milk
Oat milk
coconut milk
Peanut milk
cashew milk
Almond milk
Pistachio milk

They aren't actually 'vegan milk options', they are 'human milk
options' as we should never have been consuming the growth fluid of a
different species in the first place!

Given we have evolved to have the necessary genes to digest lactose in
adulthood, that is not true.

Once you have undone all the indoctrination you (we) have been
subjected to for (for most here), many many years you should be able
to see it for the weird behaviour that it has always been.

Only weird to fanatical vegans who don't think it's weird to consume
soya milk in its place.

Now, 'I get' you might stoop to all sorts of levels to do things to
survive but we aren't talking about survival in 2021, well not for a
vast proportion of the population in any case. And given 65% of the
population are lactose intolerant (more intolerant of cows milk than
pretty well anything else), that should give you the clue that maybe
we weren't ever meant to drink it.

The western population has the gene to process lactose. If you were
Asian then I would extend my sympathies to your inability to digest milk.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactase_persistence

Building up a tolerance to something we weren't naturally tolerant to
(because it wasn't meant for us) makes as much sense of keeping
smoking even though it makes you sick until you can do it without
being sick.

You're now talking gibberish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 19:03, GB wrote:
[...]

Because we have evolved the gene to digest milk, 100% of the Irish
posses this gene by way of example.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactase_persistence

https://ibb.co/VDR6Mny

They consider 'milk' a thing, a commodity and that we are supposed to
have, when it's just the opposite and always has been.

It is a commodity, much like soy , coconut and other food products. Milk
has been part of our natural balanced diet for thousands of years. You'd
rather that not be the case and so bury your head in the sand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 10:22, T i m wrote:

subjecting
it to the same slavery of producing 'industrial' levels of milk till
it's exhausted and then it's killed at about 7 of it's 20+ year life.

That's interesting, because wild foxes have the ability to live for 20
years, but the average age at death for them is about 5 years.

So it looks from your figures that cows have 2 extra years of their
pampered life that wild foxes never see at all.

The natural world...great if you don't live in it...

--
Spike