Bud

Default Im Sooo Confussed, Oneway or Stubby lathe

Will be getting a larger lathe soon. I had decided on a Oneway 2436,
I don't think there is no question by anybody, of the quality of this
lathe. I have not seen the Stubby except for photos, BUT, I have now
read up on Stubby lathes, and found some very desirable design
features in the Stubby, mainly the lathe being very versatile. My
Questions are, aside from design differences, I am very curious on the
Quality differences of the 2 lathes. One main concern (one of the most
important features I feel in a lathe, is headstock bearings), one
feature that makes the Oneway such a smooth running machine is the 4
bearing spindle design, not much info out there of the stubby spindle
bearing design except "dual taper bearings" Any Info from those who
know about the QUALITY differences between the two lathes would
greatly be appreciated ( is the Stubby lacking some ways in the way of
quality, compared to the Oneway). I guess I'm really asking you guys,
which lathe I should get, any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks much in advance & SAFE Turning.
Derek Andrews

Bud wrote:
One main concern (one of the most
important features I feel in a lathe, is headstock bearings), one
feature that makes the Oneway such a smooth running machine is the 4
bearing spindle design, not much info out there of the stubby spindle
bearing design except "dual taper bearings"

I can't speak to the Stubby, but if headstock bearings are important to
you, check out the VB36.

Tobias Kaye has written a review of it he
http://www.woodturns.com/articles/tools/vb36/

Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning

Jim Pugh

Bud, if you say what part of the country you are in I will contact the
Stubby group and ask if someone will let you turn on their lathe for a bit.
I was once in your position and wanted the larger Oneway in the worst way
but after seeing a couple up close and personal, I could see that while I
could get it into my shop, there wouldn't be much extra room while with the
Stubby 750 I can do much of the same work in about half the length. The
Stubby is a well made machine and all who have one will support that
statement. So, you can't go wrong with either lathe.
"Bud" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Jim Gott

I am very curious on the
Quality differences of the 2 lathes. One main concern (one of the most
important features I feel in a lathe, is headstock bearings), one
feature that makes the Oneway such a smooth running machine is the 4
bearing spindle design, not much info out there of the stubby spindle
bearing design except "dual taper bearings" BRBR

The Stubby bearings are the same bearings as in the Oneway, says John Jordan. I
have turned on both Oneway and Stubby, and Stubby wins hands down in my
opinion.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA
Barry N. Turner

Bud,

Much of the choice as to which lathe you get depends on the types if turning
you intend to do. If you think most of your work will be spindle turning, a
Oneway would probably be better for you, as the 2436 is essentially a
spindle lathe; however, it is large enough to do quite large bowls on. (You
just have to crank yourself around and lean over the bed to turn a bowl.)
Lots of people do lots of bowls on Oneway's.

You are right, both are quality lathes. Oneway might have a slight edge in
the "Fit and finish" area. (I love that white paint!) Stubby is quite
versatile. It is essentially a bowl and hollow vessel lathe, although it
can be configured to do spindles. A Stubby 750 will swing a 30" diameter
bowl or platter. For turning bowls or hollow vessels, the bed swings out of
the way, so you can turn from the tailstock end of the lathe and save the
strain on your neck and back.

Both lathes are very heavy and exceptionally well-made. I'm sure the
bearings are comparable. You could always ask John Jordan. I seriously
doubt if quality would be an issue on either. He sells Stubby's but is
quite knowledgeable about most every lathe on the market.

I have a Stubby 750 on order. For my style of turning and the amount of
space I have available, it just seemed to be the more logical choice. Try
to find someone who will let you try out each lathe. You can decide which
lathe is best for you a whole lot better than a bunch of us old guys on the
internet can. You know what you want to turn. We don't. I'm sure either
lathe choice would be excellent.

Barry

"Bud" wrote in message
m...
[...]

David Wade

Bud,

Both lathes are excellent quality. Both lathes do bowls and spindles.
Both lathes will last you a lifetime with reasonable care. Choose based
on the features you like. I did as complete a comparison as I could and
chose the Oneway. I like the controls on the swinging pesestal and the
locking setscrews on chucks and faceplates so I can turn in reverse with
more confidence. However, your preferences will be specific to you.

Please, though, don't put weight on the 'the Oneway is for spindles and
the Stubby is for bowls' argument. They both do both. Look deeper for
the things that make it comfortable for you to turn.

David
(The Stubby may be back, but the Oneway never left)

--
http://www.wademade.net

Bill Rubenstein

I think Bud should take a test drive.

As to bearings -- I believe that I am the only person in the US who has replaced the bearings
in his Stubby and many of them have a lot of mileage on them.

