The Guy

Default Harbor Freight Lathe

wrote:
rdspivey wrote:

I'm new to this news group and turning. My problem is my bottom of the line
lathe. It has no morse taper in the head stock and the threads are 3/4" X 8
or 10 TPI (only have a half inch of threads to measure). Can I find a drill
type chuck and self centering chuck that will fit this lathe? Should I just
chalk it up as lesson learned and buy a "real lathe"? Any comments
appreciated.

Your threads are 3/4" X 10tpi. HF sells a 4 jaw chuck for that lathe.
Low speed is about 1000 rpm. I have the feeling that who condemn the
lathe have ever owned it. It doesn't bend or twist, and it's only real
problems are the speed, could go lower and the non-standard thread.
I've kept that lathe out in the backyard for the last 6 or 7 years under
a tarp, year-round, and have non problems with it. I turn everything
from mushrooms to 13 1/2" bowls. If you're just starting, I'd stay with
smaller diameter bowls.

It is an inexpensive lathe, use it to learn on and then spen a lot more
money when you know what you want and have outgrown. You are going to
hear a lot of snobbery about low end lathes, but the reality is that if
you are a good turner, you can use nearly anything. Expensive lathes
are very nice and allow much more range in what can be done, but to say
that they are the only thing that can be used is ridiculous and a waste
of money in a beginner.

Enjoy youself and good luck,
Dave in Fairfax

I have to agree with Dave. I also purchased this lathe to learn on. For
a minimal investment in hardware, this lathe is OK to get started on.

Outside of the high low end speed, the only real problem with the lathe
was the elCheapo sheet metal base. In its stock configuration, you
could easily warp the lathe by over tightening the tail stock. That
"issue" is easily resolved by cutting a snug fitting piece of 3/4"
plywood, sliding it into the base, and then bolting down through the
plywood.

Now that I am getting into turning, having spent more money on turning
books than on the lathe itself, I will incrementally make the next
series of investments in higher quality turning tools. I have already
made headway on my sharpening learning curve by butchering my elCheapo
turning tools a number of times. Now with a couple of jigs, I am
prepared to use and care for better tools.

As my confidence level and knowledge base increase, I will warm up to
purchasing a serious lathe, and by that time will have enough knowledge
to ask intelligent questions and make an informed decision about what
lathe will work best for my particular usage.

When it is time for a new lathe, I will have not trouble selling this
lathe to another interested beginner.

Tim