Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Automatic windscreen wipers and frost

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 21:13:58 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 16:39:16 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bod wrote:
Ah, maybe I'm being over-cautious, then. What about water at 100
meeting glass at around 0 - isn't there a risk of the glass
cracking? I've heard of people that it has happened to in this
situation.

Probably best to play safe and wait about 30 secs after the kettle
has boiled. by the time you get outside it should be well off of
boiling.

I've found hot water from the tap just fine. No need to wait for the
kettle to boil.

Not having a combi boiler I never thought of that.

Your only source of hot water is a kettle? Figures.

No, the shower, dishwasher, and washing machine all heat their own.

--
Paddy and his wife are lying in bed and the neighbours' dog is barking like mad in the garden.
Paddy says "To hell with this!" and storms off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 21:15:23 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Shower - electric.
Dishwasher - electric.
Washing machine - electric.

Nothing else needs hot water.

Wouldn't surprise me if you didn't wash your hands after having a ****.

Soap operates in cold water. Why wait for the hot water to reach the tap along the pipe from the boiler?

--
What animal has genitals on its back?
A police horse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 20:49:33 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 19:24:49 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 18:40:39 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 18:20:12 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 13:27:19 -0000, Bod
wrote:
On 13/01/2017 11:48, NY wrote:
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in
message news On 13/01/17 08:49, NY wrote:
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in
message news Why tepid? I run the hottest water I can from the hot
tap and fling it liberally on to the screen. Been doing
it for oodles of years with no problems.

Tim

I pour a just boiled kettle on it

Thermal shock of boiling water on glass that is at around
zero degrees.

yes. helps get the ice off

Don't want to crack my windscreen. Also, I'm not sure
whether the rubber of the wiper blades and the surround to
the windscreen (between glass and car body) would
withstand boiling water.

I can assure you they all can*, but the water is down at
around 20 degrees by the time it reaches them.

*black metal easily reaches 100 degrees in tropical sun.

Ah, maybe I'm being over-cautious, then. What about water at
100 meeting glass at around 0 - isn't there a risk of the
glass cracking? I've heard of people that it has happened to
in this situation.

Probably best to play safe and wait about 30 secs after
the kettle has boiled. by the time you get outside it should
be well off of boiling.

Probably 90. I prefer to boil half a kettle, then fill it up
from the cold tap. That makes the glass plenty warm enough to
stay unfrozen until you've got the car going.

You could always fill the kettle from the hot water tap. Oh,
hang on!!!!!!!!!!

A decent kettle boils in a minute or so.

Of course the "logical" way is to cover the windscreen up. This
is logical Mr Hucker.
I got two windscreen covers from Aldi three years ago. One for
the back, one for the front. £1.99 each.
They take seconds to put on and work very well.

But you have to know it's going to be frosty the next day.

Google is your fiend.

We cannot predict the future. Anyway, a kettle is less hassle on
the few days that need it.

We can forecast frost with a lot of accuracy.
Most days this time of year will be frosty in Jockland, as you well
know.

Actually, my car has had a frosted windscreen only once this winter.

The covers only take seconds to put on and take off.

Not much longer for a kettle, and no forward planning necessary.

Pillock.

Try replying in an adult fashion, if you can.

You are a sad lonely little man with no woman, no money and no aspirations.
Thus, you are a pillock.

TTFN, you have entertained us all again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 13/01/2017 11:48, NY wrote:
[...]

I could have a woman if I wanted one. I've had plenty offers. Why do you have a woman? Because you feel you have to? Tradition?

--
In case of exposure to lack of substance, please do not continue to refrain from stopping.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
In article ,
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Shower - electric.
Dishwasher - electric.
Washing machine - electric.

Nothing else needs hot water.

Wouldn't surprise me if you didn't wash your hands after having a
****.

Soap operates in cold water. Why wait for the hot water to reach the
tap along the pipe from the boiler?

