Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi, the German discounter

"JAB" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 07:57:02 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

Unless a state law prohibits cash pricing being lower than credit card
sales.

It may not make any difference to the customer but it may make a big
difference to the retailer's profit if the merchant charges on cards is
a lot more expensive than handling cash

At USA fuel stops (convenience stores), a cash customer must walk into
store to pay. When this happens, the merchant can realize greater
profits since items bought within store will have a higher profit
margin.

Paying at the fuel pump, via credit card, does not insure the customer
will come into the store.

Hence, cash customers bring higher profits since many credit card
customers "fill-and-leave."

Again, I know of one US state that bans cash discounts...cash or
credit card is same price.

And you fools were stupid enough to let them do that and didn't
give the bums the bums rush at the ballot box come the next election.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
but the Aldi variant was awful

tim

I tried it once, it was disgusting.
Two years ago the wife mistakenly bought a jar of it. It is still in the
cupboard - unopened.

How do you know it's awful then?

--
*OK, so what's the speed of dark? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2018 18:43, Rod Speed wrote:
Bob Eager wrote
JAB wrote
alan_m wrote

In this case maybe cash is a valid alternative for some retailers.

Unless a state law prohibits cash pricing being lower than credit
card sales.

That is happening in the UK - next week.

Nope, what is actually happening is a ban of paying more when you pay
with a card.

The article I read didn't say there was any reason why you couldn't get
a discount with cash.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
news
On 06/01/2018 18:43, Rod Speed wrote:
Bob Eager wrote
JAB wrote
alan_m wrote

In this case maybe cash is a valid alternative for some retailers.

Unless a state law prohibits cash pricing being lower than credit card
sales.

That is happening in the UK - next week.

Nope, what is actually happening is a ban of paying more when you pay
with a card.

The article I read didn't say there was any reason why you couldn't get a
discount with cash.

Yep, JAB ****ed that up too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JAB JAB is offline

On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 12:06:26 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Yep, JAB ****ed that up too.

Been passing thru too many doors recently?

Why Do We Forget What We're Doing The Moment We Enter A Room?

Do you ever go into another room for a specific reason only to find
you've forgotten what that reason is, even if only for a moment?

This is known as the Doorway Effect, and a vast majority of people
have experienced the Doorway Effect at one time or another in their
lives, if not on a daily basis, and it means your mind is working just
fine.

The Doorway Effect is thought to be a way for our brains to pay
attention to new details and free up memory space for new information:

http://www.neatorama.com/2017/06/12/...-Enter-A-Room/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JAB wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yep, JAB ****ed that up too.

Been passing thru too many doors recently?

Nope, no doors inside my house I use much at all.

Why Do We Forget What We're Doing The Moment We Enter A Room?

Yes, that does explain quite a bit of your stupidity.

Do you ever go into another room for a specific reason only to find
you've forgotten what that reason is, even if only for a moment?

Nope.

This is known as the Doorway Effect, and a vast majority of people
have experienced the Doorway Effect at one time or another in their
lives, if not on a daily basis, and it means your mind is working just
fine.

The Doorway Effect is thought to be a way for our brains to pay
attention to new details and free up memory space for new information:

http://www.neatorama.com/2017/06/12/...-Enter-A-Room/

All completely irrelevant to that ****up of yours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bert wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave writes
On Friday, 5 January 2018 14:08:30 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)Â* wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â* Huge wrote:
Hardly DIY is it, why don't the supermarkets give a small
discount to
customers who do it themselves?

Which is one of the reasons I generally won't use self-service
checkouts.

With most of those round here, you have the option of queueing up for a
checkout, or sailing straight through self service .

Why do you think they make you queue ?
Is it because it's cheaper for them or is better for you ?

(I hardly ever shop at
busy times).

Some of us don't have that choice, my flatmate used to go to tescos at
about 5am she said there was hardly anyone there.

.I value time wasted in queueing more than putting one over on
the supermarket coffers.

I'm not intereted in that either. Years ago an ASDA open up near me so
I gave it a try they had about 30 till points (before self service
existed) but they only had 4 or 5 open quite a few peole were getting
agitated by the 5+ queues at each checkout, so I walekd off saying to
someone workign their that they can either take my money at the till
or get someone to put the stuff back on the shelves all I got was a
sorry we are short of staff so I walked out leaving my basket on the
floor.

