Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi, the German discounter

In article ,
jim k wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 04/01/2018 11:44, alan_m wrote:
On 04/01/2018 11:18, Huge wrote:

Another reason not to go there, then. What's the point if the checkout
operators go faster than you can pack?
#

That's ok - the type of service you expect ****es off a lot of shoppers
in these stores.when delaying the checkout process.

You are not meant to pack at the checkout - you put the items back in
the trolley and then pack at the shelf area set aside for the purpose.

Which is fine in theory, except you are now lifting stuff in and out of
the trolley twice.

"in your own good time" rather than all others' following....

Shurely if you only have a basket full you have to pack in real
time as there's no basket to put the stuff back in (as you've
left it at the start of the conveyor in the stack)?

You bring your own bags

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 13:20:07 UTC, jim wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Thursday, 4 January 2018 10:40:09 UTC, tim... wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in message
Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store?

because its MO is to sell exclusively no-name "discount" products.

Which is what in Germany is exactly what it does

but here, the UK obsession with "brands" means that they have to stock some
of them.

I went to aldi to get some bisto but they didn;t have any, only their own brand so I left and went to the local corner shop.

Bisto sends hugs.

Well they do put the ingredients on the label, because having a veggie cooking for you means they don't like to use meat products and the bisto gravy actually says on the tin(made from carboard) that it is vegatarian even the red version rather than just the green vegatable gravy which IMHO isn't as tastey as the red.
When I went to check on whether or not the aldi equivalant was Veggie or not there was no symbol so I tried reading the list of ingredients but unfortunatly I'd left my pocket electron microscope in my other coat, so gave up and the local shop was closer than me going home to collect my microscope and returning.

The aldi verion was about twice the size and 85p compared to the £1.29 or so I paid for the bisto.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 13:38:08 UTC, charles wrote:
On 04/01/2018 11:18, Huge wrote:

Another reason not to go there, then. What's the point if the checkout
operators go faster than you can pack?
#

That's ok - the type of service you expect ****es off a lot of shoppers
in these stores.when delaying the checkout process.

You are not meant to pack at the checkout - you put the items back in
the trolley and then pack at the shelf area set aside for the purpose.

Which is fine in theory, except you are now lifting stuff in and out of
the trolley twice.

"in your own good time" rather than all others' following....

Shurely if you only have a basket full you have to pack in real
time as there's no basket to put the stuff back in (as you've
left it at the start of the conveyor in the stack)?

You bring your own bags

How does that help ?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
Because it would slow things down, their tills operate at the speed of
light,

Another reason not to go there, then. What's the point if the checkout
operators go faster than you can pack?

You put everything back in the trolley and pack at the car. If they are
too fast for you to keep up.

Which is why I like self service. Don't get stuck in a queue of those with
all the time in the world.

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2018 12:28, Bob Eager wrote:

Because you're meant to put it back in the trolley and then pack at
your leisure.

A deeply **** idea.

I actually like it, because I get the chance to sort it all out as I want.

Sometimes I need to separate out particular purchases into separate bags;
much easier in my own time. And given that (apart from the thick mummies)
most people pack that way, the checkouts run really fast.

I just load stuff on to the conveyor in the order I want it packed - so
frozen first, fridge next, etc - that way I can just fill bags in real
time at the other end.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 2:15:52 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:
Because it would slow things down, their tills operate at the speed of
light,

Another reason not to go there, then. What's the point if the checkout
operators go faster than you can pack?

You put everything back in the trolley and pack at the car. If they are
too fast for you to keep up.

Which is why I like self service. Don't get stuck in a queue of those with
all the time in the world.

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Fact is, Aldi/Lidl have got more things right than the other supermarkets. Bigger isn't better, and both staff and customers benefit from the smaller scale. They pay well too, and it shows.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pamela wrote:
Which is fine in theory, except you are now lifting stuff in and
out of the trolley twice.

My sister sees it the same way too and, as she worked in retail
marketing, is full of advice to the checkout operator on how to
have happier customers.

I explain to her Lidl and Aldi are not a social service but
commercial organisations and if you don't like the way they
organise things then shop somewhere else.

Some might also choose to shop elsewhere when held up by the person in
front packing things oh so carefully before even thinking about how
they're going to pay.