Pillock.

I save time in the bathroom. You are a sissy and need warm water. You are a big girl's blouse.

--
Where Article 51 applies, the number of Directors subject to retirement by
rotation under Article 49 shall be reduced (subject to Article 64(g)) by
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
Never used hot water to wash my hands, always used the cold tap. Just why
do you need hot water for 5% of your body for 10 seconds?

Because cold water is cold water no matter how small a part of the body it
touches or for how short a time - it's still bloody cold if the temperature
outside is below freezing (as it would be for this thread to be relevant)
and therefore the water coming out of the tap is probably not much warmer
(maybe 4-8 deg C).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 22:53:14 -0000, NY wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
Never used hot water to wash my hands, always used the cold tap. Just why
do you need hot water for 5% of your body for 10 seconds?

Because cold water is cold water no matter how small a part of the body it
touches or for how short a time - it's still bloody cold if the temperature
outside is below freezing (as it would be for this thread to be relevant)
and therefore the water coming out of the tap is probably not much warmer
(maybe 4-8 deg C).

Oh you poor little snowflake.

--
A backward poet writes inverse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 21:15:23 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Shower - electric.
Dishwasher - electric.
Washing machine - electric.

Nothing else needs hot water.

Wouldn't surprise me if you didn't wash your hands after having a ****.

Soap operates in cold water. Why wait for the hot water to reach the
tap along the pipe from the boiler?

Odd. Most people many many years ago found out that hot water aids the
cleaning process.

Even you may have noticed your washing machine doesn't use cold water.

--
*Geeks shall inherit the earth *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 00:11:25 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 21:15:23 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Shower - electric.
Dishwasher - electric.
Washing machine - electric.

Nothing else needs hot water.

Wouldn't surprise me if you didn't wash your hands after having a ****.

Soap operates in cold water. Why wait for the hot water to reach the
tap along the pipe from the boiler?

Odd. Most people many many years ago found out that hot water aids the
cleaning process.

It doesn't. Soap simply aids the wetting of your skin. This functions at any temperature.

Even you may have noticed your washing machine doesn't use cold water.

The Germans realised it's not required at all. Even modern UK washing powder does not need hot water, just 30C.

--
You keep believing, I'll keep evolving
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In article ,
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Shower - electric.
Dishwasher - electric.
Washing machine - electric.

Nothing else needs hot water.

Wouldn't surprise me if you didn't wash your hands after having a
****.

Soap operates in cold water. Why wait for the hot water to reach the
tap along the pipe from the boiler?

Odd. Most people many many years ago found out that hot water aids the
cleaning process.

It doesn't. Soap simply aids the wetting of your skin. This functions at
any temperature.

Even you may have noticed your washing machine doesn't use cold water.

The Germans realised it's not required at all. Even modern UK washing
powder does not need hot water, just 30C.

You keep at it old son, lets see if you can also **** this newsgroup. I'll
wager that you can.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In article ,
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Shower - electric.
Dishwasher - electric.
Washing machine - electric.

Nothing else needs hot water.

Wouldn't surprise me if you didn't wash your hands after having a ****.

Soap operates in cold water. Why wait for the hot water to reach the
tap along the pipe from the boiler?

Odd. Most people many many years ago found out that hot water aids the
cleaning process.

Even you may have noticed your washing machine doesn't use cold water.

Mine does, and washes stuff fine.

--
*Geeks shall inherit the earth *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Odd. Most people many many years ago found out that hot water aids the
cleaning process.

It doesn't. Soap simply aids the wetting of your skin. This functions
at any temperature.

Even you may have noticed your washing machine doesn't use cold water.

The Germans realised it's not required at all. Even modern UK washing
powder does not need hot water, just 30C.

If you get 30C out of your cold tap I'd get a man in to fix it. But if it
is that hot, the bugs in it would account for your brain malfunction.

