rdspivey

Default Harbor Freight Lathe

I'm new to this news group and turning. My problem is my bottom of the line
lathe. It has no morse taper in the head stock and the threads are 3/4" X 8
or 10 TPI (only have a half inch of threads to measure). Can I find a drill
type chuck and self centering chuck that will fit this lathe? Should I just
chalk it up as lesson learned and buy a "real lathe"? Any comments
appreciated.

Bob Pritchard

If your measuring 8 threads in a 1/2" the spindle size would be 3/4 x !6 which
is a very common size in smaller lathes.
If it is indeed 3/4 x 8 you would only see 4 threads in a 1/2". Kind of
unlikely but I guess anything is possible.
Spindle threads are measured by the amount of threads in 1" of spindle length.
If it is 3/4 x 16 both chucks you mentioned are available about anywhere chucks
are sold.

I'm new to this news group and turning. My problem is my bottom of the line
lathe. It has no morse taper in the head stock and the threads are 3/4" X 8
or 10 TPI (only have a half inch of threads to measure).

Bob, Naugatuck Ct.
http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com
Ken Moon

If you got that cheap model with the sheet metal ways and a lowest speed
around 1400 RPM, then you'd be better off with a real lathe, or a refund.
That one will bend and twist when you apply any pressure to the tool, and
the high bottom speed will eliminate any projects other than small spindle
work. I know that machine is sometimes advertised for well under $100.00,
but it's no bargain. Their monotube model, if still available, offers the
least expensive lathe that can you can expect to do work over 2 inches in
diameter. But it is a hassle to used, since the toolrest doesn't move
freely. The lathe they sell that is a clone of the Jet 1236 is the lowest
priced lathe I would consider for hobby use. The design is "iffy"
(especially the toolrest extension), but lots of turners have
the Jet and its many clones, and do good work on them. But the bottom of the
line from HF is NOT the way to go. Can you still get your money back?

Ken Moon

.. .

rdspivey wrote:
I'm new to this news group and turning. My problem is my bottom of the line
lathe. It has no morse taper in the head stock and the threads are 3/4" X 8
or 10 TPI (only have a half inch of threads to measure). Can I find a drill
type chuck and self centering chuck that will fit this lathe? Should I just
chalk it up as lesson learned and buy a "real lathe"? Any comments
appreciated.

Your threads are 3/4" X 10tpi. HF sells a 4 jaw chuck for that lathe.
Low speed is about 1000 rpm. I have the feeling that who condemn the
lathe have ever owned it. It doesn't bend or twist, and it's only real
problems are the speed, could go lower and the non-standard thread.
I've kept that lathe out in the backyard for the last 6 or 7 years under
a tarp, year-round, and have non problems with it. I turn everything
from mushrooms to 13 1/2" bowls. If you're just starting, I'd stay with
smaller diameter bowls.

It is an inexpensive lathe, use it to learn on and then spen a lot more
money when you know what you want and have outgrown. You are going to
hear a lot of snobbery about low end lathes, but the reality is that if
you are a good turner, you can use nearly anything. Expensive lathes
are very nice and allow much more range in what can be done, but to say
that they are the only thing that can be used is ridiculous and a waste
of money in a beginner.

Enjoy youself and good luck,
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Grandpa

Sounds like you have the 36066 like me. For a drill chuck there is a
morse taper in the tail stock. I bought a threaded (on one end) taper
at Sears ($12?) and a 1/2" Jacobs key chuck at HF ($4.99) that matched
threads and went that way. For stock chucks, HF sells them via their
web site only, not in the stores. I don't *think* they are self
centering though but not positive. Can't remember the part numbers but
the price was around $20, they make 2 different ones to fit IIRC. I
don't think anyone else makes them with the wierd thread size.

rdspivey wrote:
I'm new to this news group and turning. My problem is my bottom of the line
lathe. It has no morse taper in the head stock and the threads are 3/4" X 8
or 10 TPI (only have a half inch of threads to measure). Can I find a drill
type chuck and self centering chuck that will fit this lathe? Should I just
chalk it up as lesson learned and buy a "real lathe"? Any comments
appreciated.

The Guy

wrote:
rdspivey wrote:

[...]

I have to agree with Dave. I also purchased this lathe to learn on. For
a minimal investment in hardware, this lathe is OK to get started on.

Outside of the high low end speed, the only real problem with the lathe
was the elCheapo sheet metal base. In its stock configuration, you
could easily warp the lathe by over tightening the tail stock. That
"issue" is easily resolved by cutting a snug fitting piece of 3/4"
plywood, sliding it into the base, and then bolting down through the
plywood.

Now that I am getting into turning, having spent more money on turning
books than on the lathe itself, I will incrementally make the next
series of investments in higher quality turning tools. I have already
made headway on my sharpening learning curve by butchering my elCheapo
turning tools a number of times. Now with a couple of jigs, I am
prepared to use and care for better tools.