I've noticed that 1 in 3 have a problem with self service, when I'm
ready to pay I look at the queues in sainsbury and I almost always get
out of the store quicker if I use staffed checkouts They have one Q
for the self service that leads to about 8 tills. I can make a mental
note of the last person in that Q and genrally speaking I can join a
staffed till andÂ* get out the shop before I would have if I'd joined
the self scanning Q.

In the future I suppose hat they might decide not to bother putting
stuff on shelves but just leave it on the palletes, maybe get poele to
go to the lorry and help themselves.
Remmeber self service arren;t there to make the customers life better
it's to increase profits by employing less staff, using the customer
as the robot.

Nonsense. Self service was introduced for theÂ* benefit of customers with
a small number of items so they didn't have to queue behind a large
trolley. It's ruined by the dickheads who put a trolley load through at
about 1 tenth of the speed of a manned checkout.

codswallop it was introduced because they thought thought there was
money to be made, shops never do anything for our benefit unless there
is money in it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 06/01/2018 03:34, FMurtz wrote:
wrote:
On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 01:03:31 -0800 (PST), fred
wrote:

Because it would slow things down, their tills operate at the speed of
light, and with the queues they need to!

No . What slows down checkouts is bloody women who (a) wont look for
their purse until asked to pay and (b) then spend 1/2 hour looking
for that last penny in said purse.

And while doing so find a forgotten voucher for 5p off a different
brand of Coffee to the one they bought and send accompanying brat back
to the aisles to swap it over, the cashier then points out the voucher
has expired andÂ* the brand is more expensive and the search for some
pennies starts again.

G.Harman

And block the queue with their trolley or body leaving yards of
inaccessible empty belt.

Worse is taking the whole extended family shopping, having one trolley
with the shopping but them all standing in the queue at the checkout belt.

Then there is the person after loading the belt and reached the till has
found that they have forgotten the milk and sends their partner off to
"quickly" fetch it. 10 minutes later they return with the milk and a
dozen more items. I have seen in a Lidl branch where the till operator
has waited too long telling the customer to pay for what has already
been rung up and the missing partner returning with extra goods to join
the end of the queue.

Possibly those with financial problems, but people who only judge what
they can afford at the till by asking the till operator to cancel and
return items once rung up. It wouldn't be too bad if it was the odd item
but it does often seem to be people with £1.50 in their pocket to spend
turn up at the checkout with £100 worth of goods in a trolley, including
luxury items.

When you have a trolley full of goods NEVER let the person behind you
with only one item go in front. They will always have one of the few
items in the store that doesn't have a readable bar code. A second
member of staff has to be found to get another of the same item with a
readable code only to find that the customer has picked the last one in
the store.

We do not have that problem, I am glad that Australians do not hold your
view, and I doubt many British do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
but the Aldi variant was awful

tim

I tried it once, it was disgusting.
Two years ago the wife mistakenly bought a jar of it. It is still in the
cupboard - unopened.

How do you know it's awful then?

You may want to read again what he wrote...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
FMurtz wrote:
Nonsense. Self service was introduced for the benefit of customers
with a small number of items so they didn't have to queue behind a
large trolley. It's ruined by the dickheads who put a trolley load
through at about 1 tenth of the speed of a manned checkout.

codswallop it was introduced because they thought thought there was
money to be made, shops never do anything for our benefit unless there
is money in it.

When you use a supermarket, you do pretty well everything yourself. Why is
scanning the items to pay your bill in anyway different?

--
*Plagiarism saves time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JAB JAB is offline

On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 15:49:59 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

All completely irrelevant

Take a break,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iYpboTjtoQ

And remember, you can't fix stupid.

Rutter: Science finally proves you can't fix stupid - If you look
around the room at the gaggle of relatives and strangers occupying the
space and cannot immediately identify who the stupid one is, it's a
good bet the stupid one is you....Meet Cornell University psychologist
David Dunning, our new most totally favorite scientist. He's spent 15
years studying stupid people.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...203-story.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JAB" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 15:49:59 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

All completely irrelevant

Take a break,

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 January 2018 17:26:51 UTC, charles wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 5 January 2018 16:36:51 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jan 2018 08:04:19 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

In the future I suppose hat they might decide not to bother putting
stuff on shelves but just leave it on the palletes, maybe get poele to
go to the lorry and help themselves.

It's been done. Shopper's Paradise wasn't far off that.

and then what we go to farms to pick our own that'll save money too will
it ?