--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Peeler" wrote in message
eb.com...
On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 19:48:33 +1100, grjw wrote:

Washing machine - electric.

Nothing else needs hot water.

Wouldn't surprise me if you didn't wash your hands after having a
****.

Soap operates in cold water. Why wait for the hot water to reach the
tap along the pipe from the boiler?

Odd. Most people many many years ago found out that hot water aids the
cleaning process.

Even you may have noticed your washing machine doesn't use cold water.

Mine does, and washes stuff fine.

Must be one of those cheapo plastic "washing machines" without heating
elements where you poor in the water by hand.

Nope, standard washing machine.

If it's a standard washing
machine that can use low temperatures (which are still quite higher than
cold tab water),

It uses the cold tap water and doesn't heat it at all
with the program I use.

it will take up to 3 hours to complete the washing to
compensate for the missing effect of the higher temperatures.

Wrong again.

Anyway, it depends of course a lot on the fibre of your "stuff" and the
degree of the soiling. But your stuff will develop greyness after a while
anyway, if you don't use hot water,

Nope. I don't have any white stuff tho. I choose not
to have any of that because it looks dirty too quickly.

and it will be difficult to remove then.
But then, some people don't mind.

And some have a clue and don't wear white anything.

Don't have white sheets or towels either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And some have a clue and don't wear white anything.

Don't have white sheets or towels either.

You probably got used to the slight greyish film after a while (I did so
too, once). Even coloured stuff looks brighter and cleaner if washed again
at higher temperatures, at least occasionally. Then there are problematic
stains (like grease and sweat) that won't get removed completely at low
temperatures.

Same with greasy hands (after repairing a bike, e.g.) where some dirt won't
easily come off even with special soaps but will with warm water.

You probably do know that it's because of a physical law (Brownian motion)
that higher temperatures dissolve dirt more easily and much quicker.

In its medical literature, the Food and Drug Administration states that
hot water comfortable enough for washing hands is not hot enough to kill
bacteria.

Also:

So while many believe hot water is more effective for hand washing the
study actually concluded, "the temperature of water used is not related
to how well pathogens are eliminated during the process." Additionally,
warmer water can irritate the skin and can affect its protective layer,
which may cause it to be less resistant to bacteria.

http://info.debgroup.com/blog/bid/33...-washing-hands
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2017 18:24, The Peeler wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 17:38:02 +0000, Bod wrote:

[...]

It doesn't contradict in any way that hot water IS more effective in
removing dirt, it just refers to the removal of bacteria or "pathogens"
about which nobody was talking so far. ;-)

I use cold water/soap and a bit of sugar for greasy hands mostly . It
works. The sugar also leaves your hands smooth.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Mind you manual is as bad, I've yet to see a car which flicks the wipers
to off when you turn off the engine

My Fiat Scudo does.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 20:04:52 -0000, ARW wrote:

Mind you manual is as bad, I've yet to see a car which flicks the wipers
to off when you turn off the engine

My Fiat Scudo does.

Ingenuity from the ITALIANS?!?

--
If breasts had no nipples, they'd be pointless.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Peeler" wrote in message
eb.com...
On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 02:31:30 +1100, grjw wrote:

[...]

There is no slight greyish film and I have just check that now.

(I did so too, once). Even coloured stuff

I have nothing but coloured stuff, as I said, and not pastel
colors either, very bold colors, the T shirts are very dark blue,
I prefer light blue jeans rather than the more traditional very
dark blue jeans, dark blue and sometimes green sweats etc.

looks brighter and cleaner if washed again
at higher temperatures, at least occasionally.

Mine don't.

Then there are problematic
stains (like grease and sweat) that won't get removed completely at low
temperatures.

Sure, I certainly used to wash filthy greasy overalls in hot water but
don't need to do any of that sort of work on the cars anymore, so
that hasn't happened for decades now, likely 40 years now.

Same with greasy hands (after repairing a bike, e.g.)

