Jon

Default storing half-used paint tins - any point?

Just been painting my windows, and have a bit of white gloss left.
Basically, if I leave it in a cupboard for at least a few months
(certainly won't want to do any work before then) will it be 'good as
new' or does the stuff get worse over time? It's only a fiver or so's
worth, and as it's brilliant white I could get a matching replacement
no prob, so will only bother storing the stuff if it 'keeps'.

Thanks,

Jon

John

Yes, you have to keep old paint tins for at least two years: it's one of
the Laws of DIY. (Turn the tins upside down, to form an airtight seal.)

You see, if you throw them out -- either now or in 2 years' time -- two
weeks after that you will be faced with a little, small painting job ....

OTOH, if you keep them, that little job will never show up. So you pay
the price of a small amount of storage area, for the benefit of less
painting jobs to be done.

John
ben

Jon wrote:
Just been painting my windows, and have a bit of white gloss left.
Basically, if I leave it in a cupboard for at least a few months
(certainly won't want to do any work before then) will it be 'good as
new' or does the stuff get worse over time? It's only a fiver or so's
worth, and as it's brilliant white I could get a matching replacement
no prob, so will only bother storing the stuff if it 'keeps'.

Thanks,

Jon

Make sure the lid is tight then turn the Tin upside down, this way the skin
forms on the bottom.

Jim Scott

On 15 Jul 2005 02:01:01 -0700, Jon wrote:

Just been painting my windows, and have a bit of white gloss left.
Basically, if I leave it in a cupboard for at least a few months
(certainly won't want to do any work before then) will it be 'good as
new' or does the stuff get worse over time? It's only a fiver or so's
worth, and as it's brilliant white I could get a matching replacement
no prob, so will only bother storing the stuff if it 'keeps'.

Thanks,

Jon

As long as you store it upside-down, it will keep for ages.
Mark it with a waterproof pen to say how much is in it.
Might be useful for the odd chip repair if you are clumsy or have kids or
both. )
--
Jim
Tyneside UK
ben

John wrote:
Yes, you have to keep old paint tins for at least two years: it's one
of the Laws of DIY. (Turn the tins upside down, to form an airtight
seal.)

You see, if you throw them out -- either now or in 2 years' time --
two weeks after that you will be faced with a little, small painting
job ....

OTOH, if you keep them, that little job will never show up. So you
pay the price of a small amount of storage area, for the benefit of
less painting jobs to be done.

John

Heh! how did you manage to get your post before mine? I sent my post and it
was the only answer to the OP 2 minutes before Jim scott.

The only way I can think of is a delay in your server or you turned the
clock back 2 minutes.

Colin

Make sure the lid is tight then turn the Tin upside down, this way the
skin
forms on the bottom.

Careful that the air inside the tin doesn't expand and blow the lid off.
Happened to me in the past... paint everywhere!

Colin

ben

Colin wrote:
Make sure the lid is tight then turn the Tin upside down, this way
the skin
forms on the bottom.

Careful that the air inside the tin doesn't expand and blow the lid
off. Happened to me in the past... paint everywhere!

Colin

Ah! you where a whiter shade of pale. :-)

Jon

Cheers for the replies - will hang onto the gloss, at least, if not the
undercoat (I'm short on storage space atm). You really store these
upside down? Sounds like a good test of the fit on the can lid...

Jon

Chris McBrien

nwoD edispU niT ehT erotS

Is as close as I can get.

x-- 30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion
x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

chris French

In message . com, Jon
writes
Cheers for the replies - will hang onto the gloss, at least, if not the
undercoat (I'm short on storage space atm). You really store these
upside down? Sounds like a good test of the fit on the can lid...

TBH, I don't bother with it, and I've opened tins after a few years and
found them fine.

The reason is supposed to be to stop the skin forming on top of the
paint, but modern paints don't seem to be so susceptible to this.
--
Chris French

chris French

In message , ben
writes
John wrote:
Yes, you have to keep old paint tins for at least two years: it's one
of the Laws of DIY. (Turn the tins upside down, to form an airtight
seal.)

You see, if you throw them out -- either now or in 2 years' time --
two weeks after that you will be faced with a little, small painting
job ....

OTOH, if you keep them, that little job will never show up. So you
pay the price of a small amount of storage area, for the benefit of
less painting jobs to be done.

John

Heh! how did you manage to get your post before mine? I sent my post and it
was the only answer to the OP 2 minutes before Jim scott.

The only way I can think of is a delay in your server or you turned the
clock back 2 minutes.

Transfer of new messages isn't instant. Your messages were posted at
about the same time - according to the message time, johns was 1 second
before yours, though the NNTP server posting time is about 2 minutes
earlier. So it appears in the thread before yours. Messages take time
to travel between servers, sometimes never getting to some servers, and
even when it is sitting on your ISP's server, you probably only check
for new news messages every so often (mine does it every 10 minutes
IIRC)

So you would not have seen johns message until after you had written
yours
--
Chris French

bof

In message , chris French
writes

The reason is supposed to be to stop the skin forming on top of the
paint, but modern paints don't seem to be so susceptible to this.

That tin I was using yesterday must be older than I thought then, had a
wonderful crust.

Yesterday was so hot the paint was skinning up in the tin as I was
painting.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
raden

In message , ben
writes
Colin wrote:
Make sure the lid is tight then turn the Tin upside down, this way
the skin
forms on the bottom.

Careful that the air inside the tin doesn't expand and blow the lid
off. Happened to me in the past... paint everywhere!

Colin

Ah! you where a whiter shade of pale. :-)

And skipped the light fandango when the mrs found out

--
geoff

raden

In message , bof
writes
In message , chris French
writes

The reason is supposed to be to stop the skin forming on top of the
paint, but modern paints don't seem to be so susceptible to this.

That tin I was using yesterday must be older than I thought then, had a
wonderful crust.

Yesterday was so hot the paint was skinning up in the tin as I was
painting.

Is that "Rasta" brand paint ?

--
geoff
Jon

thanks for the suggestions. Will keep the gloss, in the hope that I
don't need to use it for a couple of years Just chucked out (well,
gave away) some varnish, so what's the betting I chip my wardrobe in a
couple of days...

Jon

Mark

raden wrote in message
Yesterday was so hot the paint was skinning up in the tin as I was
painting.

Is that "Rasta" brand paint ?

Often happens with BS 218 Grass Green

-