Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Juddering Wipers

Hi all

What to do to stop car windscreen wipers juddering and squeaking? (Mazda 6
54 plate)
If I replace them, they are quiet and effective for a month or so then the
problem returns.

Looks like there's something smeary on the windscreen, but using halfords
glass cleaner doesn't seem to resolve it.

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:49:40 -0000, "TheScullster"
wrote:

Hi all

What to do to stop car windscreen wipers juddering and squeaking? (Mazda 6
54 plate)
If I replace them, they are quiet and effective for a month or so then the
problem returns.

Looks like there's something smeary on the windscreen, but using halfords
glass cleaner doesn't seem to resolve it.

Give the screen a good clean with a dash of vinegar in clean water and
polish it dry with scrunched up newspaper. Use a pliers to bend your
wiper arms gently to slightly increase the downward pressure onto the
glass. Treat yourself to a set of flat wiper blades.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Hi all

What to do to stop car windscreen wipers juddering and squeaking? (Mazda
6 54 plate)
If I replace them, they are quiet and effective for a month or so then
the problem returns.

What are you replacing them with? Cheap no-brand wiper blades often start
to judder quickly. Valeo, Bosch or other name-brand last far, far longer
and work much more effectively ime.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/11 08:49, TheScullster wrote:
What to do to stop car windscreen wipers juddering and squeaking? (Mazda 6
54 plate)
If I replace them, they are quiet and effective for a month or so then the
problem returns.

Looks like there's something smeary on the windscreen, but using halfords
glass cleaner doesn't seem to resolve it.

On one of my previous cars I had similar symptoms which turned out to be a
loose spline on the wiper arm causing the wiper blade to be damaged where
it was hitting the side of the window.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 22, 8:49*am, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

What to do to stop car windscreen wipers juddering and squeaking? (Mazda 6
54 plate)
If I replace them, they are quiet and effective for a month or so then the
problem returns.

Looks like there's something smeary on the windscreen, but using halfords
glass cleaner doesn't seem to resolve it.

TIA

Phil

get some contact cleaner speray ( electrical stuff) make sure its the
non oily type and it will cut any crap from the screen regardless of
what it is - you could also use acetone if you can get it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
writes
wrote:

Hi all

What to do to stop car windscreen wipers juddering and squeaking? (Mazda 6
54 plate)
If I replace them, they are quiet and effective for a month or so then the
problem returns.

Looks like there's something smeary on the windscreen, but using halfords
glass cleaner doesn't seem to resolve it.

Give the screen a good clean with a dash of vinegar in clean water and
polish it dry with scrunched up newspaper. Use a pliers to bend your
wiper arms gently to slightly increase the downward pressure onto the
glass. Treat yourself to a set of flat wiper blades.

Because of friction, the wipers usually end up 'parked' with the edge of
the rubber blades pointing up the windscreen.

After a while, the rubber loses its elasticity and, when the wipers are
in motion, the blades no longer have a 'flip-flop' action on alternate
wipes. This is particularly true with cheap blades, where the rubber is
rather plasticky - and even more so in cold weather.

As a result, the blades are trying to dig into the glass (like a barb),
and juddering occurs on the upward stroke. [It's a bit like scraping
your finger nail down a blackboard (if you know what I mean).] This
effect can be alleviated somewhat if, when the wipers have parked, you
push them slightly downwards (usually towards the engine), and, when
they spring back, ensure that the blades have flipped over.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi all

What to do to stop car windscreen wipers juddering and squeaking? (Mazda 6
54 plate)
If I replace them, they are quiet and effective for a month or so then the
problem returns.

Looks like there's something smeary on the windscreen, but using halfords
glass cleaner doesn't seem to resolve it.

Wash your car manually (or simply don't bother) so that no polish gets
on the screen, (don't ever use a wash and wax product) always use big
brand wiper blades, no supermarket pound shop specials, clean the
screen, and if all that doesn't work replace the wiper arm springs.

As for cleaning the screen, vinegar might work, but this will help to
remove the silicone

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17175/...-Remover-100ml

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
What to do to stop car windscreen wipers juddering and squeaking? (Mazda
6 54 plate) If I replace them, they are quiet and effective for a month
or so then the problem returns.

Looks like there's something smeary on the windscreen, but using
halfords glass cleaner doesn't seem to resolve it.

It's not helped by a motor etc which is down on power. Do the wipers run
at the same speed as when the car was new - and do they clear snow etc as
well as ever?

I mention this because my old Rover suffered badly from wiper judder, and
I've just replaced the motor with a different more powerful type. The
judder has gone. So it would be worth checking the mechanism is well
lubricated and there is acceptable voltage drop to the motor.

