Grandpa

Default Harbor Freight Lathe

Sounds like you have the 36066 like me. For a drill chuck there is a
morse taper in the tail stock. I bought a threaded (on one end) taper
at Sears ($12?) and a 1/2" Jacobs key chuck at HF ($4.99) that matched
threads and went that way. For stock chucks, HF sells them via their
web site only, not in the stores. I don't *think* they are self
centering though but not positive. Can't remember the part numbers but
the price was around $20, they make 2 different ones to fit IIRC. I
don't think anyone else makes them with the wierd thread size.

rdspivey wrote:
I'm new to this news group and turning. My problem is my bottom of the line
lathe. It has no morse taper in the head stock and the threads are 3/4" X 8
or 10 TPI (only have a half inch of threads to measure). Can I find a drill
type chuck and self centering chuck that will fit this lathe? Should I just
chalk it up as lesson learned and buy a "real lathe"? Any comments
appreciated.