Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why does replacing food stamps with food so anger liberals?

On 02/13/2018 06:15 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 12:51:26 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/13/2018 11:35 AM,
wrote:
It was referred to as government cheese but the reality was just about
every subsidized government food was distributed. My grandfather was a
SS recipient (not on food stamps) and actually knew what to do with
flour, honey, powdered milk, corn meal and of course cheese. I think
there was other stuff there too depending on what USDA was buying from
farmers at the time to prop up prices.

Peanut butter and powdered eggs... I never was on welfare but knew
people who were and there was a certain amount of in kind bartering. The
peanut butter wasn't bad but it wasn't Skippy. It probably was closer to
real natural peanut butter that often gets a premium price today. The
powdered eggs were edible if you like scrambled eggs.

As you say, it does require the ability to cook real food rather than
open cans of Spaghetti-Os and Vienna Sausages.

I remembered after my post that the other things were rice and some
kind of dried beans.

That was supper tonight -- great northern beans. It takes an advanced
degree in chemistry to boil them for a couple of hours with an onion, a
little dry mustard, and some molasses.

Rice, vegetables, and whole grains make up the bulk of my died, with a
little fish occasionally. Other than diced tomatoes and sardines, not
too much comes in a can. I could live quite well on surplus food.