--
*I must always remember that I'm unique, just like everyone else. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-01-04, Andy Burns wrote:
Huge wrote:

Self-scan and self-checkout (which is theoretically possible in Tesco)
would be awesome, except that you can't buy alcohol that way because
a member of staff has to check that you're over 18

You can't even buy alcohol-free beer which all claim to be less than
0.1% on the label, despite (IIRC) it being legal for people of all ages
to buy shandy type drinks with up to 0.5% alcohol.

****wit computer programmers "gold plating" the ****witted alcohol
laws, probably.

More likely Government threatening behaviour towards stores - hence the
"check 25" policy where staff are supposed to check anyone not obviously
well over the legal age - and, if you have kids with you, assume you may
give booze to them.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2018 11:18, Huge wrote:

Another reason not to go there, then. What's the point if the checkout
operators go faster than you can pack?
#

That's ok - the type of service you expect ****es off a lot of shoppers
in these stores.when delaying the checkout process.

You are not meant to pack at the checkout - you put the items back in
the trolley and then pack at the shelf area set aside for the purpose.

I suspect as it reduces staff costs because they need fewer staff that
other supermarkets will soon start adopting the same policies in order
to become more completive. Aldi/Lidl have proved that shoppers are more
than prepared to accept fast checkouts, no loyalty cards, no delays when
handing out useless bits of paper to support schools etc. Judging by the
number of expensive cars in Alsi/Lidl car parks these days its not only
the "poor" that use these stores.

Many years ago Asda had a system where the checkouts had no conveyors or
packing area - the operator just took the items out of one trolley, put
the price into the machine - no bar codes then I think - and put the
item into another trolley waiting, and you wheeled that one away. Your
old trolley was turned around for the next customer.

I don't know why they abandoned such a simple system.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

"And did those feet in ancient time..."

(I wonder how many people know why Blake's famous poem appears to begin
with "and"?)

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2018 14:49, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Huge

On 2018-01-04, Broadback wrote:

Because it would slow things down, their tills operate at the speed
of light,

Another reason not to go there, then. What's the point if the checkout
operators go faster than you can pack?

In the US of A, the checkout ops do the packing too. And it's still
quite quick because they whizz stuff through the scanners at a much
higher rate than here.

I expect they squash the tomatoes and sliced bread that you want to put
in the freezer.

Have they discovered carrier bags with handles yet?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2018 14:04, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 4 January 2018 13:20:07 UTC, jim wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:

I went to aldi to get some bisto but they didn;t have any, only their own brand so I left and went to the local corner shop.

Bisto sends hugs.

Well they do put the ingredients on the label, because having a veggie cooking for you means they don't like to use meat products and the bisto gravy actually says on the tin(made from carboard) that it is vegatarian even the red version rather than just the green vegatable gravy which IMHO isn't as tastey as the red.

What do vegetarians use Bisto for? *Original* Bisto (as opposed to the
gravy granules) is used to brown and thicken the juices from a joint or
chicken to make gravy, the flavour coming from the meat. Do vegetarians
make gravy from spinach water?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 14:14:00 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/01/2018 12:28, Bob Eager wrote:

Because you're meant to put it back in the trolley and then pack at
your leisure.

A deeply **** idea.

I actually like it, because I get the chance to sort it all out as I want.

Sometimes I need to separate out particular purchases into separate bags;
much easier in my own time. And given that (apart from the thick mummies)
most people pack that way, the checkouts run really fast.

I just load stuff on to the conveyor in the order I want it packed - so
frozen first, fridge next, etc - that way I can just fill bags in real
time at the other end.

If I run out of real time I use artificial time, you can buy it in tins that can be resealed to keep it fresh ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 15:28:00 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 04/01/2018 14:04, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 4 January 2018 13:20:07 UTC, jim wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:

I went to aldi to get some bisto but they didn;t have any, only their own brand so I left and went to the local corner shop.

Bisto sends hugs.

Well they do put the ingredients on the label, because having a veggie cooking for you means they don't like to use meat products and the bisto gravy actually says on the tin(made from carboard) that it is vegatarian even the red version rather than just the green vegatable gravy which IMHO isn't as tastey as the red.

What do vegetarians use Bisto for?

They use it for making gravy. Well some do, probbaly not all.

*Original* Bisto (as opposed to the
gravy granules) is used to brown and thicken the juices from a joint or
chicken to make gravy, the flavour coming from the meat. Do vegetarians
make gravy from spinach water?

