Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Storing food in tins

In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution? I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution? I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

I'd guess using the tin transfers any bacteria etc on the outside into the
fridge. A clean container less likely to do so.

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2020 11:20, Tim Streater wrote:
On 01 Jun 2020 at 10:23:35 BST, Scott wrote:

In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution? I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

The unopened tin contents will be sterile. The moment the tin is opened, the
decay process starts which produces some acid as a result, which will start
attacking the tin lining. The deay process is slowed by refridgeration, but
not stopped. I dunno what tins are lined with, but I wouldn't want to be
ingesting it, probably. So transfer it, unless you know that the contents will
be used later today or tomorrow.

I seem to recall that tins for naturally acidic stuff such as pineapple are
lined with something else, but I can't remember what. It prolly puts the cost
up slightly. Still, I expect Greg will be along soon to correct me.

some are lined with plastic, some with a metal compound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2020 12:17, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jun 2020 10:23:35 +0100, Scott
wrote:

In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution? I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

Decades ago, tin cans were coated with tin to stop them corroding. Tin
solder was also used to seal the seams, except when it recrystallises
at low, Antarctic temperatures, as the Scott expedition to the South
Pole discovered, to their cost. Most modern tin cans contain no tin.
They are internally coated with resin to stop the contents corroding
the steel.

when Gregg Wallace visited the Heinz vege soup factory in Bolton
I'm sure the employee he was talking to said the metal cans were
tin plated.

Everything you wanted to know about tin cans here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_and_tin_cans
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_pe..._to_Antarctica

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2020 12:59, Max Demian wrote:
On 01/06/2020 10:23, Scott wrote:
In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge.Â* I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin.Â* Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution?Â* I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

I am cautious about leaving the food in the tin, and have several glass
or plastic containers for transfer. I also have some plastic lids called
"Homecare pet food can seal" which I sometimes use. I don't have any
pets, but I don't suppose people would risk their precious mutts and
moggies if it wasn't safe.

Even plastic is not 'safe'. The best containers are made by a NZ
company using plastic that is ?BPA-free. On sale everywhere. My
local Sainsburys has them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
On 01/06/2020 10:23, Scott wrote:
In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution? I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

I am cautious about leaving the food in the tin, and have several glass
or plastic containers for transfer. I also have some plastic lids called
"Homecare pet food can seal" which I sometimes use. I don't have any
pets, but I don't suppose people would risk their precious mutts and
moggies if it wasn't safe.

I suppose if you washed the outside of the can (removing any paper label)
thoroughly before opening it, there would be no more risk of getting
bacteria in your fridge than by using your own container?

--
*Income tax service - We‘ve got what it takes to take what you've got.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
[...]

I thought everyone was submerging their tins in a hot bleach solution
immediately they get home these days ?.

Food poisoning stats are going to be interesting for the lockdown
period, but the disposable BBQ brigade were busy all along the
South Coast on the W/E. Overpowering pong of lighter fuel and
****, where people have relieved themselves.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Scott formulated :
In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

I/we don't bother, we put the opened tin in the fridge, but covered
with one of those plastic tops that comes from those crisps in a tube
(name?).

Some tins are plastic lined, which prevents the contents attacking the
metal lining. I take care to ensure what ever the lining, that the
lining has not been discoloured whilst stored in the fridge -
pineapples seem worst for this. We limit to storing no longer than
three days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2020 10:23, Scott wrote:
In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution? I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

I'd like to know how many people are injured by ring-pull food can tops
compared to traditional blank closures.
Especially sardine tins with ring-pulls, what the hell does PHE make of
them? with oil around and strong finger forces required. I used to keep
back a fairly worn-out butterfly can opener for them, that could
negotiate the 4 small radiuses. For traditional tins of tomatoes/beans
etc cut 95% round the lid and bend outwards and use part contents, bend
the lid inwards for stowing in the fridge till next day. Open lid out
with a fork or something, use the remainder and flip the lid back inside
and putting in the waste stream, all perfectly safe.
If a mouse wanted to get into the council waste-stream and cut itself
then tough tittie.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2020 12:59, Max Demian wrote:
On 01/06/2020 10:23, Scott wrote:
In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge.Â* I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin.Â* Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution?Â* I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

I am cautious about leaving the food in the tin, and have several glass
or plastic containers for transfer. I also have some plastic lids called
"Homecare pet food can seal" which I sometimes use. I don't have any
pets, but I don't suppose people would risk their precious mutts and
moggies if it wasn't safe.

I have found that the can lasts far longer than the food inside once opened.

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2020 15:34, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jun 2020 15:21:50 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

[...]

Funny, I like fish, but get very nervy (guaranteed to make things worse)
opening some tins. Bearing in mind the need to keep the tin fairly level
or you end up spraying fishy-smelling oil/brine everywhere.

There's a brand of tinned "brisling sardine" (aka "sprat" ) from a
company "RIGA" that has a plastic pull off lid that reveals the (hand)
packed fish inside.

