Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Drivers

Why the F do some drivers leave such a big gap behind the vehicle in front!
Watched a busy junction yesterday - An ambulance was trying to get through
but the junction was blocked - several cars further down there were
massive gaps that, if closed up would have left the junction clear.

Another near me often has cars backing up when the light change - yet in
the distance is someone leaving a 2 car gap in front. Probably the
mentality of "I won't get there any faster if I close up"

Similar annoyance is Mr Kind who stops to let cars out of every side road -
preferably before they have to stop. What about some consideration to those
behind?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/04/2021 14:09, JohnP wrote:
Why the F do some drivers leave such a big gap behind the vehicle in front!
Watched a busy junction yesterday - An ambulance was trying to get through
but the junction was blocked - several cars further down there were
massive gaps that, if closed up would have left the junction clear.

Another near me often has cars backing up when the light change - yet in
the distance is someone leaving a 2 car gap in front. Probably the
mentality of "I won't get there any faster if I close up"

So, every time a gap appears, it's his duty to put it into gear, rev up,
and drive forward. Why, in general, is that a good idea?

I fully accept, by the way, that he should do whatever he can to let the
ambulance through.

Similar annoyance is Mr Kind who stops to let cars out of every side road -
preferably before they have to stop. What about some consideration to those
behind?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2021 14:09, JohnP wrote:
Why the F do some drivers leave such a big gap behind the vehicle in front!
Watched a busy junction yesterday

Learner drivers are taught to be able to see the rear wheels of the car
in front when they stop.

Also if the car in front rolls back, you get the blame for being too close.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
Why the F do some drivers leave such a big gap behind the vehicle in
front! Watched a busy junction yesterday - An ambulance was trying to
get through but the junction was blocked - several cars further down
there were massive gaps that, if closed up would have left the junction
clear.

Don't be silly. It needs a driver to be awake and thoughtful to leave a
junction clear unless a yellow box where they risk a penalty. And try
doing it with a side street. And get hooted at by the white van behind.

--
*War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 14:31:38 +0100, GB
wrote:

On 07/04/2021 14:09, JohnP wrote:
Why the F do some drivers leave such a big gap behind the vehicle in front!
Watched a busy junction yesterday - An ambulance was trying to get through
but the junction was blocked - several cars further down there were
massive gaps that, if closed up would have left the junction clear.

Another near me often has cars backing up when the light change - yet in
the distance is someone leaving a 2 car gap in front. Probably the
mentality of "I won't get there any faster if I close up"

So, every time a gap appears, it's his duty to put it into gear, rev up,
and drive forward. Why, in general, is that a good idea?

I fully accept, by the way, that he should do whatever he can to let the
ambulance through.

There have been times when I've 'closed up' to the car in front to
allow more people behind me to get though a junction etc (I'm very
conscious of such things) only to then find I'm trapped behind an
idiot with a load of space in front of them but seemingly unable to
make space for an emergency vehicle trying to get by.

If you leave some space (and I believe we are supposed to) you do have
a bit more flexibility for such things.

Talking of inconsiderate people g, it seems there is a report that
has suggested the SUV's are the top 10 vehicles in the list of most
polluting vehicles used in cities and the owners the least likely to
take them (inc the 4WD ones) off road.

The reason they are so high on the list is that the marketing is the
most aggressive because the profit margins are the greatest.

People don't 'need' these SUVs (in the main and especially in the
inner city) but are made to believe they do by the marketing.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2021 14:31, GB wrote:
On 07/04/2021 14:09, JohnP wrote:
Why the F do some drivers leave such a big gap behind the vehicle in
front!
Watched a busy junction yesterday - An ambulance was trying to get
through
but the junction was blocked -Â* several cars further down there were
massive gaps that, if closed up would have left the junction clear.

Another near me often has cars backing up when the light change - yet in
the distance is someone leaving a 2 car gap in front. Probably the
mentality of "I won't get there any faster if I close up"

So, every time a gap appears, it's his duty to put it into gear, rev up,
and drive forward. Why, in general, is that a good idea?

I fully accept, by the way, that he should do whatever he can to let the
ambulance through.

Similar annoyance is Mr Kind who stops to let cars out of every side
road -
preferably before they have to stop. What about some consideration to
those
behind?