We added boiled water as per the instructions.
Do you not know how to make gravy in this way ?

When I nuke peas or beans (green) or most greem vegtables I use the small amount of water to the gravy.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge was thinking very hard :
An idea that would stop me going there. We've only been in the local
Aldi once, in search of decaf coffee, which they didn't have, so
we left.

It works rather well, the checkouts become busy, they put more tills
on. As it quietens, staff are diverted to topping shelves up. All staff
wear a communication system so can quickly help each other out. I find
them usually quicker than Tesco/ASDA/Sainsbury etc..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns pretended :
You saved yourself from some horrid coffee.

Untrue, though I have never tried decaff. I like a good coffee and bulk
buy at Aldi as I have done for many years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Huge

On 2018-01-04, Andy Burns wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

stuart noble wrote:

The late Andy Hall must be turning in his grave, having predicted
that the Lidl/Aldi style of retailing would never catch on.

One thing puzzles me about them: why no self-service checkouts? They
are
cheaper.
A newer LiDL here has them, they're just an annoying as other
supermarkets' self-checkouts

Self-scan and self-checkout (which is theoretically possible in Tesco)

Don't know what you mean by "theoretically possible".

it's not possible in my local Tesco, theoretically or otherwise

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-01-04, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

The best tills I;ve seen are those where you have a seprators so if
someone is slow at picking up their staff then you juts sent the next
customers stuff to the other side.

Sainsbury's seemed to give up on those by the late 70's ... and the
automatic coin dispensing chutes for your change.

Does anyone pay with cash any more?

if it's less than a fiver

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Huge wrote:

We've only been in the local Aldi once, in search of decaf coffee,
which they didn't have, so we left. There isn't a local Lidl.

You saved yourself from some horrid coffee.

Yep

I quite happily buy cheap supermarket freeze dried coffee

but the Aldi variant was awful

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Andy Burns pretended :
You saved yourself from some horrid coffee.

Untrue, though I have never tried decaff. I like a good coffee and bulk
buy at Aldi as I have done for many years.

I think the one full-caff he bought was Lidl rather than Aldi (searching
for Bellarom seems to confirm it) I suppose my colleague wanted to like
it and I didn't expect to, but we both hated it, enough to throw it away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 15:21:20 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

"And did those feet in ancient time..."

(I wonder how many people know why Blake's famous poem appears to begin
with "and"?)

I know it's tempting to respond to these sig file 'humerous' aphorisms
but there's little point, even though the embedded humour 'gets old real
fast' after you've seen the 'same old same old' dozens of times before.

I have, in the past, felt impelled to pick apart the faulty logic of
some of the more absurdly irritating ones and accept that, like
advertising bill boards, they're just another of life's little
irritations best ignored as much as such things possibly can be.

It's such an irritation of certain posters, it's a wonder there isn't a
variation of the killfile that allows you to suppress all but the first
line of a sig on a poster by poster basis.

Alternatively, an anti-aphorism sig filter might be a more effective
method using an aggregation of all the aphorism databases such auto -sig
file aphorism generators rely upon plus manual entries using the
offending content of actual signatures to completely sanitise the worse
excesses by habitual offenders (they surely *must* know who they are).

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 4 January 2018 12:06:00 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 03:49:09 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 11:36:32 UTC, charles wrote:
In article , alan_m
wrote:
On 04/01/2018 10:18, wrote:

One thing puzzles me about them: why no self-service checkouts?
They are cheaper.

Are they? Possibly only in stores where the check-out staff are so
inefficient. When I use Tesco/Sainsbury/Asda I find their checkout
so slow compared to the no nonsense approach of my local
Aldi/Lidl.

Possibly, one reason is that the staff at Lidl/Aldi tend to be
foreign and don't have enough english to indulge in conversation.
But you still get the customer who has to wonder where they've put
their purse - this tends to slow things.

Thye biggest slowdown I:ve foind is the small amount of packing space
that you get at the end of the till, hardly enough space for one bag.
The best tills I;ve seen are those where you have a seprators so if
someone is slow at picking up their staff then you juts sent the next
customers stuff to the other side.

Because you're meant to put it back in the trolley and then pack at
your leisure.

I don]t use a trolly I use a basket as most people do and those that do
use a trolly there's not enough space on the counter to empty the trolly
so you actually need two trollys which take up far to much room.

