Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi, the German discounter

On Tuesday, 9 January 2018 18:46:03 UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 08/01/2018 11:35, whisky-dave wrote:

You're to dumb to work it out aren't you, it's because few peolpe want to shop at those times such as 3am in the morning.

At 3am the isles in supermarkets are full of cages full of the stuff
from which they are restocking the shelves - often not a good shopping
experience

On monday at 6pm I was in sainsbury and they had 3 of those cages out in the aisles just enough space to squeeze past, well for those that were taller, those that were wider had problems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 January 2018 20:37:56 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Monday, 8 January 2018 17:21:38 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Huge wrote

Hardly DIY is it, why don't the supermarkets give a
small discount to customers who do it themselves?

Which is one of the reasons I generally
won't use self-service checkouts.

With most of those round here, you have the option of queueing
up for a checkout, or sailing straight through self service .

Why do you think they make you queue ?
Is it because it's cheaper for them or is better for you ?

(I hardly ever shop at busy times).

Some of us don't have that choice,

Everyone does.

No they don't as some of us have a job where they
won't allow us to shop while we are employed to work.

Even those who work 12-14 hour shifts still find that
some shops are open outside those work hours.

Some shops but perhaps not the one that you want to use.

Even sillier than you usually manage. The normal supermarkets
are open from 7am till midnight. Plenty of time for even those
on 12 or 14 hour shifts to use them.

We were talking about not using them at busy times that was the point.
quote "
(I hardly ever shop at busy times).

Some of us don't have that choice,

Everyone does.

"

So you're saying that supermarkets aren;t busy between 7am and midnight.
So whebn do most people do their shopping ?

So when are supermarkets busy when they are closed ?

When do you car to your yard sales ?

Normally head out at 5:30am for the ones that are sposed to start
at 7am. Many do open a full hour before their advertised time.

Do you sleep before going to them, as my flatmate used to start work at ~9pm and finish somewhere between 4am and 8am depending on the club and event and day.
if you started work at 9pm would you be up for going to a yard sale at 7am straight from work. ?

A few years ago I couldn't get to the post office as it was
only open during working hours and closed lunchtime.

Ours was never stupid enough to close for lunch and thats
irrelevant to supermarkets that never did and were always
open for much longer than normal 9-5 working hours.

So when do peolpe shop then, and what times would someone go if they wanted to aviod the busy times ?

One of ours is open all day Xmas day too, tho the main national
ones are closed Xmas day. The only day they are closed.

Same here.

One of our two biggest national supermarket chains did open
24/7 for while, but dont anymore. Now 7am till midnight.

Again same here the tesco used to be 24/7 but now is 6am to midnight, so when my flatmae was on her way home M-F, club stop serving at 2:00am closing at about 3:00am used to arrive at tescos about 4:00am but now it's closed, no point sitting outside to 6am.

Aldi opens a bit later, 8:30am and only till 8pm. Still plenty for
those on even 12 or 14 hour shifts, because those normally do
include the overnight hours. The cops do 12 hour shifts.

But typically they are busy times which is difficult to avoid that was the point not going at busy times.

Even on saturday morning, up till about 10:30 am at least.

If yuo work Friday night from 9pm till 5am in a nightclub
you don;t always feel like shopping saturday morning,

There are obviously other days of the
week for those to do their shopping.

She worked at the club 6 days/nights a week.
Typically from 9pm til 4am later on friday nights and on saturday the club didn't close until 7:30am sunday morning.

And oddly enough the supermarkets are
open on those days for some reason.

and oddley enough lots of people tend to shop there making them their busy times.

most near me are very busy saturday it one of the peak
shopping days for most because for most it's a day off.

Yes, but if you have enough of a clue to do the shopping
early on that day, there are still plenty of free self checkouts.

What do you mean by early ?

And hordes of ours do their weekly shopping on sunday now too.

That's teh point hoardres do making the supermarket busy, just like the nightclub people go their most when it's open. Which makes cleaning it during those times difficult if not impossible especailly the toilets.
After working for 5-9 hours then doing the cleaning for another hour you don't really feeling like visiting the supermarket.
She also had another job cleaning houses from about midday for a couple of hours for 2-3 days in the week.

If you want to go down the market europes longest
then you go saturday afternoon and after about 7am
and quite a bit of the time during the day too.

Try that again in english when not completely blotto, again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walthamstow_Market

Walthamstow Market in the London Borough of Waltham Forest, is the longest (though not the largest) outdoor market in Europe.

If you want to go to europes longest street market you have to go when it's open, personaly I can;t stand the place when it's open, old ladies with shopping carts, mothers with kids and push chairs/prams.

Yes it is, thgat's why they close it.

Its stupid to claim that any supermarket is only
ever very busy with no free self checkouts or closed.

I never said that.

Yesterday 1pmish I was standing in a Q of 3 peolpe one
self checkout was faulty the other could't give change,
when it but up to 5 in the Q for 1 checkout they opened
another staffed checkout, not sure if you call that busy or not
but I'm not wasting 10mins of my lunchtime standing in a Q.

So its stupid to be doing your shopping at lunchtime, stupid.

Pretty stupid to have a luntime in the middle of the day perhaps it should be re-arrange to 11pm when the supermarket isn't so busy then.

Bit the trouble is my lunchtime is 12:30-1:30 so that is the time I go out to have lunch.

Thats what all supermarkets are about, stupid.

Then I expect a discount for scanning my own goods packing my own goods.

More fool you. You get lower prices on what
you buy because their checkout costs are lower.

