Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT - Drivers

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 16:57:32 +0100, nightjar wrote:

snip

At a level crossing near me, large gaps in the queue result in the tail
of the queue backing up into a roundabout, eventually blocking traffic
from four other roads that lead into it. Better awareness by some
drivers of the effects their actions are having would help.

This is often an issue when you have anything past a junction or
access where you may have two lanes that merge into one ahead (where
there may be as you say, a railway crossing).

The first car pulls up in the left lane (as the right lane is the one
that disappears).

The next car pulls up behind the first (unless it's a white van / SUV
/ 4X4 / Merc / BMW or Audi etc). ;-)

The third car, if they aren't 'local' (or any of the above) might also
pull up behind the others but now the tail end of this queue is
getting closer to the entrance of a petrol station or a roundabout /
junction etc.

So, the locals know to fill both lanes (alternating) but any non
locals get ****ed off because they see the people coming down the
outside as queue jumping?

It is queue jumping IMHO when you overtake a slowing queue approaching
a well marked (in advanced) roadwork's on a dual carriageway because
the filtering at the pinch point is more difficult for many to manage
than a pre configured single line (especially those who overtake the
entire queue then try to force themselves in last second).

I loved it the other day when the M25 was blocked off and we were all
having to take an exit by the overhead gantries. Those who didn't feel
they should join the end of the queue and carried on down the outside,
hoping to force their way in at the last second were being filtered
off and 'done' by a batch of Policemen (for traveling some distance
past a 'blocked' lane marker). ;-)

Cheers, T i m