As part of the sardine tin filling process seems to be cram in the
sardines and then over-fill with oil, does in deed mean the tin needs to
be absolutely level while opening. Even so oily fingers seems inevitable
with ring-pull device. Butterfly openers of course keep any fingers well
away from those sharp edges and no finger forces involved.
Of course the ring-pull closures are incompatible with butterfly
openers, or at least when ever I've tried this more safety-conscious
opening route.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Jun 2020 15:21:50 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

I'd like to know how many people are injured by ring-pull food can tops
compared to traditional blank closures.

Years ago we were using Felix tinned cat food. They had a competition
going where, if you won, a prize was printed on the inside of the lid.

One day I got all excited because I'd won a plastic fork. Trying to
straighten the lid, I cut my thumb badly. I had to get a friend to drive
me to hospital as I couldn't stop it bleeding without actually holding
it. I think it was four or five stitches; I still have a scar.

The nurse was mightily amused, but not as much as the one who was there
when I told the consultant I'd snapped the tendon in my pinkie while
picking my nose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 14:35:24 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

snip

I thought everyone was submerging their tins in a hot bleach solution
immediately they get home these days ?.

Unless we need something immediately, we just leave them in the bag
out of the way till we do (or for a few days then put them in the
cupboard).

Food poisoning stats are going to be interesting for the lockdown
period,

We often only have half a tin of baked beans between us (along with
other stuff etc) and I generally put a plastic top on the tin and put
it in the fridge. The other day I must have had a senior moment and
put it back in the cupboard. The Mrs found it some time (day/s) later
and put it in the fridge. When I went to use it the next day I noticed
a single small patch of mould about the size of a 5p. It removed it
with a spoon, checked the rest as I put them in a microwave pot and
gave then their normal heating. They tasted fine because they were
fine (of course). ;-)

but the disposable BBQ brigade were busy all along the
South Coast on the W/E. Overpowering pong of lighter fuel and
****, where people have relieved themselves.

Is **** flammable then? ;-)

I get the whole having to make do when outside thing (like when
camping / hiking) but not doing it en-masse like that, especially when
lightweight stoves and cookware are available so cheaply (if you
really have to for one day that is).

In the old days, a day out for us somewhere involved a box of mixed
sarnies, pork pies, sausage rolls, some crisps and fruit and the like
and you were grateful for all / any of it. ;-)

I guess the nearest equiv today would be a 'meal deal' bought near
your destination in the car.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I did a job in Shanghai in the late 1980s. The hotel bar only sold one
type of beer, Heineken in cans. But they seemed to have forgotten to
line them, any more than three meant you woke up the next day with a
metallic-feeling headache. Most odd.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 1 June 2020 16:45:22 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
In the old days, a day out for us somewhere involved a box of mixed
sarnies, pork pies, sausage rolls, some crisps and fruit and the like
and you were grateful for all / any of it. ;-)

Huh.

I was grateful for a fishpaste sandwich that didn't have too much sand in it.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

N_Cook wrote on 01/06/2020 :
Of course the ring-pull closures are incompatible with butterfly openers, or
at least when ever I've tried this more safety-conscious opening route.

If they are tough, I sometimes use a wooden spoon handle through the
ring, so I can pull with my hand, rather than a finger.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:

I did a job in Shanghai in the late 1980s. The hotel bar only sold one
type of beer, Heineken in cans. But they seemed to have forgotten to
line them, any more than three meant you woke up the next day with a
metallic-feeling headache. Most odd.

Um, thats just the €œHeineken effect€. Youll get that with any tinned
****. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott" wrote in message ...

In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution? I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

===

In the old days there were no fridges LOL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 1 June 2020 19:49:22 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
Shippams bloater paste ?

Shippams, yes, but not usually bloater.

I used to work in Chichester and the day they boiled up the fish
stunk out the whole city. Factory is now gentrified and converted to
expensive shops and even more expensive apartments.

I had Aldi chicken paste on my sandwiches the other day; it's another Aldi own-brand which is well below what I'd expect in quality. Haven't had Shippams for years.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2020 19:29, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
N_Cook wrote on 01/06/2020 :
Of course the ring-pull closures are incompatible with butterfly
openers, or at least when ever I've tried this more safety-conscious
opening route.

If they are tough, I sometimes use a wooden spoon handle through the
ring, so I can pull with my hand, rather than a finger.

Its not so much the ringpull as being the problem as the reaction force
of the other hand holding the rim of the tin down ,with fingers only a
few mm away from a very sharpedge, all ok if no oil around and the can
does not slip out of tour grip and then a horrible slicing action of
that edge

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 01/06/2020 12:59, Max Demian wrote:
On 01/06/2020 10:23, Scott wrote:
In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge.Â* I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin.Â* Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution?Â* I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

I am cautious about leaving the food in the tin, and have several glass
or plastic containers for transfer. I also have some plastic lids called
"Homecare pet food can seal" which I sometimes use. I don't have any
pets, but I don't suppose people would risk their precious mutts and
moggies if it wasn't safe.

Then you have a lot to learn about pets.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution? I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

The unopened tin contents will be sterile. The moment the tin is opened,
the
decay process starts which produces some acid as a result, which will
start
attacking the tin lining. The deay process is slowed by refridgeration,
but
not stopped. I dunno what tins are lined with,

That varies. Cans of tomatoes are often painted white.

but I wouldn't want to be ingesting it, probably.