Why, when I leave a suitable safe gap between me and the vehicle
in front, does some dickhead overtake and fill it, achieving
precisely nothing because there is a long line of vehicles
ahead ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
Why the F do some drivers leave such a big gap behind the vehicle in
front! Watched a busy junction yesterday - An ambulance was trying to
get through but the junction was blocked - several cars further down
there were massive gaps that, if closed up would have left the junction
clear.

Don't be silly. It needs a driver to be awake and thoughtful to leave a
junction clear unless a yellow box where they risk a penalty. And try
doing it with a side street. And get hooted at by the white van behind.

If people stopped making pointless journeys by car then the
roads would be much emptier.

Roll on road pricing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 14:57:17 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
Why the F do some drivers leave such a big gap behind the vehicle in
front! Watched a busy junction yesterday - An ambulance was trying to
get through but the junction was blocked - several cars further down
there were massive gaps that, if closed up would have left the junction
clear.

Don't be silly. It needs a driver to be awake and thoughtful to leave a
junction clear unless a yellow box where they risk a penalty. And try
doing it with a side street. And get hooted at by the white van behind.

Or get a ticket because the space you were going to pull into on the
other side of a small box gets filled by a vehicle pulling out in
front of you from the side road and taking the space (often
pressurised to do that by as you say, someone behind wanting to turn
left down the sideroad).

It's a shame they don't care to look at the CCTV and spot when someone
has been put in such a position by others not following the rules
(moral / ethical if not illegal).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/04/2021 15:03, T i m wrote:

Talking of inconsiderate people g, it seems there is a report that
has suggested the SUV's are the top 10 vehicles in the list of most
polluting vehicles used in cities and the owners the least likely to
take them (inc the 4WD ones) off road.

The reason they are so high on the list is that the marketing is the
most aggressive because the profit margins are the greatest.

People don't 'need' these SUVs (in the main and especially in the
inner city) but are made to believe they do by the marketing.

They get used for the school run. Half a dozen yummies take turns
picking up and dropping off each other's children, and so they need
fairly large vehicles to fit them all in. A people carrier or large SUV
fits the bill.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m posted

Talking of inconsiderate people g, it seems there is a report that
has suggested the SUV's are the top 10 vehicles in the list of most
polluting vehicles used in cities

Well almost any vehicle is going to be in the top ten of a list of
categories of road vehicle. There aren't very many categories anyway.

and the owners the least likely to
take them (inc the 4WD ones) off road.

The reason they are so high on the list is that the marketing is the
most aggressive because the profit margins are the greatest.

People don't 'need' these SUVs (in the main and especially in the
inner city) but are made to believe they do by the marketing.

Many city-dwellers have them because they own a second home in the
country, where they often *are* useful whether you go off road or not. I
don't go off-road but there's been plenty of times I've been glad of 4WD
mode.

--
Algernon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 15:41:53 +0100, GB
wrote:

snip

People don't 'need' these SUVs (in the main and especially in the
inner city) but are made to believe they do by the marketing.

They get used for the school run.

Agreed.

Half a dozen yummies take turns
picking up and dropping off each other's children, and so they need
fairly large vehicles to fit them all in.

I've not seen that round here, just one or maybe two kids in each.

A people carrier or large SUV
fits the bill.

Whilst it may be completely coincidental, there seems to be some
correlation between the type / make / spec of the vehicle and where /
how you park it.

eg, Parked up on the grass right outside the school or across people
drives (often even with them displaying signs saying 'Keep clear, in
use 24 hours' etc) will be the SUV's or big BM's, Mercs or Audis then
as you get further away and parked properly on permitted areas and
parking bays, the more ordinary / mundane cars?

There is often the exception to the rule of course.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think you have a responsibility to those behind. If everyone allowed a
gap to develop then the queue gets longer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote in
:

On 07 Apr 2021 at 14:09:10 BST, JohnP wrote:

Why the F do some drivers leave such a big gap behind the vehicle in
front! Watched a busy junction yesterday - An ambulance was trying to
get through but the junction was blocked - several cars further down
there were massive gaps that, if closed up would have left the
junction clear.

I take it you mean a gap when they are at rest at lights, not when
driving along? I agree about the gap at the lights, but most people
don't leave a sensible gap between themselves and the vehicle in front
when on the move. I learnt very early on to do that.