As my confidence level and knowledge base increase, I will warm up to
purchasing a serious lathe, and by that time will have enough knowledge
to ask intelligent questions and make an informed decision about what
lathe will work best for my particular usage.

When it is time for a new lathe, I will have not trouble selling this
lathe to another interested beginner.

Tim

Arch

Hi Dave.
No doubt that _you can make good turnings on that lathe. You & others
here could turn on a sewing machine or a key cutter. I'm really more
slob than snob, but IMHO a cash challenged beginner would do better by
waiting a little while and then splurging on a 'modest standard' new or
used, but not a trophy, lathe. ex; Jet mini is now $199. Snobs also shop
at HF but, as you know, the trick is to recognize the bargains from the
trash. Regards, Arch

Fortiter,

Arch wrote:
Hi Dave.
No doubt that _you can make good turnings on that lathe. You & others
here could turn on a sewing machine or a key cutter. I'm really more
slob than snob, but IMHO a cash challenged beginner would do better by
waiting a little while and then splurging on a 'modest standard' new or
used, but not a trophy, lathe. ex; Jet mini is now $199. Snobs also shop
at HF but, as you know, the trick is to recognize the bargains from the
trash. Regards, Arch

Such humility, Arch you've forgotten more about turning than I'll ever
know. The point I'm going for here is that guys like immediate
gratification. $100 is easy to spend without qualms, and the HF will
keep a beginner occupied long enough to get hooked and decide to save up
for a better lathe. Given that he'll spend easily twice that in medium
quality tools, and in this case I'd recommend the $40 set of HF tools as
starters, it is necessary to start out cheap. The other lathes in this
price range are mini's and that gets old really quickly. If you want
this size in a better althe you have to double or triple the cost of the
lathe. Unless you get a pretty good mono-tube there are problems with
the design and rotational slop, so "ways" are the way to go. I caught
flack from a friend, a few years back, about the HF, so I made a mortar
and pestle out of walnut and poplar using nothing but the hatchet that
was sitting nearby. It came out nicely and my wife loves it. The point
is that it's the person, not the tool, so this one strikes me as a
workable starter. Of course if anyone would like to donate a Oneway,
I'll find the space. BESG
Dave in
Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Leo Lichtman

There is a psychological side-effect to starting out cheap. At least, I
have this problem, so I assume I am not alone. The initial investment gives
you a mind-set which makes it hard to part with large amonts of money as a
follow-up. After buying a very inexpensive lathe, it is very tempting to
buy the $9.95 set of gouges, and the $20 chuck.

It is true that an experienced craftsman can make a mortar and pestle using
only a hatchet. But, what about a beginner? Working with the worst lathe
in the world, the worst tools in the world, and no experience to carry you
forward, what is going to happen? Either, you will have poor success, and
quit, or you will develop a hunger for better stuff, and end up replacing
everything.

I also am very familiar with the joy of upgrading. If you have the money to
start with "nothing but the best," in my opinion, you will never really
appreciate what you have, and will have missed some of the pleasures of the
craft.

MHaseltine

BTW Grizzly has a self-centering, 4-jaw (reversible) chuck for $70 and a number
of threaded inserts options to go in it including a 3/4 x 10tpi for $7 each. -
don't know anything about one way or the other.
JIM

I started with this lathe and though it has it's limits I believe that for
the money it was the best thing I have ever bought. Yes I also bought the
$10.00 set of tools and though I have started to buy better(lathe and tools)
I was happy with the set-up and used it for years. The people that bad mouth
companies like HF are the same people that rely on their tools to produce
the "art, craft, labor......".

Lets face it Hf sells cheaply priced product at a reasonable price and if
it's made in china or twaiwan so what, it got me started and I still use it
and plan on keeping it after I get my new Grizzley unlike the $400 Jet
planer I bought and have had to replace the gears twice in the last year at
a cost of $50 and was told the first time that it was because of abuse and
wasn't covered by the warranty and still haven't heard back the second time
from their people(2 Months,1letter,and 2 phone calls)

And lets face it after cutting the rails off and putting on a cheap set
of pulleys it will make a great bowl lathe for under another hundred
bucks......

Sorry to rant but unless the other people out there have excess cash to
blow on hobbies and whatever I think for some one getting started with
this hobbie(face it if your worried about price on tools, IT'S STILL A
HOBBY) It is money well spent if for no other reason than your skill will be
perfected when it's time for the big boys.......(Instant failure of first
turned item + expensive machine =thowing in the towel.........Failure +
cheap machine = machine's Fault ,,I'll do better when I own________!

Silvan

Leo Lichtman wrote:

follow-up. After buying a very inexpensive lathe, it is very tempting to
buy the $9.95 set of gouges, and the $20 chuck.

I never let that thought coalesce before, but you're onto something. Can't
put a $100 saw blade on a $50 saw... It just doesn't seem natural.

