Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT - Drivers

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 14:31:38 +0100, GB
wrote:

On 07/04/2021 14:09, JohnP wrote:
Why the F do some drivers leave such a big gap behind the vehicle in front!
Watched a busy junction yesterday - An ambulance was trying to get through
but the junction was blocked - several cars further down there were
massive gaps that, if closed up would have left the junction clear.

Another near me often has cars backing up when the light change - yet in
the distance is someone leaving a 2 car gap in front. Probably the
mentality of "I won't get there any faster if I close up"

So, every time a gap appears, it's his duty to put it into gear, rev up,
and drive forward. Why, in general, is that a good idea?

I fully accept, by the way, that he should do whatever he can to let the
ambulance through.

There have been times when I've 'closed up' to the car in front to
allow more people behind me to get though a junction etc (I'm very
conscious of such things) only to then find I'm trapped behind an
idiot with a load of space in front of them but seemingly unable to
make space for an emergency vehicle trying to get by.

If you leave some space (and I believe we are supposed to) you do have
a bit more flexibility for such things.

Talking of inconsiderate people g, it seems there is a report that
has suggested the SUV's are the top 10 vehicles in the list of most
polluting vehicles used in cities and the owners the least likely to
take them (inc the 4WD ones) off road.

The reason they are so high on the list is that the marketing is the
most aggressive because the profit margins are the greatest.

People don't 'need' these SUVs (in the main and especially in the
inner city) but are made to believe they do by the marketing.

Cheers, T i m