Yes - in a static - or crawling queue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2021 14:31, GB wrote:
On 07/04/2021 14:09, JohnP wrote:
Why the F do some drivers leave such a big gap behind the vehicle in
front!
Watched a busy junction yesterday - An ambulance was trying to get
through
but the junction was blocked -Â* several cars further down there were
massive gaps that, if closed up would have left the junction clear.

Another near me often has cars backing up when the light change - yet in
the distance is someone leaving a 2 car gap in front. Probably the
mentality of "I won't get there any faster if I close up"

So, every time a gap appears, it's his duty to put it into gear, rev up,
and drive forward. Why, in general, is that a good idea?..

At a level crossing near me, large gaps in the queue result in the tail
of the queue backing up into a roundabout, eventually blocking traffic
from four other roads that lead into it. Better awareness by some
drivers of the effects their actions are having would help.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
T i m posted

[...]

when these vehicles first appeared they were known a "Off the road
vehicles".
Ideal for parking on the pavement.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 16:03:02 +0100, Algernon Goss-Custard
wrote:

T i m posted

Talking of inconsiderate people g, it seems there is a report that
has suggested the SUV's are the top 10 vehicles in the list of most
polluting vehicles used in cities

Well almost any vehicle is going to be in the top ten of a list of
categories of road vehicle.

Ah, I see you have added an 'in' there. ;-)

There aren't very many categories anyway.

Well, there are a few but I'll give you there aren't millions.

and the owners the least likely to
take them (inc the 4WD ones) off road.

The reason they are so high on the list is that the marketing is the
most aggressive because the profit margins are the greatest.

People don't 'need' these SUVs (in the main and especially in the
inner city) but are made to believe they do by the marketing.

Many city-dwellers have them because they own a second home in the
country, where they often *are* useful whether you go off road or not.

The news report suggested otherwise?

don't go off-road but there's been plenty of times I've been glad of 4WD
mode.

See above.

This was an old report and may have been USA focused (where SUV's may
be bigger than they are here).

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...figures-reveal

The thing I saw on the news was suggesting they will be trying to
lobby the government to get vehicle manufacturers to stop pushing
their best money makers a bit less forcibly

This is closer to what the news item was saying:

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...s-report-urges

I think they were saying that one EV was sold for every 37 SUV's and
from their observation, very few were required by their owners for the
characteristics that they offered, so was more a lifestyle choice and
that in turn was a function of aggressive marketing based on best
profits, at the cost to the environment to all of us.

Now, if you actually *need* the size, weight, space or 4x4 features
then you aren't part of their / our issues.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 15:44:50 GMT, JohnP wrote:

Tim Streater wrote in
:

On 07 Apr 2021 at 14:09:10 BST, JohnP wrote:

Why the F do some drivers leave such a big gap behind the vehicle in
front! Watched a busy junction yesterday - An ambulance was trying to
get through but the junction was blocked - several cars further down
there were massive gaps that, if closed up would have left the
junction clear.

I take it you mean a gap when they are at rest at lights, not when
driving along? I agree about the gap at the lights, but most people
don't leave a sensible gap between themselves and the vehicle in front
when on the move. I learnt very early on to do that.

Yes - in a static - or crawling queue.

There are several instances of lights / junctions round here that have
a *very* short sequence in some directions and at various times. There
is one right filter where if you aren't really ready and get off
smartly on the green, you might only be one or 3 of a queue of 20 that
get's through each long cycle.

So I've nearly done a PIT Manoeuvre on the car in front as they have
turned right after the lights in an effort to get them to hurry up
getting clear of the junction to give those behind a chance to get
though.

Many people, especially those talking to their passengers or on the
phone seem oblivious of everyone else, especially those behind
suffering the consequences of their selfish actions and have added
another 5 minutes on the journey time to for no justifiable /
unavoidable reason.

In a different vein it also frustrates us when someone at the end of a
string of cars stops to let us cross, rather than carrying on past and
letting us cross in the massive gap behind them and the next batch of
cars (for the extra pollution that causes if nothing else).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 16:03:02 +0100, Algernon Goss-Custard
wrote:

T i m posted

[...]

some 20 years ago, my daughter had a cartoon from the Telegraph weekend
supplement pinned up in her kitchen. In the female character was saying "I
want my child to have wide open space, security and fresh air. So we've
bought a large 4x4 with aircondtioning and central locking."

