Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Automatic windscreen wipers and frost

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Laminated windscreens are pretty damn tough

Really? Far easier to crack than the older toughened type. Difference
is
they don't shatter.

You'd not make a table top out of laminated.

There is a big difference between the laminated screens in cars and
laminated glass you buy in sheets.

Car stuff is toughened and then laminated.

Really? How does it manage to crack, then?

Sharp edges of stones usually.

Laminated glass is float glass laminated and is not toughened at all.
If it were toughened you couldn't cut it to size.

There is nothing to stop you using toughened laminated glass for
furniture other than the cost.
You will find that toughened laminated glass is used in places like
escalators if you look.

I can see that - where both maximum resistance to impact and it retaining
strength if broken is needed. But don't think this applies to car screens.

It does actually.

--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 00:53:03 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 21:43:43 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk wrote:

My current car combines the "auto on/off" with a single wipe, which is
****ing annoying. Luckily a quick pull to wash doesn't have time to fire
the washer but does a wipe ...

The auto wipers work well on my car, variable sensitivity to rain and
go from a single wipe as required to double speed flat out. Trouble
is the "single wipe as required" can happen on a lightly fly splatted
windscreen converting it from one can be seen through to one with
smeared fly splat that isn't... The auto doesn't cancel when you
switch off, but static snow frost doesn't trigger 'em. The heated
windscreen means that the blades aren't still frozen to the screen by
the time the rain sensor "sees water" and triggers a wipe. With frost
and light snow it's almost a fully automatic self clear.

The auto lights are weird too ,,.

Mine come on a little before I'd think, "hum ought to turn the lights
on",

Surely that's adjustable?

And do they have two brightnesses, where you turn on sides, then dips?

so they stay in auto, unless the hill fog is getting a bit thick
and I switch dipped off and just use the front fogs. Far less glare,
not much reach but then visibilty will be down to only a few tens of
yards anyway.

What they will do is switch off in bright daylight fog! Ok there is a
light on the instrument panel but if you're concentrating on what's
outside. I wish it would "bong" when ever it changes the state of an
indicator lamp. Ideally "bong" for pay attention and "bing" for
happy.

It's not as if it has a shortage of bongs. It'll use them with gay
abandon if the car is moving and your seatbelt isn't fastened, a door
is open and engine running and/or lights left on.

If it's bright daylight, the fog isn't thick enough to see lights. What distance of visibility do you have at that point?

--
A Irish family is sitting in the living room.
The wife turns to the husband and says, "Let's send the kids out back to p-l-a-y , so we can ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 11:05:25 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
The auto wipers work well on my car, variable sensitivity to rain and
go from a single wipe as required to double speed flat out. Trouble
is the "single wipe as required" can happen on a lightly fly splatted
windscreen converting it from one can be seen through to one with
smeared fly splat that isn't... The auto doesn't cancel when you
switch off, but static snow frost doesn't trigger 'em. The heated
windscreen means that the blades aren't still frozen to the screen by
the time the rain sensor "sees water" and triggers a wipe. With frost
and light snow it's almost a fully automatic self clear.

I've had two different makes with rain sensing wipers. Both I'd guess with
Bosch systems being German cars.

Neither works perfectly in town. Too much a build up of rain on the screen
before they wipe. I end up using the single wipe function they both have.

Are you certain your works after switching off the engine? If it is always
'ready' if the stalk is left in the auto position, it would come on when
say using a car wash. Which might just remove the wipers.

Then turn it off before entering, there's probably a warning sign on the wash.

Silly to make something car wash proof and ruin its everyday use.

--
"Okay, okay, I take it back! Un**** you!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 13:38:53 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

On 15/01/2017 12:10, charles wrote:

one car I owned allowed me to vary the interval. It might have been a SEAT.

Many cars allow that, most owners never read the manual to know how.

On a corsa you hold the stalk down for as long as you want between wipes
and it remembers that. Easy if you know how.

