Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default Storing food in tins

On 2020-06-01, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Mon, 01 Jun 2020 15:21:50 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

On 01/06/2020 10:23, Scott wrote:
In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think you
could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are told to
transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution? I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top not
were the food is.

I'd like to know how many people are injured by ring-pull food can tops
compared to traditional blank closures.
Especially sardine tins with ring-pulls, what the hell does PHE make of
them? with oil around and strong finger forces required. I used to keep
back a fairly worn-out butterfly can opener for them, that could
negotiate the 4 small radiuses. For traditional tins of tomatoes/beans
etc cut 95% round the lid and bend outwards and use part contents, bend
the lid inwards for stowing in the fridge till next day. Open lid out
with a fork or something, use the remainder and flip the lid back inside
and putting in the waste stream, all perfectly safe.
If a mouse wanted to get into the council waste-stream and cut itself
then tough tittie.

Funny, I like fish, but get very nervy (guaranteed to make things worse)
opening some tins. Bearing in mind the need to keep the tin fairly level
or you end up spraying fishy-smelling oil/brine everywhere.

Same here -- I'm more concerned about the mess than injury.

There's a brand of tinned "brisling sardine" (aka "sprat" ) from a
company "RIGA" that has a plastic pull off lid that reveals the (hand)
packed fish inside.