What's new?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 17:01:10 +0100, charles wrote:

when these vehicles first appeared they were known a "Off the road
vehicles".

Off-road. "Off the road" means broken.

Ideal for parking on the pavement.

:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 17:38:30 +0100, charles
wrote:

snip

I think they were saying that one EV was sold for every 37 SUV's and
from their observation, very few were required by their owners for the
characteristics that they offered, so was more a lifestyle choice

some 20 years ago, my daughter had a cartoon from the Telegraph weekend
supplement pinned up in her kitchen. In the female character was saying "I
want my child to have wide open space, security and fresh air. So we've
bought a large 4x4 with aircondtioning and central locking."

;-)

What's new?

More cars and people in the same space?

I wonder how bad (congestion / parking) things have to get before the
ability to have something that takes up more space on the road (and
parking) is made to pay their full share and / or people look to
buying smaller cars or using alternatives?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Nope, women drivers feel safer in them, even tho they are actually less safe
in reality.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 05:10:14 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Nope

LOL! Senile asshole!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , GB
writes
On 07/04/2021 15:03, T i m wrote:

Talking of inconsiderate people g, it seems there is a report that
has suggested the SUV's are the top 10 vehicles in the list of most
polluting vehicles used in cities and the owners the least likely to
take them (inc the 4WD ones) off road.
The reason they are so high on the list is that the marketing is the
most aggressive because the profit margins are the greatest.
People don't 'need' these SUVs (in the main and especially in the
inner city) but are made to believe they do by the marketing.

They get used for the school run. Half a dozen yummies take turns
picking up and dropping off each other's children, and so they need
fairly large vehicles to fit them all in. A people carrier or large SUV
fits the bill.

It's the shape people prefer rather than what comes out of a wind
tunnel. BTW a large number of Evoques now on the road are 2 wheel drive.

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , JohnP
writes
Similar annoyance is Mr Kind who stops to let cars out of every side road -
preferably before they have to stop. What about some consideration to those
behind?

Now that I do agree with. Even when they stop for me. You've
automatically gone into "wait for them" mode then the idiot goes and
stops to wave you through for no good reason. I WAS HAPPY TO WAIT A FEW
SECONDS YOU NUMPTY.

Whilst we're having a moan, people who instantly stop when they see or
hear blue lights rather than assessing the situation and timing pulling
in as appropriate as the emergency vehicle approaches.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , T i m
writes
On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 17:38:30 +0100, charles
wrote:

snip

[...]

4X4s or SUVs if you prefer don't all have the largest footprint. Take a
look at something like a Mondeo for example.
You could start with cyclists of course. They pay **** all.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew
writes
On 07/04/2021 14:31, GB wrote:
[...]

All the time on the motorways. Driving to close in front of the vehicle
behind.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , T i m
writes
On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 14:57:17 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
[...]

You should get a job as a PCSO round here. It's all they ****ing do all
day.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , T i m
writes
[...]

Jesus, you should get a life.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar wrote in
:

On 07/04/2021 14:31, GB wrote:
[...]

Exactly the situation I mean.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ces of their selfish actions and have added
another 5 minutes on the journey time to for no justifiable /
unavoidable reason.

In a different vein it also frustrates us when someone at the end of a
string of cars stops to let us cross, rather than carrying on past and
letting us cross in the massive gap behind them and the next batch of
cars (for the extra pollution that causes if nothing else).

Cheers, T i m

Spot on - likewise the "flasher" who waves a car out of a side turn -
oblivious to what is coming the other way. Just wanting a "nice" credit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bert wrote in :

In article , JohnP
writes
Similar annoyance is Mr Kind who stops to let cars out of every side
road - preferably before they have to stop. What about some
consideration to those behind?

Now that I do agree with. Even when they stop for me. You've
automatically gone into "wait for them" mode then the idiot goes and
stops to wave you through for no good reason. I WAS HAPPY TO WAIT A
FEW SECONDS YOU NUMPTY.