No I don't it's the same price whether I use the self scan or the checkout person does it, have yuo never looked at the reciepts ?
Ypu used to get 1p for re-using a carrier bag they don't do that anymore instead they charge 5p for one.

if I scan the goods in myself I expect them cheaper

They are cheaper for everyone, because the
cost of running all the checkouts is lower.

But I donlt get anything cheaper for using those checkouts than I do if using their staff.

or to get some deal such as reward points otherwise I'll get the
employees to do the work the same way they do when stacking sheleves.

But you choose to use a supermarket where you put the stuff
into your trolley or basket yourself,

I don;t know of any other supermarket where it is differnt even local shops you select what you want yuorself. On;y on-line ordering gets anothe rperson doing it for you and they usually charge for the service.

instead of telling the monkey
behind the counter what you want and have them put it in your
trolley or bag on the counter without any discount or reward points.

That depends on the shop and the products.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 January 2018 21:12:49 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 9 January 2018 12:23:04 UTC, FMurtz wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

Some of us have better things to do than go out to supermarkets for a
day out.

I just made some melon and lemon and melon and pineapple jam.

Good for you.

Lsst night about 11:30pm I had a cockel sandwhich they don't make them in
the shops where I buy my lunch they don;t have them in the college cafes
and we have a few cafes here, there's a number of fast food outlets nearby
too.
Locally we have 2 co-ops, 2 sainsburys, a subways a couple of burger
joints a KFC a greedy cow. nandos and a number of other small food
outlets.

it can not be bought here any more,IXL used to have tins, neither can
the jam melons(citron melon), I had to import the seeds and grow my own
melons.

I used to make my own cocktails because they didn't serve them in the club
I went to, use to smuggle in a 37.5CL bottle of it premixed sometimes a
50cl bottle.
When I used to go to the hippadrome and camden palace it was a small
bottle of ribena and a half bottle of captain morgan or 1/2 bottle of
bacardi.
Yes rum was my favorite drink in the 80s and no one called me whisky dave
then for some strange reason.

The shops stopped selling them 40 or 50 years ago(green grocer said some
immigrants bought them thinking they would be edible and then complained
and I suppose people stopped making jam so he stopped selling them)
Maybe Tasmania may sell them?

I'm pretty sure I can buy melons, pinapples and lemons.

Jam melons arent normal melons.

Last week I had melon slices luncthtine from the co-op in one
of those little snake pots, they do grape & straberrys, pinapple
and other such stuff even pommigranate seeds.
Perhaps where you live they don't do exotic fruits such as melon.

Plenty of melons, just not jam melons.

You;d have thought if they were popular you;d be able to get them almost anywhere.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

[...]

Clearly jam making with jam melons never was that popular, stupid.

you;d be able to get them almost anywhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

[...]

Wow really, do you think supermarkets that open 24/7 are popular and are they as popular at 4am as they are at 4pm.

you;d be able to get them almost anywhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Even a terminal ****wit such as yourself should be able
to work out that even for someone on 12 or 14 hour
shifts, there is likely to be some time when they arent
working that the supermarket is open and not busy.

And since this mindless silly **** is the best you can manage,
here goes the chain on the rest of your even sillier ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JAB JAB is offline

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 10:53:54 GMT, pamela wrote:

How can I tell you just lost another argument?

Here's the yardstick:

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead."

- Thomas Paine, The American Crisis No. V (1776)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JAB wrote

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use of
reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Which might just be why no one is actually
stupid enough to argue with you.

- Thomas Paine, The American Crisis No. V (1776)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 17:09:03 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

So what time is that then ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
One thing I've not seen in Aldi- a food bank collection point. Other
supermarkets have them- even for pets- but not Aldi.

I've never quite understood those. You buy something in a store then
donate it to a food bank? Wouldn't money make more sense so the food bank
would have the money to buy what's most needed? Or, of course get given
stuff by the supermarkets once it's passed its sell by date.

--
*PMS jokes aren't funny; period.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 14:16:55 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
One thing I've not seen in Aldi- a food bank collection point. Other
supermarkets have them- even for pets- but not Aldi.

I've never quite understood those. You buy something in a store then
donate it to a food bank? Wouldn't money make more sense so the food
bank would have the money to buy what's most needed?

Our local one accepts money too. But it's easy enough to grab a few extra
items and dump them in the bin. They even have an app that tells you what
they are short of.

It's a 1 minute walk from our Aldi toa food bank drop off point. So I
just use an extra bag and pop across there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 14:16:55 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
One thing I've not seen in Aldi- a food bank collection point. Other
supermarkets have them- even for pets- but not Aldi.

I've never quite understood those. You buy something in a store then
donate it to a food bank? Wouldn't money make more sense so the food bank
would have the money to buy what's most needed? Or, of course get given
stuff by the supermarkets once it's passed its sell by date.

Sometimes you can take advantage of a BOGOF deal where you only really
need one of the product and donate the other.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Depends on when their shift is, stupid. Our cops on 12
hour shifts have the shift change very early, 7am, so its
best to do the shopping going home after the shift and
the supermarkets clearly arent busy then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 14:16:55 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
One thing I've not seen in Aldi- a food bank collection point. Other
supermarkets have them- even for pets- but not Aldi.

I've never quite understood those. You buy something in a store then
donate it to a food bank? Wouldn't money make more sense so the food
bank would have the money to buy what's most needed? Or, of course get
given stuff by the supermarkets once it's passed its sell by date.

Sometimes you can take advantage of a BOGOF deal where you only really
need one of the product and donate the other.

Ah - never thought of that. Would explain why no such boxes at Lidl. They
don't do BOGOF.

--
*When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty*