Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT - Drivers

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 16:03:02 +0100, Algernon Goss-Custard
wrote:

T i m posted

Talking of inconsiderate people g, it seems there is a report that
has suggested the SUV's are the top 10 vehicles in the list of most
polluting vehicles used in cities

Well almost any vehicle is going to be in the top ten of a list of
categories of road vehicle.

Ah, I see you have added an 'in' there. ;-)

There aren't very many categories anyway.

Well, there are a few but I'll give you there aren't millions.

and the owners the least likely to
take them (inc the 4WD ones) off road.

The reason they are so high on the list is that the marketing is the
most aggressive because the profit margins are the greatest.

People don't 'need' these SUVs (in the main and especially in the
inner city) but are made to believe they do by the marketing.

Many city-dwellers have them because they own a second home in the
country, where they often *are* useful whether you go off road or not.

The news report suggested otherwise?

don't go off-road but there's been plenty of times I've been glad of 4WD
mode.

See above.

This was an old report and may have been USA focused (where SUV's may
be bigger than they are here).

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...figures-reveal

The thing I saw on the news was suggesting they will be trying to
lobby the government to get vehicle manufacturers to stop pushing
their best money makers a bit less forcibly

This is closer to what the news item was saying:

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...s-report-urges

I think they were saying that one EV was sold for every 37 SUV's and
from their observation, very few were required by their owners for the
characteristics that they offered, so was more a lifestyle choice and
that in turn was a function of aggressive marketing based on best
profits, at the cost to the environment to all of us.

Now, if you actually *need* the size, weight, space or 4x4 features
then you aren't part of their / our issues.

Cheers, T i m