I've had it on two cars, and both were obvious that they were there. A twist switch on the wiper stalk.

--
If it weren't for electricity, we'd all be watching television by candlelight. -- Geroge Gobel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 13:30:33 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Laminated windscreens are pretty damn tough

Really? Far easier to crack than the older toughened type. Difference is
they don't shatter.

You'd not make a table top out of laminated.

There is a big difference between the laminated screens in cars and
laminated glass you buy in sheets.

Car stuff is toughened and then laminated.

Laminated glass is float glass laminated and is not toughened at all.
If it were toughened you couldn't cut it to size.

There is nothing to stop you using toughened laminated glass for
furniture other than the cost.
You will find that toughened laminated glass is used in places like
escalators if you look.

Some glass seems to be indestructible on the large surface, but if you tap the corner of it (not in a frame), it falls to bits.

--
My Wife was at the beauty shop for two hours. That was only for the estimate.
She got a mudpack and looked great for two days. Then the mud fell off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 17:01:10 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

If you've dribbled urine on your fingers, then a rinse will do.

Urine is sterile...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 06:13:19 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

By the time the side windows have been squirted and cleared even

frozen
on snow will just slide off the heated front and rear screens.

B-)

NOt really, even with electrically heated ones.

Must have imagined sliding the 2" of snow off the screen last week
then letting the auto wipers deal with it once the sensor saw water
blobs instead of snow.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 18:09:59 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 17:01:10 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

If you've dribbled urine on your fingers, then a rinse will do.

Urine is sterile...

Not when it goes off.

--
Excuse me sir, are you playing the bagpipes or deflating your cat?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 11:07:44 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Laminated windscreens are pretty damn tough

Really? Far easier to crack than the older toughened type. Difference is
they don't shatter.

You'd not make a table top out of laminated.

Can't really think why not, other than the slight risk that as
laminated will break into shards that may detach from the plastic
layer it poses a bigger risk than the (still piggin' sharp) bits that
toughened fails to.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 18:17:26 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 06:13:19 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

By the time the side windows have been squirted and cleared even

frozen
on snow will just slide off the heated front and rear screens.

B-)

NOt really, even with electrically heated ones.

Must have imagined sliding the 2" of snow off the screen last week
then letting the auto wipers deal with it once the sensor saw water
blobs instead of snow.

Snow just puts a strain on the motor. The problem is when the rubber is frozen to the screen.

--
Bad command or file name! Go stand in the corner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 15:42:57 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

The auto lights are weird too ,,.

Mine come on a little before I'd think, "hum ought to turn the

lights
on",

Surely that's adjustable?

If it is I've not found it.

And do they have two brightnesses, where you turn on sides, then dips?

Fairly new car so has DLRs. The DLRs are brighter than the sides and
come on when you switch the lights to "off" or "auto" with a high
light level. With low light level the DLRs are switched off and
headlights on, but in the state they where last used, (dipped/main).
Being rural if I arrive home at night I'll be on main beam...

The side light position switches the DLRs off and sidelights on.

If it's bright daylight, the fog isn't thick enough to see lights. What
distance of visibility do you have at that point?

I've not driven in daylight fog since the occasion that the damn
thing silently switched the lights off(*). Well switched to DLRs at
the front but switched the rear lights and rear fogs off. IIRC
visibilty was such that dipped head lights and rear lights should
have been on. This was on a quiet motorway, rear fogs a good idea, so
the wazzocks doing 70 plus have as much chance as possible of seeing
me... (yes I do know how to switch them off and do so when visibilty
is reasonable and/or there is some one following me).

(*) Of course now I know it might silently switch things off I may
well select "manual".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 11:05:25 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Are you certain your works after switching off the engine?

Well clearing the snow from the screen last week they came on
automagically when I pushed the snow off and water blobs were left.

If it is always 'ready' if the stalk is left in the auto position, it
would come on when say using a car wash.

They would, see the comment about them coming on with a fly splatted
screen...