--
*Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheScullster writes
Hi all

What to do to stop car windscreen wipers juddering and squeaking? (Mazda 6
54 plate)
If I replace them, they are quiet and effective for a month or so then the
problem returns.

Looks like there's something smeary on the windscreen, but using halfords
glass cleaner doesn't seem to resolve it.

Have you been cleaning the blades as well as the screen? Also check that
the arm is parallel to the screen (so that the blade holder is perp to
it).
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , John
writes
wrote:

[...]

Bit of useless information but VW cars never rest on the same edge twice
when the wipers park. So this phenomenon doesn't occur as quick as other
cars.

To the OP have you put anything on the windscreen previously like Rain X? I
used this once and the juddering was terrible. I used steel wool to remove
it all and the windscreen was back to normal.

Treat yourself to a new flat set and you'll never look back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steven Campbell" spam@away gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Treat yourself to a new flat set and you'll never look back.

I have a set of flat-blade wipers (own-brands from wiperblades.co.uk) on
the Saab at the moment. They've solved one specific problem - the arm
pivots freezing, causing the blade to set in position and lift - but are
considerably less capable at following the curvature of the screen, and
much bulkier (especially around the pivot), so visually more intrusive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2011 10:32, Staffbull wrote:
On Feb 22, 8:49 am, wrote:
Hi all

What to do to stop car windscreen wipers juddering and squeaking? (Mazda 6
54 plate)
If I replace them, they are quiet and effective for a month or so then the
problem returns.

Looks like there's something smeary on the windscreen, but using halfords
glass cleaner doesn't seem to resolve it.

TIA

Phil

get some contact cleaner speray ( electrical stuff) make sure its the
non oily type and it will cut any crap from the screen regardless of
what it is - you could also use acetone if you can get it

I get my acetone from our local pharmacist. They will ask you what you
want it for and as long as you give a plausible answer, they will order
it in for you.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 22, 8:49 am, *wrote:
Hi all

What to do to stop car windscreen wipers juddering and squeaking? (Mazda 6
54 plate)
If I replace them, they are quiet and effective for a month or so then the
problem returns.

Looks like there's something smeary on the windscreen, but using halfords
glass cleaner doesn't seem to resolve it.

TIA

Phil

get some contact cleaner speray ( electrical stuff) make sure its the
non oily type and it will cut any crap from the screen regardless of
what it is - you could also use acetone if you can get it

I get my acetone from our local pharmacist. They will ask you what you
want it for and as long as you give a plausible answer, they will order
it in for you.

Dave- Hide quoted text -

Cellulose paint thinners is acetone. Available at acessory shops. It
can bugger up some paint finishes to be carefull not to drip it on the
car paint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

What to do to stop car windscreen wipers juddering and squeaking? (Mazda 6
54 plate)
If I replace them, they are quiet and effective for a month or so then the
problem returns.

Looks like there's something smeary on the windscreen, but using halfords
glass cleaner doesn't seem to resolve it.

For cleaning glass on a vehicle, have a word with your local bus/ lorry/
coach company cleaners or your local Autosmart guy. Traffic film remover
for the glass, and meths or similar for the wiper blades. Neat washing
up liquid on a cloth will also do the job on the blades, with a good
rinse afterwards. Dilute the TFR as recommended, and be warned that it
will remove what polish you've got on your paintwork where it comes into
contact. If you use it to clean the whole car, it leaves a lovely
surface for re-polishing

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi all

What to do to stop car windscreen wipers juddering and squeaking? (Mazda 6
54 plate)
If I replace them, they are quiet and effective for a month or so then the
problem returns.

Looks like there's something smeary on the windscreen, but using halfords

Often cured by adjusting the "angle of attack" of the wipers relative
to the windscreen. The blade should flop over everytime the wiper
changes direction, but if the arm is not twisted correctly then it
tries to push the blade in front of it instead of dragging behind.
This makes it judder. Use two pairs of pliers to twist the wiper arm
so that when presented to the screen the rubber blade is roughly
perpendicular.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 22, 8:49 am, wrote:
Hi all

What to do to stop car windscreen wipers juddering and squeaking? (Mazda 6
54 plate)
If I replace them, they are quiet and effective for a month or so then the
problem returns.

Looks like there's something smeary on the windscreen, but using halfords
glass cleaner doesn't seem to resolve it.

Try WD40 - seriously. It gets all sorts of stuff off, then it'll wash
off with soapy water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Simon C
writes

On Feb 22, 8:49 am, wrote:
Hi all

What to do to stop car windscreen wipers juddering and squeaking? (Mazda 6
54 plate)
If I replace them, they are quiet and effective for a month or so then the
problem returns.

