Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ophelia[_7_] Ophelia[_7_] is offline

Default Storing food in tins

"ss" wrote in message ...

On 01/06/2020 20:14, Ophelia wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message

In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution? I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

===

In the old days there were no fridges LOL

Back then 60s when we didnt have best befores etc the test was if the
the unopened top of a can had `blown` (buldging) then the food had
reacted with the metal, producing gas and was therefore off.
back then we were not so clinical with cooked/uncooked meats blocks of
cheese, no plastic gloves etc and never heard of food poisoning.

====

it was indeed!