Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi, the German discounter

Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store? I've never seen "discounted" goods in their stores, and they don't try and bamboozle you with BOGOF deals, loyalty cards and all that rubbish. In fact that's probably why they're so successful. That and applying commonsense to their strategy.
The late Andy Hall must be turning in his grave, having predicted that the Lidl/Aldi style of retailing would never catch on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 09:50:30 UTC, stuart noble wrote:

Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store? I've never seen "discounted" goods in their stores, and they don't try and bamboozle you with BOGOF deals, loyalty cards and all that rubbish. In fact that's probably why they're so successful. That and applying commonsense to their strategy.
The late Andy Hall must be turning in his grave, having predicted that the Lidl/Aldi style of retailing would never catch on.

One thing puzzles me about them: why no self-service checkouts? They are cheaper.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store?

because its MO is to sell exclusively no-name "discount" products.

Which is what in Germany is exactly what it does

but here, the UK obsession with "brands" means that they have to stock some
of them

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2018 10:39, tim... wrote:

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store?

because its MO is to sell exclusively no-name "discount" products.

Which is what in Germany is exactly what it does

but here, the UK obsession with "brands" means that they have to stock
some of them

tim

Because it would slow things down, their tills operate at the speed of
light, and with the queues they need to!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
On 04/01/2018 10:39, tim... wrote:

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store?

because its MO is to sell exclusively no-name "discount" products.

Which is what in Germany is exactly what it does

but here, the UK obsession with "brands" means that they have to stock
some of them

tim

Because it would slow things down, their tills operate at the speed of
light, and with the queues they need to!

They were the first to have barcodes and scanners that worked, Their
barcodes were bigger and longer, things just flew through with no
mistakes while other retailers were having to manually enter numbers all
the time, now the other retailers have caught up,probably the suppliers
gave others the same size barcodes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 10:40:09 UTC, tim... wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in message
Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store?

because its MO is to sell exclusively no-name "discount" products.

Which is what in Germany is exactly what it does

but here, the UK obsession with "brands" means that they have to stock some
of them.

I went to aldi to get some bisto but they didn;t have any, only their own brand so I left and went to the local corner shop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2018 11:18, Huge wrote:

Another reason not to go there, then. What's the point if the checkout
operators go faster than you can pack?
#

That's ok - the type of service you expect ****es off a lot of shoppers
in these stores.when delaying the checkout process.

You are not meant to pack at the checkout - you put the items back in
the trolley and then pack at the shelf area set aside for the purpose.

I suspect as it reduces staff costs because they need fewer staff that
other supermarkets will soon start adopting the same policies in order
to become more completive. Aldi/Lidl have proved that shoppers are more
than prepared to accept fast checkouts, no loyalty cards, no delays when
handing out useless bits of paper to support schools etc. Judging by the
number of expensive cars in Alsi/Lidl car parks these days its not only
the "poor" that use these stores.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

stuart noble wrote:

The late Andy Hall must be turning in his grave, having predicted
that the Lidl/Aldi style of retailing would never catch on.

One thing puzzles me about them: why no self-service checkouts? They are cheaper.

A newer LiDL here has them, they're just an annoying as other
supermarkets' self-checkouts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

The best tills I;ve seen are those where you have a seprators so if someone is slow at picking up their staff then you juts sent the next customers stuff to the other side.

Sainsbury's seemed to give up on those by the late 70's ... and the
automatic coin dispensing chutes for your change.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
news
On 04/01/2018 10:39, tim... wrote:

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store?

because its MO is to sell exclusively no-name "discount" products.

Which is what in Germany is exactly what it does

but here, the UK obsession with "brands" means that they have to stock
some of them

tim

Because it would slow things down, their tills operate at the speed of
light, and with the queues they need to!

though that system only works if the shoppers are all trained to put the
stuff back into the trolley and pack their bags at the rear counter

now all the the yummy mummies have started to see shopping in Aldi as
acceptable, that system is broken

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-01-04, Broadback wrote:
On 04/01/2018 10:39, tim... wrote:

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store?

because its MO is to sell exclusively no-name "discount" products.

Which is what in Germany is exactly what it does

but here, the UK obsession with "brands" means that they have to stock
some of them

tim

Because it would slow things down, their tills operate at the speed of
light,

Another reason not to go there, then. What's the point if the checkout
operators go faster than you can pack?

if you want to pay for someone to pack your bags

shop in Waitrose

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

FMurtz wrote:

They were the first to have barcodes and scanners that worked, Their
barcodes were bigger and longer, things just flew through with no
mistakes while other retailers were having to manually enter numbers all
the time, now the other retailers have caught up,probably the suppliers
gave others the same size barcodes.

I notice the latest generation of self-scan tills being re-fitted into
most supermarkets now are much better at scanning at wonky angles and at
decent speed of swiping, also they aren't powered by a lame hamster,
they still have XP though when you see them getting rebooted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 02:18:28 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 09:50:30 UTC, stuart noble wrote:

Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store? I've never
seen "discounted" goods in their stores, and they don't try and
bamboozle you with BOGOF deals, loyalty cards and all that rubbish. In
fact that's probably why they're so successful. That and applying
commonsense to their strategy.
The late Andy Hall must be turning in his grave, having predicted that
the Lidl/Aldi style of retailing would never catch on.

