Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Storing food in tins

On 01/06/2020 12:59, Max Demian wrote:
On 01/06/2020 10:23, Scott wrote:
In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge.Â* I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin.Â* Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution?Â* I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

I am cautious about leaving the food in the tin, and have several glass
or plastic containers for transfer. I also have some plastic lids called
"Homecare pet food can seal" which I sometimes use. I don't have any
pets, but I don't suppose people would risk their precious mutts and
moggies if it wasn't safe.

Even plastic is not 'safe'. The best containers are made by a NZ
company using plastic that is ?BPA-free. On sale everywhere. My
local Sainsburys has them.