Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Aldi, the German discounter

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 4 January 2018 12:06:00 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 03:49:09 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 11:36:32 UTC, charles wrote:
In article , alan_m
wrote:
On 04/01/2018 10:18, wrote:

One thing puzzles me about them: why no self-service checkouts?
They are cheaper.

Are they? Possibly only in stores where the check-out staff are so
inefficient. When I use Tesco/Sainsbury/Asda I find their checkout
so slow compared to the no nonsense approach of my local Aldi/Lidl.

Possibly, one reason is that the staff at Lidl/Aldi tend to be
foreign and don't have enough english to indulge in conversation.
But you still get the customer who has to wonder where they've put
their purse - this tends to slow things.

Thye biggest slowdown I:ve foind is the small amount of packing space
that you get at the end of the till, hardly enough space for one bag.
The best tills I;ve seen are those where you have a seprators so if
someone is slow at picking up their staff then you juts sent the next
customers stuff to the other side.

Because you're meant to put it back in the trolley and then pack at
your leisure.

I don]t use a trolly I use a basket as most people do and those that do
use a trolly there's not enough space on the counter to empty the trolly
so you actually need two trollys which take up far to much room.

The stores I use have a conveyor belt which will take the contents of two
trolleys.

I must admit that I;ve never noticed anyone queuing with theri shopping
on the belt and carrying an empty basket.

No, you place the basket in the pile at the end of the belt.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England