Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default Storing food in tins

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
On 01 Jun 2020 at 10:23:35 BST, Scott
wrote:

In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution? I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

The unopened tin contents will be sterile. The moment the tin is opened,
the
decay process starts which produces some acid as a result, which will
start
attacking the tin lining. The deay process is slowed by refridgeration,
but
not stopped. I dunno what tins are lined with,

tin

that's where the name come from

(though more acidic contents have a layer of plastic)