I havent done any of that for something like 40 years either

where some dirt won't easily come off even
with special soaps but will with warm water.

I could get quite a bit of blood on clothes at times when
I was taking clopidigrel as a blood thinning after the heart
attack when I managed to cut myself to gouge out a patch
of skin when I whacked the arm against something, but
that comes out in cold water fine.

You probably do know that it's because of a physical law (Brownian motion)
that higher temperatures dissolve dirt more easily and much quicker.

Yes, and that's why I did used to wash filthy greasy overalls
in hot water, but like I said, don't need to do that anymore.

The clothes can get quite dirty when cleaning up and doing
work on the house, but again, cold water wash works fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Peeler" wrote in message
web.com...
On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 09:09:19 +1100, grjw wrote:

Sure, I certainly used to wash filthy greasy overalls in hot water but
don't need to do any of that sort of work on the cars anymore, so
that hasn't happened for decades now, likely 40 years now.

Same with greasy hands (after repairing a bike, e.g.)

I havent done any of that for something like 40 years either

where some dirt won't easily come off even
with special soaps but will with warm water.

I could get quite a bit of blood on clothes at times when
I was taking clopidigrel as a blood thinning after the heart
attack when I managed to cut myself to gouge out a patch
of skin when I whacked the arm against something, but
that comes out in cold water fine.

Yes, blood has to be removed with ONLY cold water (and quickly).

I don't find the quickly matters, even a week till it gets washed works
fine.

Hot water will make the stain last forever and not
even special blood stain removers will help much then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 21:43:43 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk wrote:

My current car combines the "auto on/off" with a single wipe, which is
****ing annoying. Luckily a quick pull to wash doesn't have time to fire
the washer but does a wipe ...

The auto wipers work well on my car, variable sensitivity to rain and
go from a single wipe as required to double speed flat out. Trouble
is the "single wipe as required" can happen on a lightly fly splatted
windscreen converting it from one can be seen through to one with
smeared fly splat that isn't... The auto doesn't cancel when you
switch off, but static snow frost doesn't trigger 'em. The heated
windscreen means that the blades aren't still frozen to the screen by
the time the rain sensor "sees water" and triggers a wipe. With frost
and light snow it's almost a fully automatic self clear.

The auto lights are weird too ,,.

Mine come on a little before I'd think, "hum ought to turn the lights
on", so they stay in auto, unless the hill fog is getting a bit thick
and I switch dipped off and just use the front fogs. Far less glare,
not much reach but then visibilty will be down to only a few tens of
yards anyway.

What they will do is switch off in bright daylight fog! Ok there is a
light on the instrument panel but if you're concentrating on what's
outside. I wish it would "bong" when ever it changes the state of an
indicator lamp. Ideally "bong" for pay attention and "bing" for
happy.

It's not as if it has a shortage of bongs. It'll use them with gay
abandon if the car is moving and your seatbelt isn't fastened, a door
is open and engine running and/or lights left on.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 08:49:02 -0000, NY wrote:

Thermal shock of boiling water on glass that is at around zero degrees.

Screen exposed to clear skies and it will be a lot colder than 0C,
could well be 10 C or more below what ever the air tempertaure is. So
air temp of -10, wndscreen -20 or lower.

Laminated windscreens are pretty damn tough but I'd still not throw
near boiling water over one. Far easier to start the engine, press
"defrost". By the time the side windows have been squirted and
cleared even frozen on snow will just slide off the heated front and
rear screens. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 00:11:25 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Odd. Most people many many years ago found out that hot water aids the
cleaning process.

With simple "hygiene" hand washing most of the cleaning comes from
the physical actions rather than water temperature or soap. Dibbling
you finger tips under tap for 3 seconds sans soap does SFA. But
that's all many people do in response to "now wash your hands".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/17 01:07, Dave Liquorice wrote:
By the time the side windows have been squirted and
cleared even frozen on snow will just slide off the heated front and
rear screens. B-)

NOt really, even with electrically heated ones.

