Posted to uk.d-i-y
grjw grjw is offline

Default Automatic windscreen wipers and frost

"The Peeler" wrote in message
eb.com...
On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 02:31:30 +1100, grjw wrote:

Even you may have noticed your washing machine doesn't use cold water.

Mine does, and washes stuff fine.

Must be one of those cheapo plastic "washing machines" without heating
elements where you poor in the water by hand.

Nope, standard washing machine.

If it's a standard washing
machine that can use low temperatures (which are still quite higher than
cold tab water),

It uses the cold tap water and doesn't heat it at all
with the program I use.

it will take up to 3 hours to complete the washing to
compensate for the missing effect of the higher temperatures.

Wrong again.

Anyway, it depends of course a lot on the fibre of your "stuff" and the
degree of the soiling. But your stuff will develop greyness after a
while
anyway, if you don't use hot water,

Nope. I don't have any white stuff tho. I choose not
to have any of that because it looks dirty too quickly.

and it will be difficult to remove then.
But then, some people don't mind.

And some have a clue and don't wear white anything.

Don't have white sheets or towels either.

You probably got used to the slight greyish film after a while

There is no slight greyish film and I have just check that now.

(I did so too, once). Even coloured stuff

I have nothing but coloured stuff, as I said, and not pastel
colors either, very bold colors, the T shirts are very dark blue,
I prefer light blue jeans rather than the more traditional very
dark blue jeans, dark blue and sometimes green sweats etc.

looks brighter and cleaner if washed again
at higher temperatures, at least occasionally.

Mine don't.

Then there are problematic
stains (like grease and sweat) that won't get removed completely at low
temperatures.

Sure, I certainly used to wash filthy greasy overalls in hot water but
don't need to do any of that sort of work on the cars anymore, so
that hasn't happened for decades now, likely 40 years now.

Same with greasy hands (after repairing a bike, e.g.)

I havent done any of that for something like 40 years either

where some dirt won't easily come off even
with special soaps but will with warm water.

I could get quite a bit of blood on clothes at times when
I was taking clopidigrel as a blood thinning after the heart
attack when I managed to cut myself to gouge out a patch
of skin when I whacked the arm against something, but
that comes out in cold water fine.

You probably do know that it's because of a physical law (Brownian motion)
that higher temperatures dissolve dirt more easily and much quicker.

Yes, and that's why I did used to wash filthy greasy overalls
in hot water, but like I said, don't need to do that anymore.

The clothes can get quite dirty when cleaning up and doing
work on the house, but again, cold water wash works fine.