It might save money or it might not, but you get good quality fruit freshly
picked.

Makes you wonder why everyone doesn't do it ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 January 2018 18:42:31 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 5 January 2018 14:08:30 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:
Hardly DIY is it, why don't the supermarkets give a small discount to
customers who do it themselves?

Which is one of the reasons I generally won't use self-service
checkouts.

With most of those round here, you have the option of queueing up for a
checkout, or sailing straight through self service .

Why do you think they make you queue ?
Is it because it's cheaper for them or is better for you ?

(I hardly ever shop at busy times).

Some of us don't have that choice,

Everyone does.

No they don't as some of us have a job where they won't allow us to shop while we are employed to work.

my flatmate used to go to tescos at about 5am she said there was hardly
anyone there.

Trouble is that one of our supermarkets doesnt have the self checkouts
open when there are so few customers in the supermarket.

Why do yuo thinbk that is ?
Surely with less cusotmers it would be better to have less or zero staff.

They are
careful to have just one person at the front of the supermarket then
and she runs the one open manned checkout.

Why, why have any staff ?

If they had the self
checkouts open, they would need an extra person at the front.

Why ?

Is the self checkouts are any good why do you need someone there to check over it ?

They have one Q for the self service that leads to about 8 tills.
I can make a mental note of the last person in that Q

I normally use the supermarket when there is no queue
at the self checkouts, there are free self checkouts.

when is that ?

and genrally speaking I can join a staffed till and get out
the shop before I would have if I'd joined the self scanning Q.

Then you should use the supermarket when its not so busy.

It's usualy closed then, or I don;t like shoping after 9pm.

Remmeber self service arren;t there to make the customers life better it's
to increase profits by employing less staff, using the customer as the
robot.

But you do benefit anyway if you have enough of
a clue to use the supermarket when its not busy.

Why do you think there are times when it is not busy ?
You're to dumb to work it out aren't you, it's because few peolpe want to shop at those times such as 3am in the morning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 January 2018 18:55:16 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 5 January 2018 16:36:51 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jan 2018 08:04:19 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

In the future I suppose hat they might decide not to bother putting
stuff on shelves but just leave it on the palletes, maybe get poele to
go to the lorry and help themselves.

It's been done. Shopper's Paradise wasn't far off that.

and then what we go to farms to pick our own that'll save money too will
it ?

I do just that with the limes and lemons I use for the marmalade run
every 2 years. Vastly cheaper than getting them from the supermarket.

I wouldn't waste my time making such things when I can buy them.
I don;t make my own tea bags either.

Used to do that with the nectarines too but the grower only did it one year.

Not for me I don't mind paying for someone to pick my fruit,
pack it, store it, put it on the shelf locally to me where I can
pick it up, take it to a checkout person then take it home.

Some of us have enough of a clue to show up at the supermarket when
its not busy and use the self checkout so we waste no time in a queue.

Some of us have better things to do than go out to supermarkets for a day out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Huge wrote

Hardly DIY is it, why don't the supermarkets give a
small discount to customers who do it themselves?

Which is one of the reasons I generally
won't use self-service checkouts.

With most of those round here, you have the option of queueing
up for a checkout, or sailing straight through self service .

Why do you think they make you queue ?
Is it because it's cheaper for them or is better for you ?

(I hardly ever shop at busy times).

Some of us don't have that choice,

Everyone does.

No they don't as some of us have a job where they
won't allow us to shop while we are employed to work.

Even those who work 12-14 hour shifts still find that
some shops are open outside those work hours.

I said why that is in the next sentence, ****wit.

Surely with less cusotmers it would
be better to have less or zero staff.

It actually makes more sense to have just self checkouts,
no manned checkouts and thats what some of ours do.

Because ****wits like you wouldnt bother to use the checkout
at all, just walk out with anything that takes your fancy, ****wit.

If they had the self checkouts open, they
would need an extra person at the front.

Why ?

Because ****wits like you wouldnt bother to use the checkout
at all, just walk out with anything that takes your fancy, ****wit.

Is the self checkouts are any good why do
you need someone there to check over it ?

Because ****wits like you wouldnt bother to use the checkout
at all, just walk out with anything that takes your fancy, ****wit.

They have one Q for the self service that leads to about 8 tills.
I can make a mental note of the last person in that Q

I normally use the supermarket when there is no queue
at the self checkouts, there are free self checkouts.

when is that ?