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 15/01/17 01:07, Dave Liquorice wrote:
By the time the side windows have been squirted and
cleared even frozen on snow will just slide off the heated front and
rear screens. B-)

NOt really, even with electrically heated ones.

Our Fiesta is good but certainly not instant. Misting clears over about
1/4 mile. Rarely frosted as it is garaged at home.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 20:04:52 -0000, ARW

Mind you manual is as bad, I've yet to see a car which flicks the wipers
to off when you turn off the engine

My Fiat Scudo does.

Ingenuity from the ITALIANS?!?

More likely a wiring fault.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
The auto wipers work well on my car, variable sensitivity to rain and
go from a single wipe as required to double speed flat out. Trouble
is the "single wipe as required" can happen on a lightly fly splatted
windscreen converting it from one can be seen through to one with
smeared fly splat that isn't... The auto doesn't cancel when you
switch off, but static snow frost doesn't trigger 'em. The heated
windscreen means that the blades aren't still frozen to the screen by
the time the rain sensor "sees water" and triggers a wipe. With frost
and light snow it's almost a fully automatic self clear.

I've had two different makes with rain sensing wipers. Both I'd guess with
Bosch systems being German cars.

Neither works perfectly in town. Too much a build up of rain on the screen
before they wipe. I end up using the single wipe function they both have.

Are you certain your works after switching off the engine? If it is always
'ready' if the stalk is left in the auto position, it would come on when
say using a car wash. Which might just remove the wipers.

Of course even the earlier intermittent wipe isn't perfect. Needs a
different interval depending on how light the rain is.

--
*I got a sweater for Christmas. I really wanted a screamer or a moaner*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Laminated windscreens are pretty damn tough

Really? Far easier to crack than the older toughened type. Difference is
they don't shatter.

You'd not make a table top out of laminated.

--
*CAN AN ATHEIST GET INSURANCE AGAINST ACTS OF GOD?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Laminated windscreens are pretty damn tough

Really? Far easier to crack than the older toughened type. Difference is
they don't shatter.

You'd not make a table top out of laminated.

Really!?

Laminated Glass | Custom Cut Safety Glass | Order Online
https://www.dullesglassandmirror.com/laminated-glass
Rating: 5 - €ˇ20 reviews
A glass table top made from laminated glass for example, will be a clear
choice to avoid flying glass in the event of breakage. It is also used
in a wide variety of ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

one car I owned allowed me to vary the interval. It might have been a SEAT.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Laminated windscreens are pretty damn tough

Really? Far easier to crack than the older toughened type. Difference is
they don't shatter.

You'd not make a table top out of laminated.

There is a big difference between the laminated screens in cars and
laminated glass you buy in sheets.

Car stuff is toughened and then laminated.

Laminated glass is float glass laminated and is not toughened at all.
If it were toughened you couldn't cut it to size.

There is nothing to stop you using toughened laminated glass for
furniture other than the cost.
You will find that toughened laminated glass is used in places like
escalators if you look.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2017 12:10, charles wrote:

one car I owned allowed me to vary the interval. It might have been a SEAT.

Many cars allow that, most owners never read the manual to know how.

On a corsa you hold the stalk down for as long as you want between wipes
and it remembers that. Easy if you know how.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
Of course even the earlier intermittent wipe isn't perfect. Needs a
different interval depending on how light the rain is.

one car I owned allowed me to vary the interval. It might have been a
SEAT.

Very first car I had with this did too - a Rover P6. It wasn't electronic,
but pneumatic. Allowed infinite variation between min and max.

Problem is you spend more time fiddling with it to try and get it just
right as using a single wipe type. Hence, I'd guess the invention of the
rain sense types.

It's possible they work very well with a brand new screen. Both my cars
fitted with it were used, so didn't have 100% perfect screens.

--
*Ever stop to think and forget to start again?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Laminated windscreens are pretty damn tough

Really? Far easier to crack than the older toughened type. Difference is
they don't shatter.

You'd not make a table top out of laminated.

There is a big difference between the laminated screens in cars and
laminated glass you buy in sheets.

Car stuff is toughened and then laminated.

Really? How does it manage to crack, then?

Laminated glass is float glass laminated and is not toughened at all.
If it were toughened you couldn't cut it to size.

There is nothing to stop you using toughened laminated glass for
furniture other than the cost.
You will find that toughened laminated glass is used in places like
escalators if you look.

I can see that - where both maximum resistance to impact and it retaining
strength if broken is needed. But don't think this applies to car screens.

--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 11:18:02 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Odd. Most people many many years ago found out that hot water aids the
cleaning process.

It doesn't. Soap simply aids the wetting of your skin. This functions
at any temperature.

Even you may have noticed your washing machine doesn't use cold water.

The Germans realised it's not required at all. Even modern UK washing
powder does not need hot water, just 30C.

If you get 30C out of your cold tap I'd get a man in to fix it. But if it
is that hot, the bugs in it would account for your brain malfunction.

A washing machine is not the same as your hands. Machines need hotter water as they can't scrub. For example I need 70C water for my dishwasher. Nobody needs that for hand washing dishes.

--
"You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power to taxi to the terminal."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 01:22:26 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 00:11:25 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Odd. Most people many many years ago found out that hot water aids the
cleaning process.

With simple "hygiene" hand washing most of the cleaning comes from
the physical actions rather than water temperature or soap. Dibbling
you finger tips under tap for 3 seconds sans soap does SFA. But
that's all many people do in response to "now wash your hands".

If you've dribbled urine on your fingers, then a rinse will do.

--
Willy-nilly (adj.), impotent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bod" wrote in message
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Laminated windscreens are pretty damn tough

Really? Far easier to crack than the older toughened type. Difference is
they don't shatter.

You'd not make a table top out of laminated.

Really!?

Laminated Glass | Custom Cut Safety Glass | Order Online
https://www.dullesglassandmirror.com/laminated-glass
Rating: 5 - €ˇ20 reviews
A glass table top made from laminated glass for example, will be a clear
choice to avoid flying glass in the event of breakage. It is also used in
a wide variety of ...

Yeah, I wouldnt want to fall onto a non laminated table top.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 10:46:05 -0000, ARW wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 20:04:52 -0000, ARW

Mind you manual is as bad, I've yet to see a car which flicks the wipers
to off when you turn off the engine

My Fiat Scudo does.

Ingenuity from the ITALIANS?!?

More likely a wiring fault.

If it's a physical locking switch like most cars, then that would be impossible. If it's a momentary switch to cycle through the options etc, then resetting it is probably easier. My rear demister works in the same way.

--
I called a company and asked to speak to Bob. The person
who answered said, "Bob is on vacation. Would you like to
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
charles wrote

one car I owned allowed me to vary the interval. It might have been a
SEAT.

Many cars allow that, most owners never read the manual to know how.

Bloody hell, thanks for that.

On a corsa you hold the stalk down for as long as you want between wipes
and it remembers that. Easy if you know how.

On the Hyundai Getz, there is a ring below the switch on
the stalk that allows you to set the rate. Least that’s what
the manual says, its still dark outside so I will try it later.

Nissan Tino wipers solved (Thank uou!!) Phil K[_2_] UK diy 9 January 18th 15 06:55 PM
Juddering Wipers TheScullster UK diy 42 March 2nd 11 06:52 PM
Making windscreen wipers Matty F UK diy 3 July 12th 10 01:07 AM
How do car blinkers and intermittent wipers work? JeffM Electronics 2 February 17th 04 08:23 AM
Windscreen wipers frozen to windshield George Eberhardt Home Repair 30 January 29th 04 06:57 PM