Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi, the German discounter

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 09:50:30 UTC, stuart noble wrote:

Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store? I've never seen "discounted" goods in their stores, and they don't try and bamboozle you with BOGOF deals, loyalty cards and all that rubbish. In fact that's probably why they're so successful. That and applying commonsense to their strategy.
The late Andy Hall must be turning in his grave, having predicted that the Lidl/Aldi style of retailing would never catch on.

One thing puzzles me about them: why no self-service checkouts? They are cheaper.

NT