I didn't notice that the cord of the drill I was using for sanding was in contact with the
handwheel at the outboard end of the spindle. The friction frayed the insulation and when
that was gone, 110 volts found its way to ground through the bearings. Things got noisy all
of a sudden -- I had welded some of the little balls in there.

The bearings are SKF and are available from any stocking bearing distributor. My local
bearing house didn't have the front bearing in their St. Louis warehouse so I had to wait a
day for them to ship from another warehouse. The replacement of the bearings, getting the
spindle out and back in were straightforward.

While the Oneway uses twice as many bearings, unless they are properly matched, one bearing
of a pair will do the work and the other one won't. They strongly suggest that you let them
do the work at the factory so that a selected, matched set can be fitted.

I have a friend who bought a used large Oneway. The bearings were shot. BTW, he replaced
them himself.

Bill

In article , says...

Bud wrote:
[...]

Earl

I have never used a Oneway so can't say anything about them. I took a
three day class from Christian Burchard (who use's a Oneway in his own
shop!) in a High School that had Stubby's. I don't know about the
technical design of the bearings but I know it was so smooth and quiet
you had to look at it to see if was running or not. I also loved the
configuration. It has a solid head that doesn't move but with the
short bed you could work right at the foot without leaning over and
yet could extend the bed for bigger or longer work. I suppose if you
will be doing long spindle work the Oneway would be better. But the
lathe is so hefty I can't believe you would ever have a bearing
problem.

Earl

edward tabachek

What about after sales service? Should the purchaser give any thought to
the location of their nearest dealer or the factory; for accessories,
upgrades, replacement parts etc.?
I own several lathes that are either no longer manufactured or are not
supported by a North American dealer network and obtaining
parts/service/information for these machines is becoming a PIA.
I think I would like to have the source on the same continent if not the
same country.
Edward

Joe Fleming

Edward,

It is a wrong statement to recommend that you should get the Oneway if
you are going to do spindles. The Stubby with the short bed
configuration can do around 30+". If you get the Stubby with the
standard bed, you can turn close to 40". The Oneway is good for 36".

Most of the lathes that John Jordan has sold and Bill Rubenstein will
sell use the short bed. A number of people do that the longer
standard bed. For what it is worth, I've made an adapter that lets me
place the auxillary bed of the Stubby in line with the main bed to get
me more than 40" of spindle length.

I turned on a Oneway, a Vicmarc and a Stubby before buying. In my
opinion, the Stubby offers the most value for the money. Having said
that, both the Vicmarc and the Oneway are very well built lathes, but
they lack the flexibility of the Stubby's standard configuration. I
found, for me, that the Stubby's compact footprint fit my small shop
the best, yet could perform as a longbed when needed.

Joe Fleming - San Diego

"edward tabachek" wrote in message ...
What about after sales service? Should the purchaser give any thought to
the location of their nearest dealer or the factory; for accessories,
upgrades, replacement parts etc.?
I own several lathes that are either no longer manufactured or are not
supported by a North American dealer network and obtaining
parts/service/information for these machines is becoming a PIA.
I think I would like to have the source on the same continent if not the
same country.
Edward

rick pixley

I've turned on both and to me the Stubby wins hands down...the reasons are
for versatility and ability to get up close and personal with your work
without having to "ride the ways"...Sure saves wear and tear on the lower
back...Good Luck,Rick

"Bud" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Derek Hartzell

Oneway has an inexpensive 17" (I think) bed extension - $100-$200. It
makes the Oneway a short bed when mounted outboard and gives extra length
for turning long spindles as well (or for sliding the tailstock way out of
the way).

Derek

"rick pixley" wrote in message
.. .
I've turned on both and to me the Stubby wins hands down...the reasons are
for versatility and ability to get up close and personal with your work
without having to "ride the ways"...Sure saves wear and tear on the lower
back...Good Luck,Rick

Barry N. Turner

If you're using a garage for a workshop........better sell one of the
vehicles. The Oneway with outboard attachment takes up a lot of room. Very
nice machine though.

Barry

"Derek Hartzell" wrote in message
Oneway has an inexpensive 17" (I think) bed extension - $100-$200. It
makes the Oneway a short bed when mounted outboard and gives extra length
for turning long spindles as well (or for sliding the tailstock way out of
the way).

