James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default A couple of Painting questions.

Hiya Folks,
I'm in the process of painting the interior of the house and am about 1/3 of
the way done. I keep running into two
problems that are taking a vast amount of time to correct and I'm hoping the
wisdom of the group might have some
advice to avoid the problems.

1. Where two colors meet on say a corner or wall, I'm taping off the one
color and then painting up to the tape. No
matter how hard I apply the tape, it seems the new color seeps under the
tape and I end up having to take a very small
artist brush and painting the entire line again. I'm using the 3M Blue
painters tape if that means anything. I realize the texture
of the wall is probably causing most of my problems but was hoping someone
might have an idea how to get the tape
to fill all the recesses (the texture really isn't that "deep" if you will).

2. Related to the above problem, I have saltillo tile on the floor and
paint has gotten under the tape there too and has
ended up on the grout. Any suggestions on how to clean this up?

Thanks much,
Cheers,
cc

Mikepier

Use a good quality 2 or 2 1/2 inch brush like Purdy and just take your
time and do the edges. With a little practice, you'll find its easier
than masking off with tape. The key is using a good brush.
As far as the paint on the tile, if your using latex paint just use
water and a little elbow grease.

jeffc

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
1. Where two colors meet on say a corner or wall, I'm taping off the one
color and then painting up to the tape. No
matter how hard I apply the tape, it seems the new color seeps under the
tape and I end up having to take a very small
artist brush and painting the entire line again. I'm using the 3M Blue
painters tape if that means anything. I realize the texture
of the wall is probably causing most of my problems but was hoping someone
might have an idea how to get the tape
to fill all the recesses (the texture really isn't that "deep" if you

will).

Tape is usually a waste of time. Your best course of action is to get a
proper brush and use the proper technique. Since I can't really describe it
in words, I'll have to let you find out some other way. You will not need
tape on inside corners. You especially will not need tape on outside
corners since they are easy and practically paint themselves. For 2 paint
colors on the same flat wall, here's a technique that might help. You must
paint both colors, not just one new color. Let's say you want to paint the
left half of the wall white, and the right half of the wall red. Paint the
left half of the wall white. You should spread over onto the red side a
little. Let the paint dry, and then "cure" for several days. Put the tape
down so the tape is covering part of the white half. Now paint over the
tape line with white paint. You are painting part of the red half with
white paint. This is so that the white paint will seep under the tape, but
it will seep onto the part of the wall that is already white. Wait until
the paint dries. The white paint has now sealed that tape line so no more
paint can get under. Leave the tape there and paint the red half of the
wall. Remove the tape before the paint dries, and voila, clean paint line.

dak

[...]

I'll disagree on the "tape is a waste of time". Try this:

- Paint one wall color. Call this "A".
- Let this dry.
- Place tape on the color you just painted. ("A")
- Here is the trick - Paint the edge of the tape with color "A".
Color "A" will seep under the edge of the tape onto the wall that you
painted "A". It also SEALS the edge of the tape.
- Let this dry.
- NOW paint color "B".
- Remove the tape.

You are left with a razor sharp line. You still have to reasonably
apply the tape, but this really works well. With all due respect to the
steady hand crowd, you can not get this result with a brush.

The downside is that it is a lot of work, and depending on the results
you want, a good brush and a steady hand can do quite a good job.
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Thanks folks. The ideas of painting the tape line with the color you just
covered up
makes a lot of sense! I will be trying that from now on. In the
meantime, I'm probably
ready for bi-focals trying to clean up the current lines I've got.
As for the paint on tile question, the paint is actually on the grout, not
the tile. I figured
a bit of elbow grease would work but was wondering if there might be a
better solvent
to use vs. water.
Thanks for the help!!!!
Cheers,
cc

[...]

Norminn

clipped
artist brush and painting the entire line again. I'm using the 3M Blue
painters tape if that means anything. I realize the texture
of the wall is probably causing most of my problems but was hoping someone
might have an idea how to get the tape
to fill all the recesses (the texture really isn't that "deep" if you will).

Try using a smaller brush, not so heavilly loaded and paint away from
the edge of the tape, not toward it. Take the tape off right away. A
long metal straight edge may work better than tape, but you don't want
to load the brush or drag paint under whatever edge you use.

2. Related to the above problem, I have saltillo tile on the floor and
paint has gotten under the tape there too and has
ended up on the grout. Any suggestions on how to clean this up?

My only paint disaster experience was in helping a neighbor whose
painter had a few too many beers. Formula 409 works nicely on dry but
not cured latex paint. A toothbrush and hot water on the grout might
help. You don't want to spill paint on concrete or grout, as it is
about impossible to get out.

Thanks much,
Cheers,
cc

Norminn

clipped

You are left with a razor sharp line. You still have to reasonably
apply the tape, but this really works well. With all due respect to the
steady hand crowd, you can not get this result with a brush.

I am certain that it is a physical impossibility for some of us to paint
a steady, non-wavy line. Wonder if there is a pill for that? )

The downside is that it is a lot of work, and depending on the results
you want, a good brush and a steady hand can do quite a good job.

Warren Weber

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
news
[...]

Alcohol removes latex very fast. W W

Joseph Meehan

dak wrote:
[...]

Great idea! I will have to try it sometime.

BTW, many people get very frustrated with masking tape. I noticed out
OP did use blue 3M tape, maybe not the best, but it normally works about as
good as any. Basic old tan masking tape is totally worthless.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math