I got one thing right though. I have a respectable lathe waiting under the
tree. Too bad I have a $9.95 set of gouges to go with it.

(I figure I will learn how to sharpen the $9.95 gouges before I ruin good
tools with clueless grinding.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

The Guy

Silvan wrote:
Leo Lichtman wrote:

follow-up. After buying a very inexpensive lathe, it is very tempting to
buy the $9.95 set of gouges, and the $20 chuck.

I never let that thought coalesce before, but you're onto something. Can't
put a $100 saw blade on a $50 saw... It just doesn't seem natural.

I got one thing right though. I have a respectable lathe waiting under the
tree. Too bad I have a $9.95 set of gouges to go with it.

(I figure I will learn how to sharpen the $9.95 gouges before I ruin good
tools with clueless grinding.)

I figure that the elCheapo set of lathe tools I started with saved me a
fortune in ruined tools while my sharpening learning curve progressed.

Tim

Silvan

wrote:

starters, it is necessary to start out cheap. The other lathes in this
price range are mini's and that gets old really quickly. If you want

I sure hope not. If I outgrow my mini, I have to build a new shop.

I still haven't quite figured out where I'm going to put it as it is. You
saw pictures of my shop. It looks worse now that I have the trash can
cyclone thing, and a baby bandsaw. The scroll saw is coming too. I went
out with SWMBO last night and picked it up. So much for the surprise.

On the bright side, there's not much left to buy, and I have representative
of everything imaginable now. (Except a biscuit joiner... Hmmmmmm...

It's a good point though. If I had room for a full-sized lathe, I probably
wouldn't have spent as much as I did. Catching the JET mini on model
change close-out for about half what it normally runs helped, but it was
still $50-100 more than I had intended to spend on a tool I don't even know
if I will have any skill at using. If I had room for one of the gigantic
six foot sheet metal el cheapos for $130 or so, that's probably where I
would have ended up.

It's not like any of my *other* machines are anything to brag about. My
stuff is generally only one notch above rock bottom. I have no serious
regrets, and I've gotten my money's worth out of everything except the
really wretched Crapsman router/table combo.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Brent Beal

"rdspivey" wrote in message
.. .
I'm new to this news group and turning. My problem is my bottom of the

line
lathe. It has no morse taper in the head stock and the threads are 3/4" X

8
or 10 TPI (only have a half inch of threads to measure). Can I find a

drill
type chuck and self centering chuck that will fit this lathe? Should I

just
chalk it up as lesson learned and buy a "real lathe"? Any comments
appreciated.

If it should be 3/4 x 16 as one responder stated, then Sears uses the same

size. Craft Supplies in Utah ( I believe) would be a good place to begin.

Silvan wrote:
Leo Lichtman wrote:
follow-up. After buying a very inexpensive lathe, it is very tempting to
buy the $9.95 set of gouges, and the $20 chuck.

I never let that thought coalesce before, but you're onto something. Can't
put a $100 saw blade on a $50 saw... It just doesn't seem natural.

If you go back and check, you'll see that I recommended the $40 set of
turning tools. The $10 set is a bit flimsy, and while $40 is the cost
of 1/2 a real tool, it gives you a better starter set. I picked that
lathe because it would have to be OUTSIDE year-round, I wouldn't want to
do that with a more expensive lathe. BTW, did you look at the mortar
and pestle?
Dave in fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Leo Lichtman

Dave wrote: (clip) BTW, did you look at the mortar and pestle?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I just got around to it. It looks like you must have very good hatchet
technique. I guess I assumed that you used the hatched to chop out a mortar
and pestle, much the way canoes are made. Seeing the result, I assume you
used the hatchet like a skew. Right?

Sounds like an interesting challenge for our woodturning club.

Leo Lichtman wrote:
Dave wrote: (clip) BTW, did you look at the mortar and pestle?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I just got around to it. It looks like you must have very good hatchet
technique. I guess I assumed that you used the hatched to chop out a mortar
and pestle, much the way canoes are made. Seeing the result, I assume you
used the hatchet like a skew. Right?
Sounds like an interesting challenge for our woodturning club.

I used it as a skew and sort of as a scraper, depending on where I was
on the bowl. The inside was dicey, so I used the toe of the hatchet as
a sorta scraper to hollow it out and then used an edge to clean it up.
I didn't want to use anything but the hatchet since I was copping an
attitude, so rather than sand, I used the side of the hatchet to burnish
the outside of the bowl. Towards the bottom you can see a ridge where I
let the edge touch. On the inside I burnished using the handle. This
was a stupid and dangerous thing to do, and if my temper hadn't gotten
away with me I wouldn't have tried it. I don't respond well to insults,
and even though he was joking, it ****ed me off. I try not to let it
happen, but I guess everybody saw me do once here as well, and for that
I apologise. What I'm saying, is if you decide to try this, be VERY
careful. A catch with a hatchet could be life threatening. it'll also
mess up your pants.
Thanks for looking at it, and the comments,
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: