Posted to uk.d-i-y
grjw grjw is offline

Default Automatic windscreen wipers and frost

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Laminated windscreens are pretty damn tough

Really? Far easier to crack than the older toughened type. Difference
is
they don't shatter.

You'd not make a table top out of laminated.

There is a big difference between the laminated screens in cars and
laminated glass you buy in sheets.

Car stuff is toughened and then laminated.

Really? How does it manage to crack, then?

Sharp edges of stones usually.

Laminated glass is float glass laminated and is not toughened at all.
If it were toughened you couldn't cut it to size.

There is nothing to stop you using toughened laminated glass for
furniture other than the cost.
You will find that toughened laminated glass is used in places like
escalators if you look.

I can see that - where both maximum resistance to impact and it retaining
strength if broken is needed. But don't think this applies to car screens.

It does actually.

--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.