Derek

"rick pixley" wrote in message
.. .
I've turned on both and to me the Stubby wins hands down...the reasons are
for versatility and ability to get up close and personal with your work
without having to "ride the ways"...Sure saves wear and tear on the lower
back...Good Luck,Rick

cindy drozda

I'm curious that no one responding to this post has said anything about
the "welded vs. cast" question. The Stubby is a cast iron/steel machine,
and the OneWay is welded up from tubing and plate. I have never used a
OneWay myself, but have heard a number of pro turners say that they don't
like to turn for long periods of time on the OneWay because of the
harmonic vibration in the weldments. Supposedly cast iron is better at
dampening vibration. I bought a Stubby when looking for another lathe to
supplement my Vicmarc VL200. The decision between Stubby and OneWay went
to Stubby mainly because of the spindle thread size. I wanted all of my
chucks and things to fit both machines. If OneWay starts making a 1 1/4 x
8 spindle option (maybe they already do?), I think they will sell more of
them. Another thing about the Stubby was/is that it's versatility is
really usable. Unlike lots of "convertable" machines I have seen
(jointer/planer/tablesaws, etc), the Stubby's bed moves around as easily
as a tool rest, and locks in place solidly. While I can't compare it to
the OneWay, I can give the Stubby a vote of confidence. You can come over
and try out mine if you want....being able to put it through its paces
before buying was one of the things that sold me on it.

CD
boulder,co

Barry N. Turner

The only Oneway that I have even the least bit of real experience with is
the 1224. I have looked at several 1236's in stores, but I have never
turned on one. Although the 1224 is a really sturdy, well-made machine, it
was not nearly as quiet as I expected it to be. This seemed to be from
vibration coming from the steel stand. On this machine, it probably had
nothing to do with the "weldments". I can't say about the larger machines.
But, for that much money, it should have been quieter. My Jet mini is
quieter and maybe smoother. I've never turned on a Oneway, just watched
others and played with the controls on a 1224 a bit with no blank mounted.
I know, not much of a test. Stubby gets my vote. My Stubby 750 is on
order.

Barry

"cindy drozda" wrote in message

[...]

Dave Peebles

Hi Cindy,

I don't like to get in to these debates on which is best. I learned that it
doesn't pay. But I did want to let you know that my Oneway (2436) has
none of the harmonic vibrations you speak of. It is possible that these pro
turners didn't have it leveled properly. Or maybe I am just lucky. But mine
has been very solid and quiet running for several years.

It is my feeling that any of the high end lathes will be a great machine, ya
just need to figure out which one fits your needs the best.

By the way... I am a big fan of your work. It is really beautiful!!

Best wishes,
Dave

David Peebles
Lyons, Ohio
Revolutions Woodturning
www.bowlturner.com

[...]

Ray Sandusky

Bud the One Way is Proprietary - 33mm spindle - so you have to buy only One
Way gear to fit the machine, plust the thing is too long if you are not
making spindles then why take up the space. Also if you want to get in
front ont he work on a One Way you have to climb aboard wit h the Stubby,
you just move the bed out of the way - pretty easy

Ray

"Bud" wrote in message
m...
[...]

David Wade

Ray Sandusky wrote:
Bud the One Way is Proprietary - 33mm spindle - so you have to buy only One
Way gear to fit the machine,

Ray, I respectfully disagree. M33 - 3.5 is the metric standard, not a
proprietary decision. I have had no problems getting chucks to fit (I
use both Oneway and Vicmarc chucks) and have a selection of faceplates
from three different suppliers. The only issue is what Ms. Drozda wrote
about, interchanging chucks and faceplates between machines.
Nevertheless, for a small fee you can purchase spindle adapters that
allow easy cross overs and make it a small issue. Our club lathe is 1
1/4 - 8 and for a demo I will sometimes mount and rough it on that size
of faceplate. The adapter runs rock solid. I plan to add a mini-lathe
to my collection soon and foresee no problem working with different
spindle sizes. However, if you have only one lathe, it is an absolute
non-issue.

Also if you want to get in
front ont he work on a One Way you have to climb aboard wit h the Stubby,
you just move the bed out of the way - pretty easy

I find this a non-issue also. The lathe has both outboard capability and
reverse. If you wish, and with about five minutes of thought the first
time, you can turn most easily on the opposite side. The geometry is all
the same and sometimes ergonomically preferable, at least for me.

To respond to another's comment about the availability of factory
service. Oneways are made in Ontario, Canada. Bud, how close is that to
the time zone you live in compared to Australia?

Again, all the top tier lathes are fine machines and will allow you to
do just about anything you want. Find the one that fits you.

David
--
http://www.wademade.net

George

Oddly, greater rigidity is touted as one of the advantages of the steel
lathe over iron. I guess it's a bit more of the grinding controversy all
over again.

Though with stands almost universally cheesier than the lathe, I'm betting
it's the stand that makes the difference.

"cindy drozda" wrote in message

I'm curious that no one responding to this post has said anything about
the "welded vs. cast" question. The Stubby is a cast iron/steel machine,
and the OneWay is welded up from tubing and plate. I have never used a
OneWay myself, but have heard a number of pro turners say that they don't
like to turn for long periods of time on the OneWay because of the
harmonic vibration in the weldments. Supposedly cast iron is better at
dampening vibration.

Bill Rubenstein

I need to jump in here...

Up until now, most of the Stubbys sold in the US were sold by John Jordan. John has provided
service, information and parts as needed and as far as I know there has never been a
complaint.

I am now the new importer of Stubbys (John will continue to sell them) and will be stocking
parts and whatever is needed. I am in the St Louis area which is closer to most of you than
Canada. I've owned my S750 since 1999, have a lot of hours on it, and know a lot about it
because it is my nature to do that, not because the machine has had any problems.

There is an active Internet support group for Stubby owners and wanabe Stubby owners, a large
knowledge base in the group, and it is a bunch of good people and turners who are happy to be
of help if something comes up. Most would be happy to allow a prospective large lathe owner
a test drive in their shop.

On the outside chance that something needs 'factory' support, the manufacturer of the machine
is a member of the Internet group and he will jump in. When we are getting ready for dinner
in St Louis he is beginning the next work day. So for those of us who do much of our
Internet communication during the evening, there isn't even the expected time delay between
question and answer. From experience, the distance is a non-issue, I think.

Bill Rubenstein
Stubby Lathe USA, Inc.

In article , says...
Ray Sandusky wrote:
[...]

Joe Fleming

Linear space could be a consideration. The Stubby needs about 4 ft of
running space and a couple of more "available" when you want to extend
the bed. The Oneway will take 8 to 10 ft if you buy one of the two
the outboard attachments and allow for standing space on the outboard
end. The Vicmarc 300 longbed allow for 50" between centers, plus,
with its outboard attachment, you need a bunch of linear ft also.

Joe Fleming - San Diego

David Wade wrote in message ...
Ray Sandusky wrote:
[...]

Leo Lichtman

I am a Stubby owner, and a member of the Stubby group. Bill Rubenstein, who
is the new US Stubby distributor, is the primary moderator of the Stubby
group. While I have not met Bill personally, we have become "Internet"
friends. Bill, and all the others I know through the group are a great
bunch--I don't see how you could run into any trouble due to lack of
support. Bill, in particular, seems to be a stickler for detail. Since
John Jordan intends to continue selling Stubbys, I expect the support will
be better than ever.

On another note, two of my close friends have Stubbys, and several have
One-ways. All are happy. One of my friends has one of each. He added the
Stubby after owning the One-way for some time. I believe his main reason
was the sliding/swinging bed, which makes it possible for him to do
hollowing, using a stabilized boring system. On a wide hollow-form with a
narrow opening, the boring bar needs support off the lathe axis. The range
available on the Stubby can be can be quite wide, because the tool rest can
be supported well off the lathe axis.

The One-way, with the outboard auxiliary bed, is really two lathes, and if
you have plenty of room it is a very versatile setup. You can actually have
two jobs mounted at once, if you so desire.

When you buy a One-way, the spindle height is built into the lathe. After
that, if you need a different height, you have to stand on a platform, or
put the lathe on blocks. The Stubby 750 with the Jordan style stand is very
easily adjusted to any height. If someone else wants to use the lathe, in
about 15 minutes, the height can be reset.

Usual disclaimer: I have no connection with the lathe business, or any
parties involved, except warm feelings for all.

Martin Rost

"Earl" wrote in message
om...
I have never used a Oneway so can't say anything about them. I took a
three day class from Christian Burchard (who use's a Oneway in his own
shop!) in a High School that had Stubby's.

{Snip}

Earl

A High School shop with Stubby's, very impressive. What school district?
Martin

Bud

I want to thank all for your input. Many of you have given me a lot
to think about. My Decision? Well I still don't know as of yet, but I
don't think I would go wrong either way and would be happy with an
Oneway or Stubby. I will consider many ideas that were thrown out and
look at those that pertain to my needs the most. Let's see, eenny
meennie minee moe……. Actually I'll be seeing A JJ Demonstration very
soon, maybe I'll even get more input then. Thank you all and safe
turning!

Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Martin Rost" rostmartin @ hot mail . com wrote:

A High School shop with Stubby's, very impressive. What school district?

In southern Oregon, Ashland. I too have heard first-hand from Christian
that the school he uses for his hands-on workshops use Stubbys though he
uses a Oneway in his shop.