Looks like there's something smeary on the windscreen, but using halfords
glass cleaner doesn't seem to resolve it.

Try WD40 - seriously. It gets all sorts of stuff off, then it'll wash
off with soapy water.

Seriously? It's great stuff, but even _I_ wouldn't use WD40 on a
windscreen (not mine, anyway!).
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 20:57:11 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

Try WD40 - seriously. It gets all sorts of stuff off, then it'll wash
off with soapy water.

Seriously? It's great stuff, but even _I_ wouldn't use WD40 on a
windscreen (not mine, anyway!).

Well I've used it on mine to remove tar spots. Perhaps unwisely... but
it did work just fiine. Perhaps if in doubt then 'try on a small area
first'. But glass is pretty tough isn't it? I've been much more
worried when using WD to remove sticker residue on the speedo glass
[actuaslly plastic] on a recently bought car - as recommended by
someone in this group. That worked fine tho too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Simon C
writes
wrote:

Try WD40 - seriously. It gets all sorts of stuff off, then it'll wash
off with soapy water.

Seriously? It's great stuff, but even _I_ wouldn't use WD40 on a
windscreen (not mine, anyway!).

Well I've used it on mine to remove tar spots. Perhaps unwisely... but
it did work just fiine.

I'm sure I've also used it to remove tar spots - but only on bodywork.

Perhaps if in doubt then 'try on a small area
first'. But glass is pretty tough isn't it?

I don't think I'd be at all worried about it actually harming the glass.

I've been much more
worried when using WD to remove sticker residue on the speedo glass
[actuaslly plastic] on a recently bought car - as recommended by
someone in this group. That worked fine tho too.

I don't think I've ever had WD40 actually harm plastics. White spirit is
a completely different. I always thought it was pretty innocuous, I used
it once on something that might have been acrylic, and it crazed it
within seconds.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2011 19:44, John Williamson wrote:
TheScullster wrote:
[...]

Best I've ever come across is Clearalex washer additive. Used to be
vailable in Hlfords etc but I had to buy on line last time. It dates
back to the late 60's when it was used by the Rally teams

malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 19:44:25 +0000, John Williamson
wrote:

For cleaning glass on a vehicle, have a word with your local bus/ lorry/
coach company cleaners or your local Autosmart guy. Traffic film remover
for the glass, and meths or similar for the wiper blades.

To add one more odd glass cleaner: Toothpaste. Use it to polish off the wax film
from the car wash...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 22, 8:49 am, wrote:
[...]

My "cellulose thinners" consist mainly of xylene, a different beast
altogether.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 22, 8:49 am, wrote:
[...]

Nether is required. Both are dangerous in combination with paintwork.

The best solution I have found is the cheapest detergent you can find.
That strips the oil from the lass and blades.
I don't like to add it to the washer bottle, but a period wipe over he
windscreen and blades with washing up liquid generally works.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

For cleaning glass on a vehicle, have a word with your local bus/ lorry/
coach company cleaners or your local Autosmart guy. Traffic film remover
for the glass, and meths or similar for the wiper blades.

To add one more odd glass cleaner: Toothpaste. Use it to polish off the wax film
from the car wash...

A garage waxed my (new) windscreen once. First time it rained, I
couldn't see out the windscreen because the water went into miniscule
beads all over it about a millisecond after the wiper passed by.

I tried a few things, but with only partial success. Eventually I
called Triplex and they gave me advice along the following lines.

Although the wax forms a weak chemical bond with the glass, you can
get it off with white spirit and a lot of rubbing. It only needs a
very small amount to cause water beading, and it's difficult to
clean because you have to get it all off. Second problem is that it
is absorbed into rubber wiper blades, and these will recoat the glass.

So first, chuck out the wiper blades.

Secondly, clean the screen with white spirit and kitchen roll, but
use new sheets all the time for washing and again for drying off
(don't let it evaporate off as that will leave the silicone behind).
You will need to go over it several times, and expect to use up a
whole kitchen roll. If the windscreen has a rubber surround, don't
let the kitchen roll touch that and then touch the glass, as it
will transfer more silicone back onto the glass.

Finally, fit brand new wiper blades.

It worked.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Ian Jackson wrote:

I don't think I've ever had WD40 actually harm plastics. White spirit is
a completely different.

WD-40 is 50% white spirit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#Formulation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater writes:

A garage waxed my (new) windscreen once.

Erm, am I missing something here? Why would one ever want to do that?