One thing puzzles me about them: why no self-service checkouts? They are
cheaper.

But not quick, thus typing up more space.

Given that *all* Aldi staff (including managers) are expected to pitch in
and run checkouts as necessary, and that you are expected to pack
*afterwards* and not at the checkout, they make pretty efficient use of
space. If the checkouts are quiet, the staff are redeployed to other
tasks. They are basically trained to do everything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
tabbypurr wrote:

stuart noble wrote:

The late Andy Hall must be turning in his grave, having predicted
that the Lidl/Aldi style of retailing would never catch on.

One thing puzzles me about them: why no self-service checkouts? They are
cheaper.

A newer LiDL here has them, they're just an annoying as other
supermarkets' self-checkouts

why would they not be?

FWIW, my local Pound Shop has them

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 03:49:09 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 11:36:32 UTC, charles wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 04/01/2018 10:18, wrote:

One thing puzzles me about them: why no self-service checkouts?
They are cheaper.

Are they? Possibly only in stores where the check-out staff are so
inefficient. When I use Tesco/Sainsbury/Asda I find their checkout so
slow compared to the no nonsense approach of my local Aldi/Lidl.

Possibly, one reason is that the staff at Lidl/Aldi tend to be foreign
and don't have enough english to indulge in conversation. But you
still get the customer who has to wonder where they've put their purse
- this tends to slow things.

Thye biggest slowdown I:ve foind is the small amount of packing space
that you get at the end of the till, hardly enough space for one bag.
The best tills I;ve seen are those where you have a seprators so if
someone is slow at picking up their staff then you juts sent the next
customers stuff to the other side.

Because you're meant to put it back in the trolley and then pack at your
leisure.

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Self-scan and self-checkout (which is theoretically possible in Tesco)
would be awesome, except that you can't buy alcohol that way because
a member of staff has to check that you're over 18

You can't even buy alcohol-free beer which all claim to be less than
0.1% on the label, despite (IIRC) it being legal for people of all ages
to buy shandy type drinks with up to 0.5% alcohol.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

We've only been in the local Aldi once, in search of decaf coffee,
which they didn't have, so we left. There isn't a local Lidl.

You saved yourself from some horrid coffee.

I share ground coffee and an aeropress with a chap at one of my
customers, I know he tends to shop at lidaldi, my opinion is that I'm
going to the hassle of fresh coffee because I want *nice* coffee, once
he decided to buy some 'Belarom' coffee, after one taste it went in the
bin, even he described it as floor sweepings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 04/01/2018 10:18, wrote:

[...]

A deeply **** idea.

I actually like it, because I get the chance to sort it all out as I want.

Sometimes I need to separate out particular purchases into separate bags;
much easier in my own time. And given that (apart from the thick mummies)
most people pack that way, the checkouts run really fast.

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

Huge wrote:

Self-scan and self-checkout (which is theoretically possible in Tesco)

Don't know what you mean by "theoretically possible".

I gave up on the self-scan gadgets, as I found I went in late at night,
then arrived at the tills to find they'd closed the self-scan station,
and wanted me to queue at the one or two manned tills to get everything
re-scanned, didn't do my blood pressure any good storming out leaving
the full basket on the floor.

Well obviously they're going to do a shoplifting check from time to
time. Surprised you even bothered to ask. Although your hit rate does
sound a bit high.

Sainsbury's seem to be taking the different types of tills too far now,
they have operator tills, basket-only operator tills, tills for
self-scanning at the checkout, tills for self-scanning with the
hand-held devices, and now tills for self-scanning using your own mobile
phone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2018 11:44, alan_m wrote:
On 04/01/2018 11:18, Huge wrote:

Another reason not to go there, then. What's the point if the checkout
operators go faster than you can pack?
#

That's ok - the type of service you expect ****es off a lot of shoppers
in these stores.when delaying the checkout process.

You are not meant to pack at the checkout - you put the items back in
the trolley and then pack at the shelf area set aside for the purpose.

Which is fine in theory, except you are now lifting stuff in and out of
the trolley twice.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble writes:
Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store? I've never seen "=
discounted" goods in their stores, and they don't try and bamboozle you wit=
h BOGOF deals, loyalty cards and all that rubbish. In fact that's probably =
why they're so successful. That and applying commonsense to their strategy.=

I think the idea is they only sell discounted products, so generally
there are no bogoffs, or further special reductions. Consequently,
they don't sell premium brands (e.g. you probably won't find Kelloggs
Corn Flakes), and usually have an own brand with similar packaging.

I mainly use them for browsing their limited time hardware products,
and because it's a nice stretch bicycle ride there and back. I do
try food from there occasionally, but I can tell the difference
between theirs and my local Waitrose, even if many people apparently
can't. There are one or two food things they have which I buy
regularly. They have no fast checkouts - if I go in and there are
significant checkout queues (and most people have full trollies),
I do a U-turn and exit immediately. They should probably get that
fixed.

