Grunff

Default Screwfix Security drivers

Huge wrote:
I know Screwfix sell a set of "security" drivers. Does it include
the Torx-with-a-pin type?

The set I have from Screwfix does.

--
Grunff

John Laird

On 4 Jul 2003 11:44:39 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

I know Screwfix sell a set of "security" drivers. Does it include
the Torx-with-a-pin type?

This one ?

The bits at the back certainly look like tamper-proof Torx. ("Star bits" if
I read their description right.) My mate swears by his local market for
stuff like this, at half the price, mind.

I'm damned if Krup are going to stop me mending a coffee maker, merely
because I can't get the bottom off.

Ah, obviously some technology only understood and maintainable by trained
operatives inside. Intensely annoying, isn't it ?

--
John
Roger Mills

Huge wrote in message
I know Screwfix sell a set of "security" drivers. Does it include
the Torx-with-a-pin type?

I'm damned if Krup are going to stop me mending a coffee maker, merely
because I can't get the bottom off.

I have a Karcher pressure washer which is held together with torx screws -
one or two of which had security tits in the middle. I found it was quite
easy to break off these tits with a spring-loaded centre-punch - and then
use a normal torx driver.

Roger

StealthUK

Those tamper-proof Torx screws are a joke. Rather than making the
screw more secure they make it even easier to open. Just insert a
small bladed screwdriver to one side of the protruding centre and turn
- job done!
Thomas Prufer

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 19:35:45 +0100, Peter Parry
wrote:

Yes - but they are clip on 1/4" or whatever and the shank is too wide
to go in the holes for most recessed screws on small domestic
appliances.

Sometimes grinding a slot in the back of the 1/4" bit with a Dremel
helps. You still need clearance for the bit, but not for the holder:
drop the bit in the screw recess and used a flat screwdriver on the
back end of the bit.

Thomas Prufer

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Huge wrote:
(* Matches the battery pack, then, which is held together with duct
tape. I bought new cells, but they wouldn't fit in the existing case, so
I sawed the case in half ....)

So you were caught out by sub C cells as well?
Wonder just why they decided to make two sizes so close - except to
frustrate?

--
*Be more or less specific *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Mike Ring

"Roger Mills" wrote in
:

I have a Karcher pressure washer which is held together with torx
screws - one or two of which had security tits in the middle. I found
it was quite easy to break off these tits with a spring-loaded
centre-punch - and then use a normal torx driver.

Roger

That's true, but I've usually found they're buried just deep enough to
frustrate that... (b*****s!)

Mike R
BigWallop

wrote:

Yes - but they are clip on 1/4" or whatever and the shank is too wide
to go in the holes for most recessed screws on small domestic
appliances.

Sometimes grinding a slot in the back of the 1/4" bit with a Dremel
helps. You still need clearance for the bit, but not for the holder:
drop the bit in the screw recess and used a flat screwdriver on the
back end of the bit.

Thomas Prufer

You beat me to that suggestion Thomas, in fact all my driver bits have a
slot cut in them with a junior hacksaw for that very same reason. And a
good magnet against your screwdriver doesn't go a miss either on the really
deep recesses.

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com