The stores I use have a conveyor belt which will take the contents of two
trolleys.

I bet that's humongous

The guy in front of me before Christmas had a trolley load that he could not
get on the standard conveyer and he was struggling to find space for the
final one third so that the operator could start to scan the items.

The idea that there might be conveyers twice as long is staggering

(Fortunately whilst I was watching they opened up a new till and I got pole
position)

I must admit that I;ve never noticed anyone queuing with theri shopping
on the belt and carrying an empty basket.

No, you place the basket in the pile at the end of the belt.

They won't let you refill a basket. They have this fear that you will steal
it

tim

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
On 04/01/2018 11:18, Huge wrote:

Another reason not to go there, then. What's the point if the
checkout
operators go faster than you can pack?
#

That's ok - the type of service you expect ****es off a lot of
shoppers
in these stores.when delaying the checkout process.

You are not meant to pack at the checkout - you put the items back in
the trolley and then pack at the shelf area set aside for the purpose.

Which is fine in theory, except you are now lifting stuff in and out of
the trolley twice.

"in your own good time" rather than all others' following....

Shurely if you only have a basket full you have to pack in real
time as there's no basket to put the stuff back in (as you've
left it at the start of the conveyor in the stack)?

You bring your own bags

which makes the piddly small table bigger, how?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2018 11:18, Huge wrote:

Another reason not to go there, then. What's the point if the
checkout operators go faster than you can pack?
#

That's ok - the type of service you expect ****es off a lot of
shoppers in these stores.when delaying the checkout process.

You are not meant to pack at the checkout - you put the items
back in the trolley and then pack at the shelf area set aside
for the purpose.

Which is fine in theory, except you are now lifting stuff in and
out of the trolley twice.

My sister sees it the same way too and, as she worked in retail
marketing, is full of advice to the checkout operator on how to
have happier customers.

I explain to her Lidl and Aldi are not a social service but
commercial organisations and if you don't like the way they
organise things then shop somewhere else.

It is clear that Huge does

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... explained :
if you want to pay for someone to pack your bags

shop in Waitrose

Or our local Tesco too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 15:58:24 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Andy Burns pretended :
You saved yourself from some horrid coffee.

Untrue, though I have never tried decaff. I like a good coffee and bulk
buy at Aldi as I have done for many years.

I think the one full-caff he bought was Lidl rather than Aldi (searching
for Bellarom seems to confirm it) I suppose my colleague wanted to like
it and I didn't expect to, but we both hated it, enough to throw it
away.

I get a lot of stuff at Aldi (it's only a short walk away, and I get a
discount on some purchases). I tried the instant coffee, and
decided...no. I am going to try their beans. We shall see.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

changing the item slightly

Oxo cubes are one of the branded products that they do sell

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 04/01/2018 14:04, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 4 January 2018 13:20:07 UTC, jim wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:

I went to aldi to get some bisto but they didn;t have any, only their
own brand so I left and went to the local corner shop.

Bisto sends hugs.

Well they do put the ingredients on the label, because having a veggie
cooking for you means they don't like to use meat products and the bisto
gravy actually says on the tin(made from carboard) that it is vegatarian
even the red version rather than just the green vegatable gravy which
IMHO isn't as tastey as the red.

What do vegetarians use Bisto for? *Original* Bisto (as opposed to the
gravy granules) is used to brown and thicken the juices from a joint or
chicken to make gravy, the flavour coming from the meat. Do vegetarians
make gravy from spinach water?

I make gravy because I want gravy with my meal

whether I have any meat juices to mix it in is irrelevant

I just use boiled water

tim

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager was thinking very hard :
I get a lot of stuff at Aldi (it's only a short walk away, and I get a
discount on some purchases). I tried the instant coffee, and
decided...no. I am going to try their beans. We shall see.

I don't like everything they sell, certainly not there no name cereals.
We buy the gold Aldi instant coffee, a friend who normally buys the big
brands tasted that, liked it and asked what coffee it was and now makes
a special trip just to buy their coffee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2018 15:43, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

That's gravy granules in the round tub. I mean the *original* Bisto in a
rectangular packet. Provides seasoning and thickening, but the flavour
comes from the juices from the meat, so you use the same product for
beef, lamb, chicken or whatever.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2018 13:22, whisky-dave wrote:

I still use both methods, but cards are prefered by the shops as people keep less track on what they are spending.