Even on saturday morning, up till about 10:30 am at least and
after about 7pm and quite a bit of the time during the day too.

and genrally speaking I can join a staffed till and get out
the shop before I would have if I'd joined the self scanning Q.

Then you should use the supermarket when its not so busy.

It's usualy closed then,

Bull**** it is.

or I don;t like shoping after 9pm.

I dont believe any of your supermarkets are busy from 7am to 9pm.

Remmeber self service arren;t there to make the customers
life better it's to increase profits by employing less staff,
using the customer as the robot.

Thats what all supermarkets are about, stupid.

But you do benefit anyway if you have enough of
a clue to use the supermarket when its not busy.

Why do you think there are times when it is not busy ?

Because most are too stupid to shop when they arent busy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 5 January 2018 18:55:16 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 5 January 2018 16:36:51 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jan 2018 08:04:19 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

In the future I suppose hat they might decide not to bother putting
stuff on shelves but just leave it on the palletes, maybe get poele
go to the lorry and help themselves.

It's been done. Shopper's Paradise wasn't far off that.

and then what we go to farms to pick our own that'll save money too
will
it ?

I do just that with the limes and lemons I use for the marmalade run
every 2 years. Vastly cheaper than getting them from the supermarket.

I wouldn't waste my time making such things when I can buy them.

I started making it when they stopped making the best marmalade
and relish and mine leaves what they used make for dead too.

And it takes **** all time, half a day every 2 years.

Used to do that with the nectarines too but the grower only did it one
year.

Not for me I don't mind paying for someone to pick my fruit,
pack it, store it, put it on the shelf locally to me where I can
pick it up, take it to a checkout person then take it home.

Some of us have enough of a clue to show up at the supermarket when
its not busy and use the self checkout so we waste no time in a queue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JAB JAB is offline

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 06:12:32 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Take a break,

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag, stupid.

Sorry, not my discipline...but just for you

https://vimeo.com/105121278
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JAB wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Take a break,

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag, stupid.

Sorry, not my discipline...

Obvious lie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JAB JAB is offline

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 12:12:45 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag, stupid.

Sorry, not my discipline...

Obvious lie.

There is a difference between a bull**** artist and a liar.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1248...trump-not-liar

Take a break, again....

When My Train Pulls In

https://www.nowness.com/story/gary-c...train-pulls-in

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JAB wrote
Rod Speed wrote

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag, stupid.

Sorry, not my discipline...

Obvious lie.

There is a difference between a bull**** artist and a liar.

And you are clearly both.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JAB JAB is offline

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 15:36:58 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

And you are clearly both.

With that statement, article suggests one is a bull**** artist.

Last comment,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9434BoGkNQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some gutless ****wit bull**** artist and liar desperately cowering behind
JAB wrote just you'd expect from a desperately
cowering ****wit bull**** artist and liar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

I just made some melon and lemon and melon and pineapple jam.
it can not be bought here any more,IXL used to have tins, neither can
the jam melons(citron melon), I had to import the seeds and grow my own
melons.
The shops stopped selling them 40 or 50 years ago(green grocer said some
immigrants bought them thinking they would be edible and then complained
and I suppose people stopped making jam so he stopped selling them)
Maybe Tasmania may sell them?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 8 January 2018 17:21:38 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

Some shops but perhaps not the one that you want to use.
When do you car to your yard sales ?

A few years ago I couldn't get to the post office as it was only open during working hours and closed lunchtime.

my flatmate used to go to tescos at about
5am she said there was hardly anyone there.

Trouble is that one of our supermarkets doesnt have the self checkouts
open when there are so few customers in the supermarket.

Why do yuo thinbk that is ?

I said why that is in the next sentence, ****wit.

All the other stores were closed at that time, and now they have closed that Tescos so if my flatmate was still here she wouldnlt be able to shop in tescos at 5am as few peole want to shop at those times.
So the supermarkets tend to be open at busy times and shutting at none busy times that is the point.

Surely with less cusotmers it would
be better to have less or zero staff.

It actually makes more sense to have just self checkouts,
no manned checkouts and thats what some of ours do.

Ours don't open when there's no staff.

They are careful to have just one person at the front of the
supermarket then and she runs the one open manned checkout.

Why, why have any staff ?