Just mentioned on Radio 4, Aldi are planning to open several hundred
new stores by 2020, mainly in the South East where they are apparently
under-represented, and because their customer base is becoming higher
class, i.e. not just stealing Asda, Tesco, and Sainsbury customers,
this Christmas probably saw them taking share from Waitrose and M&S
too (not all figures are available yet - will be in a few weeks).
Apparently their hardware/clothing/household section stole significant
trade from Debenhams this Christmas too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 04/01/2018 10:18, wrote:

[...]

I don]t use a trolly I use a basket as most people do and those that do use a trolly there's not enough space on the counter to empty the trolly so you actually need two trollys which take up far to much room.

I must admit that I;ve never noticed anyone queuing with theri shopping on the belt and carrying an empty basket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 04/01/2018 10:18, wrote:

[...]

I can still do that while in the queue, I put the large items at the front so they get scanned first, so get to put them in the bag first.

Sometimes I need to separate out particular purchases into separate bags;

I rarely need to do that except for weight distribution or frozen stuff, but I can stil do this while in the queue and having two carrier bags at the bottom of a sainsbury till is doable.

much easier in my own time. And given that (apart from the thick mummies)
most people pack that way, the checkouts run really fast.

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 2018-01-04, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

The best tills I;ve seen are those where you have a seprators so if someone is slow at picking up their staff then you juts sent the next customers stuff to the other side.

Sainsbury's seemed to give up on those by the late 70's ... and the
automatic coin dispensing chutes for your change.

Does anyone pay with cash any more?

only plebs?
Hence all the new banknotes...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 2018-01-04, Andy Burns wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

stuart noble wrote:

The late Andy Hall must be turning in his grave, having predicted
that the Lidl/Aldi style of retailing would never catch on.

One thing puzzles me about them: why no self-service checkouts? They are cheaper.

A newer LiDL here has them, they're just an annoying as other
supermarkets' self-checkouts

Self-scan and self-checkout (which is theoretically possible in Tesco)
would be awesome, except that you can't buy alcohol that way because
a member of staff has to check that you're over 18 (something that
Tesco already know, because you have to register for a Club Card to
use self-scan) and of the first 5 times we used it, we were "selected"
for a shoplifting check (*) four times.

(* The fact that it was to check for shoplifting was strenuously,
spuriously and rudely denied by a member of the supervisory staff.)

Sounds like there's a marker on your account for something or
other.... :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 04/01/2018 11:18, Huge wrote:

Another reason not to go there, then. What's the point if the checkout
operators go faster than you can pack?
#

That's ok - the type of service you expect ****es off a lot of shoppers
in these stores.when delaying the checkout process.

You are not meant to pack at the checkout - you put the items back in
the trolley and then pack at the shelf area set aside for the purpose.

Which is fine in theory, except you are now lifting stuff in and out of
the trolley twice.

"in your own good time" rather than all others' following....

Shurely if you only have a basket full you have to pack in real
time as there's no basket to put the stuff back in (as you've
left it at the start of the conveyor in the stack)?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Thursday, 4 January 2018 10:40:09 UTC, tim... wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in message
Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store?

because its MO is to sell exclusively no-name "discount" products.

Which is what in Germany is exactly what it does

but here, the UK obsession with "brands" means that they have to stock some
of them.

I went to aldi to get some bisto but they didn;t have any, only their own brand so I left and went to the local corner shop.

Bisto sends hugs.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-01-04, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

The best tills I;ve seen are those where you have a seprators so if someone is slow at picking up their staff then you juts sent the next customers stuff to the other side.

Sainsbury's seemed to give up on those by the late 70's ... and the
automatic coin dispensing chutes for your change.

Does anyone pay with cash any more?

only plebs?
Hence all the new banknotes...
--
Jim K

I still use both methods, but cards are prefered by the shops as people keep less track on what they are spending.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/4/2018 9:50 AM, stuart noble wrote:
Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store? I've never seen "discounted" goods in their stores, and they don't try and bamboozle you with BOGOF deals, loyalty cards and all that rubbish. In fact that's probably why they're so successful. That and applying common sense to their strategy.
The late Andy Hall must be turning in his grave, having predicted that the Lidl/Aldi style of retailing would never catch on.

just look and only buy the RED items if you want discount......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-01-04, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

The best tills I;ve seen are those where you have a seprators so if someone is slow at picking up their staff then you juts sent the next customers stuff to the other side.

Sainsbury's seemed to give up on those by the late 70's ... and the
automatic coin dispensing chutes for your change.

Does anyone pay with cash any more?

only plebs?
Hence all the new banknotes...

us plebs try to avoid the gov ripping us off......

--
Follow my lead...ignore Brian Reay ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 04/01/2018 10:18, wrote:

[...]

The stores I use have a conveyor belt which will take the contents of two
trolleys.

I must admit that I;ve never noticed anyone queuing with theri shopping
on the belt and carrying an empty basket.

No, you place the basket in the pile at the end of the belt.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England