Of course even the earlier intermittent wipe isn't perfect. Needs a
different interval depending on how light the rain is.

I think her indoors Fiesta had a sort of "learning" intermittent.
With the switch in "intermittent" it remembered the interval between
manual uses of the single wipe.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 18:48:11 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 15:42:57 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

The auto lights are weird too ,,.

Mine come on a little before I'd think, "hum ought to turn the

lights
on",

Surely that's adjustable?

If it is I've not found it.

How absurd that personal preference for lighting is not included. What's the chances of its setting being anything like what you want?

And do they have two brightnesses, where you turn on sides, then dips?

Fairly new car so has DLRs. The DLRs are brighter than the sides and
come on when you switch the lights to "off" or "auto" with a high
light level. With low light level the DLRs are switched off and
headlights on, but in the state they where last used, (dipped/main).
Being rural if I arrive home at night I'll be on main beam...

If I get a car with DRLs, the first thing I'll do is disable them. Shining bright lights at people when it's broad daylight is beyond stupid. It does not make you more visible, it just distracts people.

The side light position switches the DLRs off and sidelights on.

If it's bright daylight, the fog isn't thick enough to see lights. What
distance of visibility do you have at that point?

I've not driven in daylight fog since the occasion that the damn
thing silently switched the lights off(*). Well switched to DLRs at
the front but switched the rear lights and rear fogs off. IIRC
visibilty was such that dipped head lights and rear lights should
have been on. This was on a quiet motorway, rear fogs a good idea, so
the wazzocks doing 70 plus have as much chance as possible of seeing
me... (yes I do know how to switch them off and do so when visibilty
is reasonable and/or there is some one following me).

(*) Of course now I know it might silently switch things off I may
well select "manual".

What distance of visibility did you have for unlit objects?

--
Confucius say: "Man who sit on tack get point!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
Of course even the earlier intermittent wipe isn't perfect. Needs a
different interval depending on how light the rain is.

I think her indoors Fiesta had a sort of "learning" intermittent.
With the switch in "intermittent" it remembered the interval between
manual uses of the single wipe.

Our Fiesta has an adjustable setting on the control stalk but no
automatics of any sort.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2017 21:34, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
Of course even the earlier intermittent wipe isn't perfect. Needs a
different interval depending on how light the rain is.

I think her indoors Fiesta had a sort of "learning" intermittent.
With the switch in "intermittent" it remembered the interval between
manual uses of the single wipe.

Our Fiesta has an adjustable setting on the control stalk but no
automatics of any sort.

I remember a montego having something like that at the end of the 80s.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 21:34:12 -0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
Of course even the earlier intermittent wipe isn't perfect. Needs a
different interval depending on how light the rain is.

I think her indoors Fiesta had a sort of "learning" intermittent.
With the switch in "intermittent" it remembered the interval between
manual uses of the single wipe.

Our Fiesta has an adjustable setting on the control stalk but no
automatics of any sort.

The Fiesta is the bottom of Ford's range.

--
According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Wolfgang Butterballs of Staines, England jettisoned a record 813ml of ejaculate on June 22, 1997. The average is 3.5ml.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive George wrote:
On 17/01/2017 21:34, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
Of course even the earlier intermittent wipe isn't perfect. Needs a
different interval depending on how light the rain is.

I think her indoors Fiesta had a sort of "learning" intermittent.
With the switch in "intermittent" it remembered the interval between
manual uses of the single wipe.

Our Fiesta has an adjustable setting on the control stalk but no
automatics of any sort.

I remember a montego having something like that at the end of the 80s.

Both the cars I've had with rain sensing wipers have an adjustment switch
on the stalk. The older car had 5 settings - this one only 3. And if they
do anything useful, I've not found out what that is. ;-)

--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/17 18:17, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 06:13:19 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

By the time the side windows have been squirted and cleared even

frozen
on snow will just slide off the heated front and rear screens.

B-)

NOt really, even with electrically heated ones.

