Default Harbor Freight Lathe

Leo Lichtman wrote:
Dave wrote: (clip) BTW, did you look at the mortar and pestle?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I just got around to it. It looks like you must have very good hatchet
technique. I guess I assumed that you used the hatched to chop out a mortar
and pestle, much the way canoes are made. Seeing the result, I assume you
used the hatchet like a skew. Right?
Sounds like an interesting challenge for our woodturning club.

I used it as a skew and sort of as a scraper, depending on where I was
on the bowl. The inside was dicey, so I used the toe of the hatchet as
a sorta scraper to hollow it out and then used an edge to clean it up.
I didn't want to use anything but the hatchet since I was copping an
attitude, so rather than sand, I used the side of the hatchet to burnish
the outside of the bowl. Towards the bottom you can see a ridge where I
let the edge touch. On the inside I burnished using the handle. This
was a stupid and dangerous thing to do, and if my temper hadn't gotten
away with me I wouldn't have tried it. I don't respond well to insults,
and even though he was joking, it ****ed me off. I try not to let it
happen, but I guess everybody saw me do once here as well, and for that
I apologise. What I'm saying, is if you decide to try this, be VERY
careful. A catch with a hatchet could be life threatening. it'll also
mess up your pants.
Thanks for looking at it, and the comments,
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: