Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Storing food in tins

On 02/06/2020 10:40, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 08:48:21 +1000, Jake56 wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 01/06/2020 12:59, Max Demian wrote:
On 01/06/2020 10:23, Scott wrote:
In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution? I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

I am cautious about leaving the food in the tin, and have several
glass or plastic containers for transfer. I also have some plastic
lids called "Homecare pet food can seal" which I sometimes use. I
don't have any pets, but I don't suppose people would risk their
precious mutts and moggies if it wasn't safe.

Even plastic is not 'safe'. The best containers are made by a NZ
company using plastic that is ?BPA-free. On sale everywhere. My local
Sainsburys has them.

The best containers are glass. Trivially buyable.

And with hundreds of years usage under their belts.

Started in 1792 by Jeremy Clarksons great-great-great grandfather,
according to BBC 'who do you think you are'. A later relative
inherited the business and bankrupted it.

We've moved towards using kilner jars for a lot of stuff - getting rid of
the crappy plastic containers which simply don't last.

The design of the sealing mechanism on kilner jars - not wearing out any
flimsy plastic seams and with replaceable seals - is a work of genius.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2020 00:18, ss wrote:
On 01/06/2020 20:14, Ophelia wrote:

"Scott"Â* wrote in message

In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge.Â* I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin.Â* Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution?Â* I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

===

Â*Â*In the old days there were no fridges LOL

Back then 60s when we didnt have best befores etc the test was if the
the unopened top of a can had `blown` (buldging) then the food had
reacted with the metal, producing gas and was therefore off.
back then we were not so clinical with cooked/uncooked meats blocks of
cheese, no plastic gloves etc and never heard of food poisoning.

No soshal media and never reported in the local papers, I suspect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2020 08:11, harry wrote:
On Monday, 1 June 2020 15:09:37 UTC+1, wrote:
It happens that Scott formulated :
In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

I/we don't bother, we put the opened tin in the fridge, but covered
with one of those plastic tops that comes from those crisps in a tube
(name?).

Pringles.

A little too big for the "standard" tin, e.g. baked beans or chopped
tomatoes.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
On 02/06/2020 08:11, harry wrote:
On Monday, 1 June 2020 15:09:37 UTC+1, wrote:
It happens that Scott formulated :
In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

I/we don't bother, we put the opened tin in the fridge, but covered
with one of those plastic tops that comes from those crisps in a tube
(name?).

Pringles.

A little too big for the "standard" tin, e.g. baked beans or chopped
tomatoes.

the plastic lids for dog food were the right size/

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2020 15:21, N_Cook wrote:

snipped

I'd like to know how many people are injured by ring-pull food can tops
compared to traditional blank closures.

This is why you should always buy fish in a tomato sauce, that way the
blood doesn't show.

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott" wrote in message

In the old days we used to keep opened tins in the fridge. I think
you could even buy a plastic lid to fit on the tin. Now we are told
to transfer the contents to another container.

Has the construction of tins changed, or is this another example of
excess caution? I have never known a tin to start rusting in the
timescale involved and even if it did, the rust would be at the top
not were the food is.

===

In the old days there were no fridges LOL

Back then 60s when we didnt have best befores etc the test was if the the
unopened top of a can had `blown` (buldging) then the food had reacted
with the metal, producing gas and was therefore off.
back then we were not so clinical with cooked/uncooked meats blocks of
cheese, no plastic gloves etc and never heard of food poisoning.

We had no fridge, just a larder with, nominally, a wire grid over the
(small)
outside window to keep insects out. Of course it didn't and for some reason
the idea of covering food didn't occur to people. As a result, I have no
recollection of getting any of the usual childhood illnesses (e.g. measles),
but I do recall during the first 10 years of life a regular occurrence of
vomitting. Probably due to very poor food hygiene.

Tim

===

Just the same for my family

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2020 16:31, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 01/06/2020 15:21, N_Cook wrote:

snipped

I'd like to know how many people are injured by ring-pull food can
tops compared to traditional blank closures.

This is why you should always buy fish in a tomato sauce, that way the
blood doesn't show.

Glenryck pilchards.

Used to feed the cat on them when I was a kid because they were
cheap.

Now not so cheap, but I eat them now with a salad or on toast.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott"Â* wrote in message

[...]

Â* Just the same for my family

when I started in building control on 1974 we had to ask for larder
vents in new houses or a north facing window ....and a daylighting
window in a kitchen ....sounds so old fashioned these days....

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott" wrote in message

[...]

Sound just the same as my family's house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott"Â* wrote in message

[...]

Â*Â* Just the same for my family

when I started in building control on 1974 we had to ask for larder
vents in new houses or a north facing window ....and a daylighting
window in a kitchen ....sounds so old fashioned these days....

===

Â* Sound just the same as my family's house.

the good old days

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott" wrote in message

[...]

====

LOL you could say that)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Jun 2020 17:43:04 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 01 Jun 2020 15:21:50 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

I'd like to know how many people are injured by ring-pull food can tops
compared to traditional blank closures.

If you have arthritis in your finger joints, it can be very painful to
try and open a ring-pull can.

The Mrs suffers from that sometimes (depending on the lid).

I have a thing that looks a bit like an
enormous fish-hook, without the barb, for levering them open. I got it
originally for my wife to use, because with her Parkinson's she didn't
have enough strength in her hands to open a ring-pull can directly,
but I use it now. One of these https://tinyurl.com/y85gdq8k

I'm going to get the 3D printer out tomorrow (anyway) and something
like that might be handy. ;-)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2532454

I am lucky to have fairly good / strong fingers (open beer cans one
handed etc) but you do get the odd tough one, although I usually also
have the Leatherman on me so ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott" wrote in message

[...]

Don't bring that up again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott"Â* wrote in message

[...]

Â*Â* Sound just the same as my family's house.

the good old days

====

Â*LOL you could say that)

I did ...tee hee

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott" wrote in message

[...]

tee hee

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott" wrote in message

[...]

LOL since I didn't post that anyway .... )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott" wrote in message

[...]

Oi! That was no me!!!