Must have imagined sliding the 2" of snow off the screen last week
then letting the auto wipers deal with it once the sensor saw water
blobs instead of snow.

snow yes, ice no.

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 00:40:26 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Clive George wrote:
On 17/01/2017 21:34, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
Of course even the earlier intermittent wipe isn't perfect. Needs a
different interval depending on how light the rain is.

I think her indoors Fiesta had a sort of "learning" intermittent.
With the switch in "intermittent" it remembered the interval between
manual uses of the single wipe.

Our Fiesta has an adjustable setting on the control stalk but no
automatics of any sort.

I remember a montego having something like that at the end of the 80s.

Both the cars I've had with rain sensing wipers have an adjustment switch
on the stalk. The older car had 5 settings - this one only 3. And if they
do anything useful, I've not found out what that is. ;-)

It tells the car your capitalistic desires, which being a leftie car, it ignores.

--
I asked a Chinese girl for her number. She said, "Sex! Sex! Sex! Free sex tonight!" I said, "Wow!" Then her friend said, "She means 666-3629."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 02:22:38 -0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 17/01/17 18:17, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 06:13:19 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

By the time the side windows have been squirted and cleared even

frozen
on snow will just slide off the heated front and rear screens.

B-)

NOt really, even with electrically heated ones.

Must have imagined sliding the 2" of snow off the screen last week
then letting the auto wipers deal with it once the sensor saw water
blobs instead of snow.

snow yes, ice no.

What do you mean "no"? Did your wipers try to clear ice and rip them?

--
Acupuncturists do it with a small prick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 18:22:46 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

By the time the side windows have been squirted and cleared even
frozen on snow will just slide off the heated front and rear

screens.
B-)

NOt really, even with electrically heated ones.

Must have imagined sliding the 2" of snow off the screen last week
then letting the auto wipers deal with it once the sensor saw

water
blobs instead of snow.

Snow just puts a strain on the motor. The problem is when the rubber is
frozen to the screen.

Even if they are by the time the frost has melted to water blobs that
the sensor sees as "rain" the blades won't be frozen to the screen.
They might still be encased in ice but the ice/glass bond will be
very weak.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 20:52:04 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 18:22:46 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

By the time the side windows have been squirted and cleared even
frozen on snow will just slide off the heated front and rear

screens.
B-)

NOt really, even with electrically heated ones.

Must have imagined sliding the 2" of snow off the screen last week
then letting the auto wipers deal with it once the sensor saw

water
blobs instead of snow.

Snow just puts a strain on the motor. The problem is when the rubber is
frozen to the screen.

Even if they are by the time the frost has melted to water blobs that
the sensor sees as "rain" the blades won't be frozen to the screen.
They might still be encased in ice but the ice/glass bond will be
very weak.

How does the detector work? So whatever it does it only senses liquid water?

--
Thought for the Day:
The Bible teaches us to love your neighbour, and the Kama Sutra explains how.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 21:44:23 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

How does the detector work? So whatever it does it only senses liquid
water?

Scatter/reflection of infrared light from blobs of water on the
screen I think. Snow and frost aren't blobs...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:39:23 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 21:44:23 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

How does the detector work? So whatever it does it only senses liquid
water?

Scatter/reflection of infrared light from blobs of water on the
screen I think. Snow and frost aren't blobs...

Clever, I thought it was just electrical resistance.

And doesn't frost reflect just like water?

--
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one -- George Bernard Shaw

Nissan Tino wipers solved (Thank uou!!) Phil K[_2_] UK diy 9 January 18th 15 06:55 PM
Juddering Wipers TheScullster UK diy 42 March 2nd 11 06:52 PM
Making windscreen wipers Matty F UK diy 3 July 12th 10 01:07 AM
How do car blinkers and intermittent wipers work? JeffM Electronics 2 February 17th 04 08:23 AM
Windscreen wipers frozen to windshield George Eberhardt Home Repair 30 January 29th 04 06:57 PM