Greg Deputy

Default Any info on a Martin lathe? (German)

I'm shopping for a used lathe, and came across a place who has a old (60's
era) German machine called a Martin (sp?). Anyone have any info (good or
bad) about these machines? I cant seem to find any info online, was trying
to get some background before I went to see it in person this afternoon.

Thanks for any info

Anthony

"Greg Deputy" wrote in
:

I'm shopping for a used lathe, and came across a place who has a old
(60's era) German machine called a Martin (sp?). Anyone have any info
(good or bad) about these machines? I cant seem to find any info
online, was trying to get some background before I went to see it in
person this afternoon.

Thanks for any info

I've ran a bunch of different German lathes, I have yet to run up on a
bad one. Even those that have been well 'Used' (read-abused) are still
good machines.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Greg Deputy

Thanks for the info. I went and saw the machine today, decided to purchase
it. Its 72" between centers, 18" swing, 12" and 16" chucks. Its got some
wear on the ways, but not terrible. For a hobbiest like myself, it'll do.
And at less than $4000, hard to beat! Cant wait to get that sucker
home.....

"Anthony" wrote in message
"Greg Deputy" wrote in
:

I'm shopping for a used lathe, and came across a place who has a old
(60's era) German machine called a Martin (sp?). Anyone have any info
(good or bad) about these machines? I cant seem to find any info
online, was trying to get some background before I went to see it in
person this afternoon.

Thanks for any info

I've ran a bunch of different German lathes, I have yet to run up on a
bad one. Even those that have been well 'Used' (read-abused) are still
good machines.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Gunner

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:32:38 -0800, "Greg Deputy"
wrote:

Thanks for the info. I went and saw the machine today, decided to purchase
it. Its 72" between centers, 18" swing, 12" and 16" chucks. Its got some
wear on the ways, but not terrible. For a hobbiest like myself, it'll do.
And at less than $4000, hard to beat! Cant wait to get that sucker
home.....

Whats the max RPM? A lot of them are simply too slow to turn small
stuff.

$4k at the right place can get you a hell of a lathe. Particularly in
So. California.
$4k will get you a Harrison 15" with tooling.....

Gunner

"Anthony" wrote in message
8...
"Greg Deputy" wrote in
:

I'm shopping for a used lathe, and came across a place who has a old
(60's era) German machine called a Martin (sp?). Anyone have any info
(good or bad) about these machines? I cant seem to find any info
online, was trying to get some background before I went to see it in
person this afternoon.

Thanks for any info

I've ran a bunch of different German lathes, I have yet to run up on a
bad one. Even those that have been well 'Used' (read-abused) are still
good machines.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)
Waynemak

thats a BIG hobby lathe
"Greg Deputy" wrote in message
Thanks for the info. I went and saw the machine today, decided to
purchase
it. Its 72" between centers, 18" swing, 12" and 16" chucks. Its got some
wear on the ways, but not terrible. For a hobbiest like myself, it'll do.
And at less than $4000, hard to beat! Cant wait to get that sucker
home.....

"Anthony" wrote in message
"Greg Deputy" wrote in
:

I'm shopping for a used lathe, and came across a place who has a old
(60's era) German machine called a Martin (sp?). Anyone have any info
(good or bad) about these machines? I cant seem to find any info
online, was trying to get some background before I went to see it in
person this afternoon.

Thanks for any info

I've ran a bunch of different German lathes, I have yet to run up on a
bad one. Even those that have been well 'Used' (read-abused) are still
good machines.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Greg Deputy

It does 30 - 1400 rpm. I'm in the tacoma area, was looking for a month or
so before I came across this. Still going to have to drop another $1k or so
to get it moved, get a phase converter, and get a 240v circuit added to the
garage, but I still think I did well.

wrote:

Thanks for the info. I went and saw the machine today, decided to

purchase
it. Its 72" between centers, 18" swing, 12" and 16" chucks. Its got

some
wear on the ways, but not terrible. For a hobbiest like myself, it'll

do.
And at less than $4000, hard to beat! Cant wait to get that sucker
home.....

Whats the max RPM? A lot of them are simply too slow to turn small
stuff.

$4k at the right place can get you a hell of a lathe. Particularly in
So. California.
$4k will get you a Harrison 15" with tooling.....

Gunner

"Anthony" wrote in message
8...
"Greg Deputy" wrote in