Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Storing food in tins

On 01/06/2020 20:14, Ophelia wrote:

"Scott"Â* wrote in message

In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge.Â* I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin.Â* Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution?Â* I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

===

Â*In the old days there were no fridges LOL

Back then 60s when we didnt have best befores etc the test was if the
the unopened top of a can had `blown` (buldging) then the food had
reacted with the metal, producing gas and was therefore off.
back then we were not so clinical with cooked/uncooked meats blocks of
cheese, no plastic gloves etc and never heard of food poisoning.