Because ****wits like you wouldnt bother to use the checkout
at all, just walk out with anything that takes your fancy, ****wit.

better to shut the shop then isn't it.

I normally use the supermarket when there is no queue
at the self checkouts, there are free self checkouts.

when is that ?

Even on saturday morning, up till about 10:30 am at least.

If yuo work Friday night from 9pm till 5am in a nightclub you don;t always feel like shopping saturday morning, most near me are very busy saturday it one of the peak shopping days for most because for most it's a day off.

If you want to go down the market europes longest then you go saturday afternoon
and
after about 7pm and quite a bit of the time during the day too.

Most shop durint teh day, that is why the shops are open during the day.

and genrally speaking I can join a staffed till and get out
the shop before I would have if I'd joined the self scanning Q.

Then you should use the supermarket when its not so busy.

It's usualy closed then,

Bull**** it is.

Yes it is, thgat's why they close it.
Perhaps this is why the Aple stores and most computer stores are closed at midnight when the clubs start to get busy and everyone else is heading to bed.

or I don;t like shoping after 9pm.

I dont believe any of your supermarkets are busy from 7am to 9pm..

Probbably not depending on what you mean by busy.

Yesterday 1pmish I was standing in a Q of 3 peolpe one self checkout was faulty the other could't give change, when it but up to 5 in the Q for 1 checkout they opened another staffed checkout, not sure if you call that busy or not but I'm not wasting 10mins of my lunchtime standing in a Q.

Remmeber self service arren;t there to make the customers
life better it's to increase profits by employing less staff,
using the customer as the robot.

Thats what all supermarkets are about, stupid.

Then I expect a discount for scanning my own goods packing my own goods.
I have to pay someoen to cook for me aka fastfood and I expect to pay extra for good service but not extra for prro service.

if I scan the goods in myself I expect them cheaper or to get some deal such as reward points otherwise I'll get the employees to do the work the same way they do when stacking sheleves.
Remeber they charge for delivers which includes packing why should I pay extra to pack the goods myself ?

But you do benefit anyway if you have enough of
a clue to use the supermarket when its not busy.

Why do you think there are times when it is not busy ?

Because most are too stupid to shop when they arent busy.

No it;s because it;s not convient for most people to shop then.
The most convient shopping time last week was saturday afternoon when there were two big football matches on TV FA cup or something it'll be even quiter on the streets on the day of the FA cup an idea time to shop in the larger supermarkets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
[...]

Because they are easy to thieve from.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
A few years ago I couldn't get to the post office as it was only open during working hours and closed lunchtime.

You'll find that much worse now, then. ;-)

--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 January 2018 12:23:04 UTC, FMurtz wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

Some of us have better things to do than go out to supermarkets for a day out.

I just made some melon and lemon and melon and pineapple jam.

Good for you.

Lsst night about 11:30pm I had a cockel sandwhich they don't make them in the shops where I buy my lunch they don;t have them in the college cafes and we have a few cafes here, there's a number of fast food outlets nearby too.
Locally we have 2 co-ops, 2 sainsburys, a subways a couple of burger joints a KFC a greedy cow. nandos and a number of other small food outlets.

it can not be bought here any more,IXL used to have tins, neither can
the jam melons(citron melon), I had to import the seeds and grow my own
melons.

I used to make my own cocktails because they didn't serve them in the club I went to, use to smuggle in a 37.5CL bottle of it premixed sometimes a 50cl bottle.
When I used to go to the hippadrome and camden palace it was a small bottle of ribena and a half bottle of captain morgan or 1/2 bottle of bacardi.
Yes rum was my favorite drink in the 80s and no one called me whisky dave then for some strange reason.

The shops stopped selling them 40 or 50 years ago(green grocer said some
immigrants bought them thinking they would be edible and then complained
and I suppose people stopped making jam so he stopped selling them)
Maybe Tasmania may sell them?

I'm pretty sure I can buy melons, pinapples and lemons.
Last week I had melon slices luncthtine from the co-op in one of those little snake pots, they do grape & straberrys, pinapple and other such stuff even pommigranate seeds.
Perhaps where you live they don't do exotic fruits such as melon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2018-01-04, stuart noble wrote:
On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 2:15:52 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:
Because it would slow things down, their tills operate at the speed of
light,

Another reason not to go there, then. What's the point if the checkout
operators go faster than you can pack?

You put everything back in the trolley and pack at the car.

