Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT - Drivers

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 15:44:50 GMT, JohnP wrote:

Tim Streater wrote in
:

On 07 Apr 2021 at 14:09:10 BST, JohnP wrote:

Why the F do some drivers leave such a big gap behind the vehicle in
front! Watched a busy junction yesterday - An ambulance was trying to
get through but the junction was blocked - several cars further down
there were massive gaps that, if closed up would have left the
junction clear.

I take it you mean a gap when they are at rest at lights, not when
driving along? I agree about the gap at the lights, but most people
don't leave a sensible gap between themselves and the vehicle in front
when on the move. I learnt very early on to do that.

Yes - in a static - or crawling queue.

There are several instances of lights / junctions round here that have
a *very* short sequence in some directions and at various times. There
is one right filter where if you aren't really ready and get off
smartly on the green, you might only be one or 3 of a queue of 20 that
get's through each long cycle.

So I've nearly done a PIT Manoeuvre on the car in front as they have
turned right after the lights in an effort to get them to hurry up
getting clear of the junction to give those behind a chance to get
though.

Many people, especially those talking to their passengers or on the
phone seem oblivious of everyone else, especially those behind
suffering the consequences of their selfish actions and have added
another 5 minutes on the journey time to for no justifiable /
unavoidable reason.

In a different vein it also frustrates us when someone at the end of a
string of cars stops to let us cross, rather than carrying on past and
letting us cross in the massive gap behind them and the next batch of
cars (for the extra pollution that causes if nothing else).

Cheers, T i m