Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default Storing food in tins

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 11:36:13 +0100
critcher wrote:

On 01/06/2020 11:20, Tim Streater wrote:
On 01 Jun 2020 at 10:23:35 BST, Scott
wrote:
In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are
told to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution? I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

The unopened tin contents will be sterile. The moment the tin is
opened, the decay process starts which produces some acid as a
result, which will start attacking the tin lining. The deay process
is slowed by refridgeration, but not stopped. I dunno what tins are
lined with, but I wouldn't want to be ingesting it, probably. So
transfer it, unless you know that the contents will be used later
today or tomorrow.

I seem to recall that tins for naturally acidic stuff such as
pineapple are lined with something else, but I can't remember what.
It prolly puts the cost up slightly. Still, I expect Greg will be
along soon to correct me.

some are lined with plastic, some with a metal compound.

I did a job in Shanghai in the late 1980s. The hotel bar only sold one
type of beer, Heineken in cans. But they seemed to have forgotten to
line them, any more than three meant you woke up the next day with a
metallic-feeling headache. Most odd.

--
Davey.