Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Storing food in tins

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 14:35:24 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

snip

I thought everyone was submerging their tins in a hot bleach solution
immediately they get home these days ?.

Unless we need something immediately, we just leave them in the bag
out of the way till we do (or for a few days then put them in the
cupboard).

Food poisoning stats are going to be interesting for the lockdown
period,

We often only have half a tin of baked beans between us (along with
other stuff etc) and I generally put a plastic top on the tin and put
it in the fridge. The other day I must have had a senior moment and
put it back in the cupboard. The Mrs found it some time (day/s) later
and put it in the fridge. When I went to use it the next day I noticed
a single small patch of mould about the size of a 5p. It removed it
with a spoon, checked the rest as I put them in a microwave pot and
gave then their normal heating. They tasted fine because they were
fine (of course). ;-)

but the disposable BBQ brigade were busy all along the
South Coast on the W/E. Overpowering pong of lighter fuel and
****, where people have relieved themselves.

Is **** flammable then? ;-)

I get the whole having to make do when outside thing (like when
camping / hiking) but not doing it en-masse like that, especially when
lightweight stoves and cookware are available so cheaply (if you
really have to for one day that is).

In the old days, a day out for us somewhere involved a box of mixed
sarnies, pork pies, sausage rolls, some crisps and fruit and the like
and you were grateful for all / any of it. ;-)

I guess the nearest equiv today would be a 'meal deal' bought near
your destination in the car.

Cheers, T i m