Ken Moon

Default Harbor Freight Lathe

If you got that cheap model with the sheet metal ways and a lowest speed
around 1400 RPM, then you'd be better off with a real lathe, or a refund.
That one will bend and twist when you apply any pressure to the tool, and
the high bottom speed will eliminate any projects other than small spindle
work. I know that machine is sometimes advertised for well under $100.00,
but it's no bargain. Their monotube model, if still available, offers the
least expensive lathe that can you can expect to do work over 2 inches in
diameter. But it is a hassle to used, since the toolrest doesn't move
freely. The lathe they sell that is a clone of the Jet 1236 is the lowest
priced lathe I would consider for hobby use. The design is "iffy"
(especially the toolrest extension), but lots of turners have
the Jet and its many clones, and do good work on them. But the bottom of the
line from HF is NOT the way to go. Can you still get your money back?

Ken Moon

"rdspivey" wrote in message
.. .
I'm new to this news group and turning. My problem is my bottom of the

line
lathe. It has no morse taper in the head stock and the threads are 3/4" X

8
or 10 TPI (only have a half inch of threads to measure). Can I find a

drill
type chuck and self centering chuck that will fit this lathe? Should I

just
chalk it up as lesson learned and buy a "real lathe"? Any comments
appreciated.