No. *You* are welcome to repeatedly fill and empty your trolley. I'll go
to a supermarket where they understand who pays their wages.

Excellent. And leave clear those where the idea is to make the shopping
'experience' as brief as possible. Which also requires customers with a
similar desire.

I'm surprised you don't shop at Harrods. Perhaps they still employ people
to open the doors for you too there.

--
*'ome is where you 'ang your @ *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

[...]

Melons are not exotic, they are extremely common

Just not jam melons

A particular type of melon,
They sell all sorts of melons here, probably more than you have,but not
jam melons (citron melons)
UK may sell them , They do use them in USA and call them pie melons.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Jan 2018 17:33:54 GMT, Huge wrote:

Because it would slow things down, their tills operate at the speed of
light,

Another reason not to go there, then. What's the point if the checkout
operators go faster than you can pack?

You put everything back in the trolley and pack at the car.

No. *You* are welcome to repeatedly fill and empty your trolley. I'll go
to a supermarket where they understand who pays their wages.

To return to this I visited a Lidl this afternoon which has only been
open a few months.

End of the belt line ends in a storage area similar but larger than
many of the older supermarkets, the recess where you used to nose a
trolley in as found in the older style Lidl stores is no longer there.

The packing shelf set along a glass wall a yard or two beyond the the
tills is much reduced in depth in fact though you could put some
items on it while you tranfer items from trolley to bags putting a
cardboard box obtained from the pile left by the shelf stackers for
that purpose as was once done would be restricted to quite small
boxes.
Infact its main purpose now may just be to protect the glass glazing
from knocks from trolleys.

Some will miss he old style way which made for extremly fast shopping
before Lidl became acceptable to visit without a disguise for members
of Mumsnet but its plain that Lidl managment see that the old method
no longer suits the market it wants to serve and has adapted.
It also has I mentioned up thread self service tills for those who
want to play shop assistants.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2018 11:35, whisky-dave wrote:

You're to dumb to work it out aren't you, it's because few peolpe want to shop at those times such as 3am in the morning.

At 3am the isles in supermarkets are full of cages full of the stuff
from which they are restocking the shelves - often not a good shopping
experience

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Yeah, had the same problem with seville oranges, used only for marmalade,
you
cant eat them. This is one of the biggest orange growing areas in the
country and
a mate of mine is a major orange grower and no one grows them at all
anymore.

And IXL is the buggers that used to so a very decent lemon and
lime marmalade at one time, but doesnt anymore. Thats why I
started doing my own and mine leaves their for dead too.

Vastly cheaper now too, I get a full picking bucket of limes and lemons
straight off the trees for just $5 and that lasts me for 2 years. Thats the
only breakfast I have now, a ****ing great slab of my own multigrain
toast, so thick it will only just fit in the toaster deliberately bought to
do the thickest toast, with my lemon and lime marmalade.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Even sillier than you usually manage. The normal supermarkets
are open from 7am till midnight. Plenty of time for even those
on 12 or 14 hour shifts to use them.

When do you car to your yard sales ?

Normally head out at 5:30am for the ones that are sposed to start
at 7am. Many do open a full hour before their advertised time.

A few years ago I couldn't get to the post office as it was
only open during working hours and closed lunchtime.

Ours was never stupid enough to close for lunch and thats
irrelevant to supermarkets that never did and were always
open for much longer than normal 9-5 working hours.

One of ours is open all day Xmas day too, tho the main national
ones are closed Xmas day. The only day they are closed.

my flatmate used to go to tescos at about
5am she said there was hardly anyone there.

Trouble is that one of our supermarkets doesnt
have the self checkouts open when there are so
few customers in the supermarket.

Why do yuo thinbk that is ?

I said why that is in the next sentence, ****wit.

All the other stores were closed at that time,

One of our two biggest national supermarket chains did open
24/7 for while, but dont anymore. Now 7am till midnight.

Aldi opens a bit later, 8:30am and only till 8pm. Still plenty for
those on even 12 or 14 hour shifts, because those normally do
include the overnight hours. The cops do 12 hour shifts.

and now they have closed that Tescos so if my flatmate
was still here she wouldnlt be able to shop in tescos at
5am as few peole want to shop at those times.

Sure, but ours can shop at 7am so there are
always plenty of free self checkouts and still
plenty of time to go to work after the shopping.