It wouldnt be allowed if it wasnt safe.

So transfer it, unless you know that the contents will
be used later today or tomorrow.

Thats mad.

I seem to recall that tins for naturally acidic stuff such as pineapple
are
lined with something else, but I can't remember what. It prolly puts the
cost
up slightly. Still, I expect Greg will be along soon to correct me.

--
Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 08:35:01 +1000, Jake56, better known as cantankerous

about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
[...]

The best containers are glass. Trivially buyable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 01/06/2020 20:14, Ophelia wrote:

"Scott"Â* wrote in message

In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge.Â* I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin.Â* Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution?Â* I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

===

Â*In the old days there were no fridges LOL

Back then 60s when we didnt have best befores etc the test was if the
the unopened top of a can had `blown` (buldging) then the food had
reacted with the metal, producing gas and was therefore off.
back then we were not so clinical with cooked/uncooked meats blocks of
cheese, no plastic gloves etc and never heard of food poisoning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott" wrote in message

In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution? I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

===

In the old days there were no fridges LOL

Back then 60s when we didnt have best befores etc the test was if the
the unopened top of a can had `blown` (buldging) then the food had
reacted with the metal, producing gas and was therefore off.
back then we were not so clinical with cooked/uncooked meats blocks of
cheese, no plastic gloves etc and never heard of food poisoning.

And lived to tell the tale.
No need then of "petting zoos" and the like to offset ultra-sterile
modern living conditions. Hormesis:- a little of what does you harm,
does you good.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott"Â* wrote in message

[...]

Well in fact they didn't call it food poisoning then, they called it
diarrhoea. Or cholera. Or gastric flu. And everyone had it once or twice
a month. Until refrigerators turned up. And babies died of it.

If you visit places like Mexico or Africa it's the same. You will get
the squits. Badly. Again and again.

And babies die of it over there all the time, in droves. Infant
diarrhoea. Biggest killer outside in et real world.

Herd immunity my arse.

There are people who can remember what it was like before vaccines and
antibiotics and chlorinated water and refrigerators, and there are
people who think it was wonderful.

The first thing a Soweto mum buys when she steals electricity from a
nearby pole, is a refrigerator.
(The second is a TV)

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott"* wrote in message

In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge.* I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin.* Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution?* I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

===

*In the old days there were no fridges LOL

Back then 60s when we didnt have best befores etc the test was if the
the unopened top of a can had `blown` (buldging) then the food had
reacted with the metal, producing gas and was therefore off.
back then we were not so clinical with cooked/uncooked meats blocks of
cheese, no plastic gloves etc and never heard of food poisoning.

I still follow that approach with yoghurt. I always check the lid
first..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 08:48:21 +1000, Jake56, better known as cantankerous

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 1 June 2020 23:45:52 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
And the warm cordial to wash it down.

Oh no! Tea, either Thermos or if we were really lucky, waiting for the kettle to boil on the Camping Gaz mini burner.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I just made up a clip to go over the rim of the end of sardine cans,
ringpull end. Stainless steel strip , ex-rear blanking/closure for
desktop pc expansion card slots. Hammered over a return at one end, to
locate over the can rim and then a bend to be able to hold down the can
onto a table surface, with fingers well away from any of the sharp
edges. I'll give it a test drive this evening.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution? I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

The unopened tin contents will be sterile. The moment the tin is opened,
the
decay process starts which produces some acid as a result, which will
start
attacking the tin lining. The deay process is slowed by refridgeration,
but
not stopped. I dunno what tins are lined with,

tin

that's where the name come from

(though more acidic contents have a layer of plastic)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2020-06-01, Jethro_uk wrote:

[...]

Same here -- I'm more concerned about the mess than injury.

There's a brand of tinned "brisling sardine" (aka "sprat" ) from a
company "RIGA" that has a plastic pull off lid that reveals the (hand)
packed fish inside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2020-06-01, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 01 Jun 2020 15:21:50 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

I'd like to know how many people are injured by ring-pull food can tops
compared to traditional blank closures.

Years ago we were using Felix tinned cat food. They had a competition
going where, if you won, a prize was printed on the inside of the lid.

One day I got all excited because I'd won a plastic fork. Trying to
straighten the lid, I cut my thumb badly. I had to get a friend to drive
me to hospital as I couldn't stop it bleeding without actually holding
it. I think it was four or five stitches; I still have a scar.

The nurse was mightily amused, but not as much as the one who was there
when I told the consultant I'd snapped the tendon in my pinkie while
picking my nose.

That's some tough snot!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott"Â* wrote in message

In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge.Â* I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin.Â* Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution?Â* I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

===

Â*In the old days there were no fridges LOL

Back then 60s when we didnt have best befores etc the test was if the
the unopened top of a can had `blown` (buldging) then the food had
reacted with the metal, producing gas and was therefore off.
back then we were not so clinical with cooked/uncooked meats blocks of
cheese, no plastic gloves etc and never heard of food poisoning.

We were told several times in school in the 1970s that bulging tins
could have botulism & should be thrown away unopened. (I've never
seen one.)