It costs more to handle cash as well as in-shop security concerns. One
reason why when paying by debit card they always seem to ask if you also
want cashback.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 16:14:47 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Bob Eager was thinking very hard :
I get a lot of stuff at Aldi (it's only a short walk away, and I get a
discount on some purchases). I tried the instant coffee, and
decided...no. I am going to try their beans. We shall see.

I don't like everything they sell, certainly not there no name cereals.
We buy the gold Aldi instant coffee, a friend who normally buys the big
brands tasted that, liked it and asked what coffee it was and now makes
a special trip just to buy their coffee.

Yes, my son likes that. The only cereal I buy is Shredded Wheat, and they
stock that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2018 14:13, John Rumm wrote:

I just load stuff on to the conveyor in the order I want it packed - so
frozen first, fridge next, etc - that way I can just fill bags in real
time at the other end.

I very much doubt that you can pack in the real time that the checkout
staff at a good Aldi/Lidl can scan. I note in places like Asda the
staff actually slow right down to the rate of the person packing hence
making people in the queue wait even longer.

Irrespective of where you shop you will always find the women who has
packed all of the shopping on top of the purse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-01-04, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

The best tills I;ve seen are those where you have a seprators so if someone is slow at picking up their staff then you juts sent the next customers stuff to the other side.

Sainsbury's seemed to give up on those by the late 70's ... and the
automatic coin dispensing chutes for your change.

Does anyone pay with cash any more?

only plebs?
Hence all the new banknotes...
--
Jim K

I still use both methods, but cards are prefered by the shops as people keep less track on what they are spending.

+1.

The whole premise behind modern financial transactions, whether retail
or service, is to make as sure as possible that the "spendee" has a
little knowledge or control as possible over his/her money. And it works...

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 16:12:21 UTC, tim... wrote:
[...]

Yep although I wouldn't know how slightly. But there wasn;t the veggie logo on the aldi versions when there is on the bisto.

Oxo cubes are one of the branded products that they do sell

really I didn't see them, I saw aldi versions and I wasn't sure if they or oxo were veggie or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2018 12:20, Andy Burns wrote:
Huge wrote:

We've only been in the local Aldi once, in search of decaf coffee,
which they didn't have, so we left. There isn't a local Lidl.

You saved yourself from some horrid coffee.

+1 but no worse than some of the offerings from the other major
supermarkets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 16:18:20 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 04/01/2018 15:43, whisky-dave wrote:

What do vegetarians use Bisto for?

They use it for making gravy. Well some do, probbaly not all.

*Original* Bisto (as opposed to the
gravy granules) is used to brown and thicken the juices from a joint or
chicken to make gravy, the flavour coming from the meat. Do vegetarians
make gravy from spinach water?

We added boiled water as per the instructions.
Do you not know how to make gravy in this way ?

That's gravy granules in the round tub.

Yep that's what I brought strangly enough.

I mean the *original* Bisto in a
rectangular packet. Provides seasoning and thickening, but the flavour
comes from the juices from the meat, so you use the same product for
beef, lamb, chicken or whatever.

How or why would a vegitarian use Bisto *original* when they don't eat the meat or support meat eating or the use of animal products or cruelty to animals ?
My friend doesn't wear leather either even the shoes that look like leather aren't, brought from a shop in Brighton.
http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/
Been a vegatarian since about 1988.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-01-04, Broadback wrote:
On 04/01/2018 10:39, tim... wrote:

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Why do the media insist on calling Aldi a discount store?

because its MO is to sell exclusively no-name "discount" products.

Which is what in Germany is exactly what it does

but here, the UK obsession with "brands" means that they have to stock
some of them

tim

Because it would slow things down, their tills operate at the speed of
light,

Another reason not to go there, then. What's the point if the checkout
operators go faster than you can pack?

The idea is all goods are whizzed back into your trolley, and there's an
area set aside for you to pack. I believe you can also remove surplus
packaging and leave it for the store to dispose of.

But that area is now filled up with terminals for customers to put their
receipt in to scan its barcode, and then enter their numberplate info to
avoid paying parking charges. At one Lidl I went to recently, there were
6 terminals in the "repacking" area. Fortunately it wasn't a peak time
for shopping, as it must be chaotic at such a time.

--

Jeff