So the supermarkets tend to be open at busy times
and shutting at none busy times that is the point.

Thats clearly not true when they are open from
7am till midnight, still plenty of non busy time
even for those who work and even for those
who have 12 or 14 hour shift work.

I normally use the supermarket when there is no queue
at the self checkouts, there are free self checkouts.

when is that ?

Even on saturday morning, up till about 10:30 am at least.

If yuo work Friday night from 9pm till 5am in a nightclub
you don;t always feel like shopping saturday morning,

There are obviously other days of the
week for those to do their shopping.

And oddly enough the supermarkets are
open on those days for some reason.

most near me are very busy saturday it one of the peak
shopping days for most because for most it's a day off.

Yes, but if you have enough of a clue to do the shopping
early on that day, there are still plenty of free self checkouts.

And hordes of ours do their weekly shopping on sunday now too.

If you want to go down the market europes longest
then you go saturday afternoon and after about 7pm
and quite a bit of the time during the day too.

Try that again in english when not completely blotto, again.

Most shop durint teh day,

And no supermarket is very busy all day every day.

and genrally speaking I can join a staffed till and get out
the shop before I would have if I'd joined the self scanning Q.

Then you should use the supermarket when its not so busy.

It's usualy closed then,

Bull**** it is.

Yes it is, thgat's why they close it.

Its stupid to claim that any supermarket is only
ever very busy with no free self checkouts or closed.

or I don;t like shoping after 9pm.

I dont believe any of your supermarkets are busy from 7am to 9pm.

Probbably not depending on what you mean by busy.

Free self checkouts.

Yesterday 1pmish I was standing in a Q of 3 peolpe one
self checkout was faulty the other could't give change,
when it but up to 5 in the Q for 1 checkout they opened
another staffed checkout, not sure if you call that busy or not
but I'm not wasting 10mins of my lunchtime standing in a Q.

So its stupid to be doing your shopping at lunchtime, stupid.

Remmeber self service arren;t there to make the
customers life better it's to increase profits by
employing less staff, using the customer as the robot.

Thats what all supermarkets are about, stupid.

Then I expect a discount for scanning my own goods packing my own goods.

More fool you. You get lower prices on what
you buy because their checkout costs are lower.

if I scan the goods in myself I expect them cheaper

They are cheaper for everyone, because the
cost of running all the checkouts is lower.

or to get some deal such as reward points otherwise I'll get the
employees to do the work the same way they do when stacking sheleves.

But you choose to use a supermarket where you put the stuff
into your trolley or basket yourself, instead of telling the monkey
behind the counter what you want and have them put it in your
trolley or bag on the counter without any discount or reward points.

But you do benefit anyway if you have enough of
a clue to use the supermarket when its not busy.

Why do you think there are times when it is not busy ?

Because most are too stupid to shop when they arent busy.

No it;s because it;s not convient for most people to shop then.

Bull**** with saturday arvo and sunday for most people.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

[...]

Jam melons arent normal melons.

Last week I had melon slices luncthtine from the co-op in one
of those little snake pots, they do grape & straberrys, pinapple
and other such stuff even pommigranate seeds.
Perhaps where you live they don't do exotic fruits such as melon.

Plenty of melons, just not jam melons.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2018 11:23, Peter Hill wrote:
On 04-Jan-18 9:50 AM, stuart noble wrote:
Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store? I've never
seen "discounted" goods in their stores, and they don't try and
bamboozle you with BOGOF deals, loyalty cards and all that rubbish. In
fact that's probably why they're so successful. That and applying
commonsense to their strategy.
The late Andy Hall must be turning in his grave, having predicted that
the Lidl/Aldi style of retailing would never catch on.

It's not a discount supermarket. It's a budget supermarket.

Only half true these days, the "quality" food and wine compares well
with the big players.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JAB JAB is offline

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 20:18:50 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Some...artist....

Addendum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYoNL4g5Vg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some pathetic excuse for a lying bull**** artist desperately cowering behind
JAB wrote just what you'd expect from a desperately
cowering pathetic excuse for a lying bull**** artist and terminal ****wit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pamela wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Some gutless ****wit bull**** artist and liar desperately
cowering behind JAB wrote just you'd
expect from a desperately cowering ****wit bull**** artist and liar.

Blimey. How can I tell you just lost another argument?

Even you should be able to manage better than
that pathetically hoary old line, lying remoaner.

Obviously not.