Paul

Default A couple of cylinder plumbing questions.

Hi.

My indirect cylinder leaked through a hole in it's side yesterday. I guess
the 25 year manufacterers guarantee has just run out. The good news is my
dad had a spare ! after going for a combi sytem and it was never fitted. Two
questions if anybody can help:
How do you fit the immersion heater. It has a large washer/gasket. Is that
sufficient on it's own, with a smear of boss white maybe. Or should I use
some PTFE in what looks like a rather shallow number of threads. Or both. Or
something completely different?
I'm reusing the 1 inch brass elbows off the old cylinder for the coil. Is
it ok to use PTFE on such a large joint or should I find some hemp to go
with my Boss White? Not the sort of thing you see in Wickes. If that's the
case how much hemp would you use. Sorry that's three.

Thanks

Paul.

Mike

"Paul" wrote in message
How do you fit the immersion heater. It has a large washer/gasket. Is that
sufficient on it's own, with a smear of boss white maybe.

PTFE or Boss White is needed. As usually is the correct spanner to tighten
it properly.

I'm reusing the 1 inch brass elbows off the old cylinder for the coil.

Clean the threads meticuously (sp?) as the inserts on the cylinders seem to
be softer than they need be. I used PTFE and Boss White.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Paul wrote:
My indirect cylinder leaked through a hole in it's side yesterday. I
guess the 25 year manufacterers guarantee has just run out. The good
news is my dad had a spare ! after going for a combi sytem and it was
never fitted. Two questions if anybody can help: How do you fit the
immersion heater. It has a large washer/gasket. Is that sufficient on
it's own, with a smear of boss white maybe. Or should I use some PTFE in
what looks like a rather shallow number of threads. Or both. Or
something completely different? I'm reusing the 1 inch brass elbows off
the old cylinder for the coil. Is it ok to use PTFE on such a large
joint or should I find some hemp to go with my Boss White? Not the sort
of thing you see in Wickes. If that's the case how much hemp would you
use. Sorry that's three.

Fernox do a tube of silicone sealant that is brilliant for all things
plumbing - sticks to pretty well anything. Not cheap, but easier than
faffing about with hemp, etc.

--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Stephen Dawson

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Paul wrote:
[...]

I would not use fernow on an immersin, it is a pig wohen you have to change
it again. The best way imo is to use a combination of ptfe and boss white.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Stephen Dawson wrote:
I would not use fernow on an immersin, it is a pig wohen you have to
change it again. The best way imo is to use a combination of ptfe and
boss white.

With Fernox, you don't have to tighten it till it groans. Now I've not
used it on an immersion, but on an 'ordinary' joint it didn't seem anymore
difficult to undo than normal.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Trevor Smith

Stephen Dawson wrote:
I would not use fernow on an immersin, it is a pig wohen you have to
change it again. The best way imo is to use a combination of ptfe and
boss white.

With Fernox, you don't have to tighten it till it groans. Now I've not
used it on an immersion, but on an 'ordinary' joint it didn't seem anymore
difficult to undo than normal.

It's called LS-X and it's wonderfull stuff and as Dave just said it's not
difficult to seperate after it has set. It has so many other uses, I put
some on a hole in the headlight lens on the car and it stopped he wet
getting in and passed 2 MOT's
Trevor Smith
--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Pete C

Stephen Dawson wrote:
I would not use fernow on an immersin, it is a pig wohen you have to
change it again. The best way imo is to use a combination of ptfe and
boss white.

With Fernox, you don't have to tighten it till it groans. Now I've not
used it on an immersion, but on an 'ordinary' joint it didn't seem anymore
difficult to undo than normal.

It's called LS-X and it's wonderfull stuff and as Dave just said it's not
difficult to seperate after it has set. It has so many other uses, I put
some on a hole in the headlight lens on the car and it stopped he wet
getting in and passed 2 MOT's

Agreed, also used it to make a washing machine hose 'O' ring, it
actually stays fairly soft when it's set.

cheers,
Pete.
Paul

Stephen Dawson wrote:
I would not use fernow on an immersin, it is a pig wohen you have to
change it again. The best way imo is to use a combination of ptfe and
boss white.

With Fernox, you don't have to tighten it till it groans. Now I've not
used it on an immersion, but on an 'ordinary' joint it didn't seem

anymore
difficult to undo than normal.

It's called LS-X and it's wonderfull stuff and as Dave just said it's not
difficult to seperate after it has set. It has so many other uses, I put
some on a hole in the headlight lens on the car and it stopped he wet
getting in and passed 2 MOT's

Agreed, also used it to make a washing machine hose 'O' ring, it
actually stays fairly soft when it's set.

cheers,
Pete.

Thanks everyone. So there's some stuff out there I'd never even heard of and
sounds just short of a Ghia,. mmm.

Paul.

mike ring

With Fernox, you don't have to tighten it till it groans. Now I've not
used it on an immersion, but on an 'ordinary' joint it didn't seem
anymore difficult to undo than normal.

I've used it on an immersion - it's fine.

might not even need a proper spanner, like you said, you don't have to
muller it down.

(I haven't got a proper spanner)

mike
Paul

"mike ring" wrote in message
. 1.4...

With Fernox, you don't have to tighten it till it groans. Now I've not
used it on an immersion, but on an 'ordinary' joint it didn't seem
anymore difficult to undo than normal.

I've used it on an immersion - it's fine.

might not even need a proper spanner, like you said, you don't have to
muller it down.

(I haven't got a proper spanner)

mike

Just to let you know that I fitted the replacement cylinder over the
weekend. I used the LS-X for both the immersion heater ( no problem as it
also tightens down on a gasket, so there's a feeling of solidness about the
joint. Also on two 1 inch copper elbows for the coil. (Most disconcerting as
they don't tighten down onto anything to point them the right way and you
feel like you've left a loose fitting.) Anyway after adding some extra pipe
clips, for better support just in case, all is well. Thanks, Paul.

Doctor Evil

"Paul" wrote in message

"mike ring" wrote in message
. 1.4...

[...]

It appears you are using two parallel threads. There are proper cylinder
connectors available. I hope your joints hold out.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Couple of plumbing related question Paul A Brown UK diy 7 September 12th 04 08:55 PM
Hot Water Cylinder Chris UK diy 1 November 3rd 03 06:00 PM
very dumb first attempt at plumbing questions fireblade UK diy 10 July 25th 03 10:03 PM