Whilst we're having a moan, people who instantly stop when they see or
hear blue lights rather than assessing the situation and timing
pulling in as appropriate as the emergency vehicle approaches.

Agreed - or risks their tyres and tracking by bumping up the kerb.

The driver that flashes and waves me out is a danger. I will decide when it
is save as usually that driver hasn't assessed to total situation. I once
got hit by a car that came out of a junction - because a car flashed and
waved him out - but I was turning in!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2021 22:58, JohnP wrote:
bert wrote in :

In article , JohnP
writes
[...]

The weekend before last it was a cyclist - who kept waving me past,
despite it being a fairly narrow country road, close to a bend, with no
idea what might be coming the other way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The weekend before last it was a cyclist - who kept waving me past,
despite it being a fairly narrow country road, close to a bend, with
no idea what might be coming the other way.

It is dangerous as most people will subliminally feel obliged to comply
with gratitude. I never wave anyone out. There are times when I may
obviously lift my hands off the steering wheel to signify I am not going to
move.

I feel that a crawling queue should be like a train! Coupled wagons. Others
can join at the back end - or reconsider the validity of the rat run if
that is what they were doing.

Near me is a road that avoids a set of traffic lights. To use it the driver
has to cross a double lane on a dual carriageway, negotiate parked cars and
a speed bump and then wait to get out at the other end. Lo and behold
though - someone will stop and let him out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 21:55:37 GMT, JohnP wrote:

ces of their selfish actions and have added
another 5 minutes on the journey time to for no justifiable /
unavoidable reason.

In a different vein it also frustrates us when someone at the end of a
string of cars stops to let us cross, rather than carrying on past and
letting us cross in the massive gap behind them and the next batch of
cars (for the extra pollution that causes if nothing else).

Spot on - likewise the "flasher" who waves a car out of a side turn -
oblivious to what is coming the other way. Just wanting a "nice" credit.

Well, I don't know how many people do it for that reason (unless they
know them possibly), rather than they just aren't seeing the bigger
picture?

I really believe many people turn off their brain as they turn on
their car engine.

Or they change character, pushing into queues in a way they wouldn't
dare to if on foot.

On the road-space one, another thing that get's me are people parking
in bays that are beside / parallel to the road where they don't park
right close to the end (meaning a bay can now only take 2 not 3 cars).
Similarly, parking 7/8ths of a cars length from a car that's obviously
at the end of any parking space (like on the road beside an access
road) when the front car can just drive out so you only need to leave
enough space to get out yourself assuming someone parks close behind
you or the person in front needs to get access to the rear of their
vehicle (like an estate to get dogs back in after a walk etc).

I often give them the benefit of the doubt and assume there may have
been a motorcycle or longer vehicle parked there but the chances are
there wasn't (as I've sometimes seen them parking).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 23:03:11 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

The weekend before last it was a cyclist - who kept waving me past,
despite it being a fairly narrow country road, close to a bend, with no
idea what might be coming the other way.

Is there any chance they could hear there was nothing coming, or see
over the top of stuff?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..

The weekend before last it was a cyclist - who kept waving me past,
despite it being a fairly narrow country road, close to a bend, with
no idea what might be coming the other way.

It is dangerous as most people will subliminally feel obliged to comply
with gratitude. I never wave anyone out. There are times when I may
obviously lift my hands off the steering wheel to signify I am not going
move.

I was driving along a single-track road with passing places, following a
cyclist. Whenever we got to a passing place where it *might* be safe for me
to overtake, he moved out into the middle of the road, preventing me
overtaking. But when we were in a single section, approaching a bend, he
signalled furiously, waving me past. He did this several times: it was not
just a fluke. Either he *wanted* me to force him into the verge and then hit
an oncoming car that appeared from round the bend, or else he had no traffic
sense at all.

He seemed to be getting more and more irate that I wouldn't overtake, but he
wasn't letting me do so at the places where it was safe. On one occasion I
could see the top of a red Royal Mail van over the wall around the bend, so
I *knew* it wasn't safe. From his higher vantage point he should have had an
even better view of it and known not to beckon me on.

