Silvan

Default Harbor Freight Lathe

wrote:

starters, it is necessary to start out cheap. The other lathes in this
price range are mini's and that gets old really quickly. If you want

I sure hope not. If I outgrow my mini, I have to build a new shop.

I still haven't quite figured out where I'm going to put it as it is. You
saw pictures of my shop. It looks worse now that I have the trash can
cyclone thing, and a baby bandsaw. The scroll saw is coming too. I went
out with SWMBO last night and picked it up. So much for the surprise.

On the bright side, there's not much left to buy, and I have representative
of everything imaginable now. (Except a biscuit joiner... Hmmmmmm...

It's a good point though. If I had room for a full-sized lathe, I probably
wouldn't have spent as much as I did. Catching the JET mini on model
change close-out for about half what it normally runs helped, but it was
still $50-100 more than I had intended to spend on a tool I don't even know
if I will have any skill at using. If I had room for one of the gigantic
six foot sheet metal el cheapos for $130 or so, that's probably where I
would have ended up.

It's not like any of my *other* machines are anything to brag about. My
stuff is generally only one notch above rock bottom. I have no serious
regrets, and I've gotten my money's worth out of everything except the
really wretched Crapsman router/table combo.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/