I don't know. Inconcompetence I think. Probably a new lad from the
jobcentre. It was nice of them to clean the car for free when it
was in for a service, but given this, I wished they hadn't.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Alan Braggins
writes
In article , Ian Jackson wrote:

I don't think I've ever had WD40 actually harm plastics. White spirit is
a completely different.

WD-40 is 50% white spirit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40#Formulation

Interesting! I'm not sure what the plastic was, but when I dunked it in
white spirit, it crazed and eventually shattered - a bit like toughened
glass car windscreens do when the break.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

The best solution I have found is the cheapest detergent you can find.
That strips the oil from the lass

Christ, you wouldn't want a back seat shag with that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 13:44:24 -0000, Steven Campbell wrote:

To the OP have you put anything on the windscreen previously like Rain
X? I used this once and the juddering was terrible.

Until a year or so back I've always put Rain X in the snake oil
department. Then CostCo had it and the glass cleaner to go with it at
a good price. Thought what the heck I'm fed up with a nasty smeary
windscreen.

Took several hours of quite hard work cleaning the glass and buffing
on the Rain X but the difference was amazing. Rain just beads and
runs off, above about 40mph the beads also blow off in streaks, you
hardly need the wipers on. The nasty smeary traffic film doesn't
build up either. There is a brief period after a wipe in light rain
where you have a very fine mist of beads but they quickly disappear
to a crystal clear screen.

As has been said judder is down to the angles being wrong or the
blade to stiff (old) to flip/flop properly.

I used steel wool to remove it all and the windscreen was back to
normal.

Nicely frosted?

Treat yourself to a new flat set and you'll never look back.

"flat set"?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
A garage waxed my (new) windscreen once.

Erm, am I missing something here? Why would one ever want to do that?

Combined shampoo and wax? I use it all the time - but wash the screen
separately.

--
*When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 00:10:09 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
A garage waxed my (new) windscreen once.

Erm, am I missing something here? Why would one ever want to do that?

Combined shampoo and wax? I use it all the time - but wash the screen
separately.

Some (most?) "automatic" carwashes allegedly use some form of wax
emulsion in their processes.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 00:30:57 +0000, Frank Erskine wrote:

Some (most?) "automatic" carwashes allegedly use some form of wax
emulsion in their processes.

That's another reason why I don't use automatic car washes, I did
years ago but suffered with a "waxed windscreen" afterwards.
Personally I don't bother washing the car at all, the rain/spray does
it well enough unless it's only just damp for a long time driving and
the back gets covered in fine silt. I might then clean the lights and
number plate.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 00:30:57 +0000, Frank Erskine wrote:

Some (most?) "automatic" carwashes allegedly use some form of wax
emulsion in their processes.

That's another reason why I don't use automatic car washes, I did
years ago but suffered with a "waxed windscreen" afterwards.
Personally I don't bother washing the car at all, the rain/spray does
it well enough unless it's only just damp for a long time driving and
the back gets covered in fine silt. I might then clean the lights and
number plate.

My experience is that, after going through an automatic car wash, the
windscreen usually does appear to be slightly 'water-repellent', but
this doesn't last long. It certainly doesn't put me off using them (once
in a while).
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
saying something like:

A garage waxed my (new) windscreen once.

Erm, am I missing something here? Why would one ever want to do that?

Done mine a number of times with simonize(sp) or something when doing
the rest of the van.
Never had a problem with beading nor anything else.

I've done it a few times when using the type of carshampoo-wiv-wax
innit. Only had a problem once but it cleared up reasonably quickly with
my demon screenwash mix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 23, 11:44*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

The best solution I *have found is the cheapest detergent *you can find.
That strips the oil from the lass and blades.

My lass doesn't use oil.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

Each to their own but Rain X is the only thing that has ever made my
windscreen wipers judder. Excellent at first but after it wears off which in
my case was very quickly it was terrible. Great for the side windows though

I used steel wool to remove it all and the windscreen was back to
normal.

Nicely frosted?

Not at all. I take it you have never tried steel wool on glass? It
completely cleans it. I probably do it to the household cars once a year to
get all the crap off. It is crystal clear afterwards.
When I was young and foolish I got a car resprayed by a backstreet vendor
and he had left overspray on a couple of windows. I complained and he said
to try steel wool. Thought he was at it at first so tried a corner and
haven't looked back since.

Treat yourself to a new flat set and you'll never look back.

"flat set"?

As in "most" modern cars
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165620

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Tiler" no@ta wrote:

As in "most" modern cars
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...oreId_10001_ca
talogId_10151_productId_263219_langId_-1_categoryId_165620

Oh, you mean stupid over-priced aftermarket snake oil ****. You should
have said.