I think some of the problem is the "performance cyclists" who want to ride
as fast as their stamina and the gradient will let them, and who aren't
prepared to let any other traffic past. When I'm cycling, especially on a
narrow country lane, I try to be aware of whether there's anything behind
me, and will always pull into a farm gateway. The "point ahead and then
left" gesture seems to convey very well my intention that I'll keep going
until I get to the gateway that I can see ahead, and then I'll pull over.

As a car driver I will occasionally want to drive slower than I sense cars
behind me want to (if I'm looking for an address, or I want to admire the
view) and I will find somewhere to pull over, rather than just driving
slowly and making them wait. I once had a problem with my car (turbo hose
hadn't been properly re-attached by garage, so car was running with no turbo
assistance) which meant my car could only get up to about 40 mph, and slowed
to about 20 on even gentle hills. I drove home very carefully, looking for
pulling-over spots and ready to let normal-speed traffic get past. (I played
merry hell with the garage for returning my car in the state that they did,
after rectifying an early problem. I booked it in for the loss-of-power
problem to be investigated, not relishing the drive there, but something
made me check for loose hoses, and found the hose to the turbo was hanging
off. It took a minute or so to tighten the jubilee clip and normal service
was restored. So I rang to cancel, and reported the problem to the service
manager who gave me my next service or MOT for free. I hadn't realised just
how much a turbo-diesel *needs* the turbo - evidently a normally-aspirated
1.6 is pretty puny!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2021 10:16, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 21:55:37 GMT, JohnP wrote:

Spot on - likewise the "flasher" who waves a car out of a side turn -
oblivious to what is coming the other way. Just wanting a "nice" credit.

There's also people who appear to be waving a pedestrian to cross when
they might be flicking ash off their fag or waving to someone they know.

Well, I don't know how many people do it for that reason (unless they
know them possibly), rather than they just aren't seeing the bigger
picture?

Most altruism is incomprehensible or anti-evolutionary; but there you are.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2021 10:18, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 23:03:11 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

The weekend before last it was a cyclist - who kept waving me past,
despite it being a fairly narrow country road, close to a bend, with no
idea what might be coming the other way.

Is there any chance they could hear there was nothing coming, or see
over the top of stuff?

Should they expect you to believe them?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2021 19:17, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 17:38:30 +0100, charles
wrote:

snip

I think they were saying that one EV was sold for every 37 SUV's and
from their observation, very few were required by their owners for the
characteristics that they offered, so was more a lifestyle choice

some 20 years ago, my daughter had a cartoon from the Telegraph weekend
supplement pinned up in her kitchen. In the female character was saying "I
want my child to have wide open space, security and fresh air. So we've
bought a large 4x4 with aircondtioning and central locking."

;-)

What's new?

More cars and people in the same space?

Bigger cars (and more of them) in the same space.

If we all still drove BMC minis, Hillman imps and Bond bugs the
increased number of cars would be less of a problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 16:57:32 +0100, nightjar wrote:

snip

At a level crossing near me, large gaps in the queue result in the tail
of the queue backing up into a roundabout, eventually blocking traffic
from four other roads that lead into it. Better awareness by some
drivers of the effects their actions are having would help.

This is often an issue when you have anything past a junction or
access where you may have two lanes that merge into one ahead (where
there may be as you say, a railway crossing).

The first car pulls up in the left lane (as the right lane is the one
that disappears).

The next car pulls up behind the first (unless it's a white van / SUV
/ 4X4 / Merc / BMW or Audi etc). ;-)

The third car, if they aren't 'local' (or any of the above) might also
pull up behind the others but now the tail end of this queue is
getting closer to the entrance of a petrol station or a roundabout /
junction etc.

So, the locals know to fill both lanes (alternating) but any non
locals get ****ed off because they see the people coming down the
outside as queue jumping?

It is queue jumping IMHO when you overtake a slowing queue approaching
a well marked (in advanced) roadwork's on a dual carriageway because
the filtering at the pinch point is more difficult for many to manage
than a pre configured single line (especially those who overtake the
entire queue then try to force themselves in last second).

I loved it the other day when the M25 was blocked off and we were all
having to take an exit by the overhead gantries. Those who didn't feel
they should join the end of the queue and carried on down the outside,
hoping to force their way in at the last second were being filtered
off and 'done' by a batch of Policemen (for traveling some distance
past a 'blocked' lane marker). ;-)

Cheers, T i m